The wrong players (1 Viewer)

Otis

Barton, Brown, Malaga, Ball, Elliot et al.

Eakin is right. The players we brought in were not good enough.

9 players in pre-season. How could we cock up so badly?

Covstu

Indeed, you normally would say one or two would be bad signings but all of em? Highly unlikely! Maybe that was AT parting shot, maybe he knew he was out ofnthe door...

ccfcway

Moussa, Henderson, Reckord, Bailey

They all improving the team ??

Thats pretty much an entire midfield isnt it ?

TheHellion

I see it like this. Last season, there was a general consensus (correctly) that we did not have enough depth in the squad to cover for injuries, suspensions, fatigue. The result of that was clear for everyone to see. SISU recognised this, and admitted that we needed more cover, but unfortunately their condition was it had to be done on as small a budget as possible. Consequently, we've signed a lot of players to cover, but who are short of the Quality we need. We now have the depth in personnel, but not the depth in quality.

Otis

Jennings may be okay in time, but Elliot & Barton seem to have disappeared into the ether, Brown looks shocking, Kilbane looks shot, Ball looks very average. Fleck is a bit of a luxury.

We bought the wrong players.

Pace, strength, width. That should have been the remit.

stupot07

Jennings may be okay in time, but Elliot & Barton seem to have disappeared into the ether, Brown looks shocking, Kilbane looks shot, Ball looks very average. Fleck is a bit of a luxury.

Completely agree Otis, we've been saying this since pre-season.

Davo

Agree 100%.
We have no leaders in our side either. The fact baker is captain (and I'm not a baker hater) proves that

Grendel

Moussa, Henderson, Reckord, Bailey

They all improving the team ??

Thats pretty much an entire midfield isnt it ?

Reckord is a full back. The fact that he signed loan players on Day One shows what he really thinks of the team. Bailey is OK and we have lost one game when he has played the full 90 minutes.

SBS

Agree with TheHellions post, we've got the numbers now but not the quality. Thorn said in preseason that he'd studied previous league winners - they'd all had height in the team and that was the remit. in theory maybe, but there's more than one way to win a game of football. I'd agree with Otis that it should have been pace, strength and width. The big problem I can see and for the life of me can't understand why Thorn didn't is fitness. If you take a glance at our fixture list, I think we've played at the weekend, then midweek, then the weekend again from the start of the season until just before the Swindon game. To get out of this league you need to be able to play game after game. Last season we couldn't manage 80 minutes, this season it seems to be worse. The amount of goals we've conceded towards the end of games is horrifying and I don't think its one big coincidence.

Unfortunately, for this reason, I think this campaign is already a write off. I'd love to be wrong, but with the games coming thick and fast there isn't a great deal Robins can do, I think he's even said that himself. I have got a feeling though that he has been working on a fitness with a couple of players (McDonald mainly) and that's why we haven't seen a great deal of them in games recently - a sort of midseason preseason if that makes sense! That is probably the best he can do at the moment, I bet he was mortified when he saw the state of some of them at his first training session.

Otis

Bailey and McGoldrick look the two best players out of all the signings we have made.

Biggest problem is that we seem have brought in two many flash Harry players when we needed to bring in those with heart, fight and spirit and big bouncy fook-off balls of steel rather than those with silky skills.

skybluejelly

just got back from the match..once again they seem to get the ball in good positions then turn round and run back toward our own goal..too many misplaced passes and mousa was shocking ..same goes for reckord , hussey,and kilblane. god knows whos going to play left back..

wingy

Anyone got any views on how Bigi would have fared in this division? I know at the time left we all thought it was best cos this leagues a battle ,but considering the Geordies are moulding him in the Tiote role ,we might have missed atrick ,shit just remembered we needed to balance the books.:thinking about:

covcity4life

i woukldnt say they are all bad,just fitted thorns sytem and not robins

we do need a clearout though and a COMPLETLEY different squad brought in over xmass and next summer

jennings,macdonald, elliott, fleck,cameron,murphy,christie and thomas are only players i would keep personnaly out of the permanent players, i personally like barton but not sure he fits in a robins team,i would keep himt hough

although if robins manages to make current players show that urgency and pride for the shirt,we may never need this convo. but it doesnt look likely right now

Paxman II

Following up a little here....

Where is Bell? How long can you possibly be unfit as a pro footballer?
Thomas hailed by Liverpool a season or so back?

I think as with all players (more so at this level) you are never sure of what you will get. Of the players we brought in half are proving good and half poor which is about average for any club I suspect.

Grendel

Following up a little here....

Where is Bell? How long can you possibly be unfit as a pro footballer?
Thomas hailed by Liverpool a season or so back?

I think as with all players (more so at this level) you are never sure of what you will get. Of the players we brought in half are proving good and half poor which is about average for any club I suspect.

Which half are proving good?

Paxman II

It's a generalisation.

I do think there are a few good ones which include: Edjenguele, Moussa, Baily, Henderson, Reckard, Fleck and McGoldrick.

That makes 7.

The ones I think are of less value: Brown, Killbane, Jennings, Malaga, Ball, Barton and Elliot.

That also makes 7.

Of course it's a matter of opinion. ;)

Paxman II

Henderson has not had much opportunity yet so you can't simply dismiss him before seeing him regular for a few games so one keeps him as acceptable at this stage.

.....The others however have had their opportunity to be fully looked at and opinions formed.

Otis

Henderson has not had much opportunity yet so you can't simply dismiss him before seeing him regular for a few games so one keeps him as acceptable at this stage.

.....The others however have had their opportunity to be fully looked at and opinions formed.

You can't dismiss him, but by the same token, you can't include him either.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

It's a generalisation.

I do think there are a few good ones which include: Edjenguele, Moussa, Baily, Henderson, Reckard, Fleck and McGoldrick.

That makes 7.

The ones I think are of less value: Brown, Killbane, Jennings, Malaga, Ball, Barton and Elliot.

That also makes 7.

Of course it's a matter of opinion. ;)

Moussa? He certainly wasn't good last night. I'd say McGoldrick, Bailey and Fleck are good. The rest are poor and not up to standard.

Otis

I think Fleck is probably the one luxury player we should keep in the team at the moment.

Think we can only afford one at any one time. We have a fair few luxury players here (Baker, Barton, Moussa, McShuff). Too many of them played together in the same team at the same time though.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Moussa is so wasteful on the ball, I like his energy an attacking intent from midfield but he misplaces or plays so many passes that were not even on and goes straight to the opposition. Would be better as a winger or in a more advanced role rather than a conventional 4-4-2 Cm as his misplaced passes around the centre circle often set up the opposition for a quick counter

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think Fleck is probably the one luxury player we should keep in the team at the moment.

Think we can only afford one at any one time. We have a fair few luxury players here (Baker, Barton, Moussa, McShuff). Too many of them played together in the same team at the same time though.
Having Sheff and Barton in the team is more a burden than a luxury

Users who are viewing this thread