The Truth (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

There's been a lot of truthful/untruthful things said about Pressley and thought it's time he's given the praise and criticism he deserves..

1) Pressley DID develop young players such as Callum Wilson and Christie (and improved Moussa & Clarke's game)

Before Pressley joined the club, Wilson, being the obvious example, played 12 games for us scoring 1 goal. He had loan spells at Tamworth and Kettering for christ sake. He did not at all like ever making it for us and was on the verge of release once or twice. Are you telling me that in the Summer before the 13/14 season he just magic'd from a Non-league maybe into an England Under 21 Striker on fire in front of net?

Moussa was ok-ish under Robins scored 6 in 46 games from Midfield. Last year under Pressley, 14 in 46 with 12 assists. He came on leaps and bounds under the man. The same applies to L.Clarke - his game improved massively, from a lower league journeyman to someone who did some good work of the ball.

Everyone with any genuine talent who has left us for financial reasons (was bought/got a bigger contract/we couldn't afford their wages) Wilson, Christie, Moussa, L.Clarke, Christie, Murphy, Baker - has left a better player- Not one person can argue that.

2) The Quality of the Players that left at the end of last season WERE NOT replaced in any form.
I don't care what Waggot says about the level of budget - nobody can argue that any of the above, forementioned players have been replaced with respectable quality players.

We lost millions and millions of pounds worth of promising talent and players approaching their peak - we 'replaced' them with a Loan Reserve Sheffield Weds. striker (Madine) and a 'marquee' signing in Journeyman, Tudgay who has scored 11 goals in the last 5years!!

TO summarise - We lost around 60 goals A SEASON in Wilson, Clarke and Moussa and you're trying to tell me Madine (32 goals in the last 5 years ACs), F. Nouble (14 goals in the last 5 years ACs) and Tudgay (11 goals in the last 5 years ACs) are suitable acceptable replacements?! Get fucking real.

To put this in simple terms - it's like owning a laundrette with 5 good quality washing machines. One day someone comes in and offers you £1000 for all of your 5 washing machines. You accept and decide to replace your washing machines with a bucket and sponge in the corner, because you want the 1k in your pocket- but you still expect your laundrette to keep the same profit coming in each week... it's a stupid analogy but a simple way of looking at the task that was facing Pressley.

We couldn't train or age the next batch of academy kids quick enough to replace the batch just sold. I believe A Phillips, Maddison and G Thomas will go on to establish themsleves in our team.

3) Sometimes YES Pressley was tactically naive and inexperienced. But there was also many a time - even as Waggot has acknowledged, that the players brought in in the summer, completely let themselves down as professional footballers. Goes with the territory of rejects, freebies, loan players and other clubs cast offs.

4) I go to the games - At Oldham, Crewe and on saturday, tactically it was Pressley's doing, we sat back and lost 2 key points.

Last season, dumped in shithole Northampton, with no fans, no kits, no money, no hope. We tore teams to pieces and played some cracking football, with pace, that was also Pressley's doing.

He didn't turn into an appalling manager. We've lost our way this season, but there is no way he can be blamed for that. He can clearly train and work with academy's and developing players. I wish him all the best, a passionate bloke who didn't whinge and moan and runaway like the beloved Robins. He talked some bollocks sometimes but ultimately put his bollocks on the line, many a time.

Thanks and All the best to the bloke.

Last edited:

wingy

One or two Inconsistencies there ELB
Moussa only joined us In Dec /Jan when he scored the Six goals
LC had been Scoring prolifically for Scunthorpe and I think got off the ground Well under Robbins tutelage
Finally he may Indeed do well with youngsters but he Is no manager of Men or seasoned Pro's IMO

EDIT ;- Maddison will be of. to Spurs In the Summer

Last edited:

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

LC had been Scoring politically for Scunthorpe and I think got off the ground Well under Robbins tutelage
Finally he may Indeed do well with youngsters but he Is no manager of Men or seasoned Pro's IMO

Moussa managed to play 46 games in both seasons in all competitions.

L Clarke, I accept he had scored goals for lower league teams, 'lower league journeyman', but he moved up a level with us and Pressley, from Scunthorpe to us to Wolves, he improved him.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Difficult to argue that when Christie and Baker left they were better players, too. Both had dipped badly the second half of the season, both had done well prior to Pressley.

Again, I accept, that both had wained, but one now plays for Derby at the top of the Championship (or thereabouts) every week, the other is scoring regularly for MK Dons. I think they both left better players to better (positioned) teams. I think its well seen that Baker leaving was because of money issues.

shy_tall_knight

SP hasn't brought one decent player into the club and there have been many, his bomb squad tactic, the revolving door of endless numbers of average players, Worcester City, Oldham & Gillingham away lacked the ability to effectively motivate and manage professional footballers

stupot07

L Clarke, I accept he had scored goals for lower league teams, 'lower league journeyman', but he moved up a level with us and Pressley, from Scunthorpe to us to Wolves, he improved him.

Clarke didn't move up a level to us at all. He was already a prolific League One goal scorer

Prior to us (league one):
Oldham 07/08 3 goals 5 games
Southern 07/08 8 goals 16 games
Chesterfield 11/12 9 goals 14 games
Charlton 11/12 0 goals 7 games (he only started 1 game)
Scunthorpe 12/13 11 goals 15 games

In league one he'd been prolific goalscorer before he even came to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Joy Division

Pressley did not 'develop' Callum Wilson, he was always very highly thought of through the youth system and was not on the verge of release. He suffered some unfortunate injuries which hindered his playing time in the years previous.

Talking nonsense.

SkyBlue_Bear83

If your gonna title a tread called the truth at least have the decency to get you facts right

Before Pressley joined the club, Wilson, being the obvious example, played 12 games for us scoring 1 goal.

Wrong, Wilson had 3/4 sub appearances before Pressley joined. When Pressley was appointed at the back end of 12/13 he started giving him more minutes and his first goal for us was under Pressley in the 2-2 draw vs Colchester.

Players like Christie and Baker regressed under Pressley.

You go on about goals scored by Tudgay, Nouble and so on over the last 5 years but look at the records of Clarke, Moussa and Wilson of the 5 years before they joined and they will probably come out worse.

Attacking wise (defensively he's always been clueless) Pressley largely got the best out of some really good players at this level which he inherited, name one good attacking signing he has made who has played more than 5 games for the club? When it was up to him to identify and sign players, he failed miserably and don't tell me its down to the budget because that is a lie, there are players within our budget who can score goals at this level.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

If your gonna title a tread called the truth at least have the decency to get you facts right

Before Pressley joined the club, Wilson, being the obvious example, played 12 games for us scoring 1 goal.

Wrong, Wilson had 3/4 sub appearances before Pressley joined. When Pressley was appointed at the back end of 12/13 he started giving him more minutes and his first goal for us was under Pressley in the 2-2 draw vs Colchester.

Players like Christie and Baker regressed under Pressley.

You go on about goals scored by Tudgay, Nouble and so on over the last 5 years but look at the records of Clarke, Moussa and Wilson of the 5 years before they joined and they will probably come out worse.

Attacking wise (defensively he's always been clueless) Pressley largely got the best out of some really good players at this level which he inherited, name one good attacking signing he has made who has played more than 5 games for the club? When it was up to him to identify and sign players, he failed miserably and don't tell me its down to the budget because that is a lie, there are players within our budget who can score goals at this level.

a) Great so you proved my point anyway, it was Pressley that began Wilson's development as I sure as hell do not remember him playing under Robins.

b) What the hell are you on about? My point was Wilson, L Clarke and Moussa scored collectively more in one season than any of those fuckers had in 5 years! Jesus Christ.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

SkyBlue_Bear83

b) What the hell are you on about? My point was Wilson, L Clarke and Moussa scored collectively more in one season than any of those fuckers had in 5 years! Jesus Christ.

Yes and why is it that? It is because Pressley has no idea how to spot a decent player.

Wilson, Clarke and Moussa weren't world beaters before they joined us, if you look at there records of the previous 5 years before the 13/14 season they will be as poor before they joined us Tudgay, Nouble etc. in the case of Clarke and Moussa they were good players for us because Robins knew how to spot a decent player who had been having a tough time where ever they had been.

Name me a good attacking player Pressley has signed who played more than a handful of games.

Astute

a) Great so you proved my point anyway, it was Pressley that began Wilson's development as I sure as hell do not remember him playing under Robins.

Wilson had the ability but was too lightweight. During the closed season he had bulked up and started the season with a good fitness level. He also had a great Division 1 partner to learn from in Clarke.

If you put it all down to SP would you like to let us all know why the goals dried up and we nosedived after Clarke left? Yes Wilson got injured. But when he came back the clueless one struggled without Clarke and started 1 man up front and not going forward. All our players learned off SP was playing keep ball in their own half which he called dominating games.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

We all acknowledge he lost some talented players. He was sacked because the statistics show he couldn't get results. It wasn't all because of the players bought in to replace those that had gone were inferior but his unwavering praise that everything was absolutely incredible and his players were exceptional in his after match speeches. He had nowhere to go and the fans no longer wanted to listen to the same broken record. He had lost them and Waggot had no alternative.

Astute

We all acknowledge he lost some talented players. He was sacked because the statistics show he couldn't get results. It wasn't all because of the players bought in to replace those that had gone were inferior but his unwavering praise that everything was absolutely incredible and his players were exceptional in his after match speeches. He had nowhere to go and the fans no longer wanted to listen to the same broken record. He had lost them and Waggot had no alternative.

The words he used which we all knew were not true was just the icing on the cake.

The one thing that proves to me that he had to go was simple. Those of us that like to blame SISU for everything that we can had stopped blaming SISU for our results as they could see that our manager had been backed. Maybe he had lost the players he had at the club when he got the job. But he didn't have a clue on how to replace them. And he didn't have a clue how to play those he brought in. All managers lose players. Those of us not deluded know this. The deluded of us blame SISU for the squad SP chose. And over 80% of us knew it was time to get a manager that knows what he is doing.

During pre season there was several of us that could see that we had a squad that was going to struggle this season. Most of us couldn't see it or didn't want to believe it. I remember saying that we were good on the ball but couldn't do much with it. Our players were too small for Division 1. They didn't seem to want to go forward. We signed Reda. A big unit that likes to go forward. Look at the difference when he plays. That is the problem though. WHEN he plays. Fast forward 2/3 of the season. We keep the ball well but do nothing with it. Park the bus in front of our own goal if we ever take the lead and invite the other side to attack us instead of trying to kill the game off.

standupforcity

There's been a lot of truthful/untruthful things said about Pressley and thought it's time he's given the praise and criticism he deserves..

1) Pressley DID develop young players such as Callum Wilson and Christie (and improved Moussa & Clarke's game)

Before Pressley joined the club, Wilson, being the obvious example, played 12 games for us scoring 1 goal. He had loan spells at Tamworth and Kettering for christ sake. He did not at all like ever making it for us and was on the verge of release once or twice. Are you telling me that in the Summer before the 13/14 season he just magic'd from a Non-league maybe into an England Under 21 Striker on fire in front of net?

Moussa was ok-ish under Robins scored 6 in 46 games from Midfield. Last year under Pressley, 14 in 46 with 12 assists. He came on leaps and bounds under the man. The same applies to L.Clarke - his game improved massively, from a lower league journeyman to someone who did some good work of the ball.

Everyone with any genuine talent who has left us for financial reasons (was bought/got a bigger contract/we couldn't afford their wages) Wilson, Christie, Moussa, L.Clarke, Christie, Murphy, Baker - has left a better player- Not one person can argue that.

2) The Quality of the Players that left at the end of last season WERE NOT replaced in any form.
I don't care what Waggot says about the level of budget - nobody can argue that any of the above, forementioned players have been replaced with respectable quality players.

We lost millions and millions of pounds worth of promising talent and players approaching their peak - we 'replaced' them with a Loan Reserve Sheffield Weds. striker (Madine) and a 'marquee' signing in Journeyman, Tudgay who has scored 11 goals in the last 5years!!

TO summarise - We lost around 60 goals A SEASON in Wilson, Clarke and Moussa and you're trying to tell me Madine (32 goals in the last 5 years ACs), F. Nouble (14 goals in the last 5 years ACs) and Tudgay (11 goals in the last 5 years ACs) are suitable acceptable replacements?! Get fucking real.

To put this in simple terms - it's like owning a laundrette with 5 good quality washing machines. One day someone comes in and offers you £1000 for all of your 5 washing machines. You accept and decide to replace your washing machines with a bucket and sponge in the corner, because you want the 1k in your pocket- but you still expect your laundrette to keep the same profit coming in each week... it's a stupid analogy but a simple way of looking at the task that was facing Pressley.

We couldn't train or age the next batch of academy kids quick enough to replace the batch just sold. I believe A Phillips, Maddison and G Thomas will go on to establish themsleves in our team.

3) Sometimes YES Pressley was tactically naive and inexperienced. But there was also many a time - even as Waggot has acknowledged, that the players brought in in the summer, completely let themselves down as professional footballers. Goes with the territory of rejects, freebies, loan players and other clubs cast offs.

4) I go to the games - At Oldham, Crewe and on saturday, tactically it was Pressley's doing, we sat back and lost 2 key points.

Last season, dumped in shithole Northampton, with no fans, no kits, no money, no hope. We tore teams to pieces and played some cracking football, with pace, that was also Pressley's doing.

He didn't turn into an appalling manager. We've lost our way this season, but there is no way he can be blamed for that. He can clearly train and work with academy's and developing players. I wish him all the best, a passionate bloke who didn't whinge and moan and runaway like the beloved Robins. He talked some bollocks sometimes but ultimately put his bollocks on the line, many a time.

Thanks and All the best to the bloke.

Thank you...I think this is a fair well balanced post. I don't normally bother to read long posts but I read this one because you address some very important points. But maybe that's because I've always felt Pressley got a raw deal and was pissing against the wind most of the time. It'll be interesting to see what happens to him...I predict a successful future with club owners who support their team and manager. And you're right, he didn't winge...not that kind of bloke. Got pissed off and angry yes, but who wouldn't, when you see your players unable to grasp a game plan. Substitutions were not his strength, and he certainly lost us the game against Sheffield United with those late changes. But I think 'the truth' also is, that he's well out of all this. Glad he didn't run like Robins...he took the flack and 'died with his boots on' as they say. Having said all that, I look forward to Saturday with a fresh sense of anticipation.

Astute

Thank you...I think this is a fair well balanced post. I don't normally bother to read long posts but I read this one because you address some very important points. But maybe that's because I've always felt Pressley got a raw deal and was pissing against the wind most of the time. It'll be interesting to see what happens to him...I predict a successful future with club owners who support their team and manager. And you're right, he didn't winge...not that kind of bloke. Got pissed off and angry yes, but who wouldn't, when you see your players unable to grasp a game plan. Substitutions were not his strength, and he certainly lost us the game against Sheffield United with those late changes. But I think 'the truth' also is, that he's well out of all this. Glad he didn't run like Robins...he took the flack and 'died with his boots on' as they say. Having said all that, I look forward to Saturday with a fresh sense of anticipation.

Didn't run like Robins? Nothing to do with no fooker wanting him?

fernandopartridge

LC had been Scoring prolifically for Scunthorpe and I think got off the ground Well under Robbins tutelage

EDIT ;- Maddison will be of. to Spurs In the Summer

Moussa signed in September and I think his first game was Arsenal in the league cup.

Joy Division

malkitccfc

Regardless, we lost to Worcester in the cup. I can't forgive the manager/players for the humiliation of that day

Gosford Green

Sutton was a freak day, we should have scrapped a draw and thumped them 5-0 in the replay.

Worcester totally out classed us on our own ground. I would like to say the lowest point in our history but hold the front page on that one.

Pressley had the benefit of a team built by Mark Robins, if it was not for the the points deduction and the absurd move to Northampton we would have got promoted that season. When that team got broken up the quality of both his judgement on recruiting players and tactics became apparent.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

And Pressley was in charge when they 'almost' released him as a young boy? He was 14 years old then, you are getting yourself all confused and talking rubbish. Yo need to learn how football clubs work.

Any danger of using your brain? HERES WHAT I ORIGINALLY SAID, very clearly for you:

"Before Pressley joined the club, Wilson, being the obvious example, played 12 games for us scoring 1 goal. He had loan spells at Tamworth and Kettering for christ sake. He did not at all like ever making it for us and was on the verge of release once or twice. Are you telling me that in the Summer before the 13/14 season he just magic'd from a Non-league maybe into an England Under 21 Striker on fire in front of net?"

I was underlining the fact how far Wilson has come, which nobody and I mean nobody can dispute, that Pressley played a key part in. I understand our results lately have been piss poor but there is noway you can try and take away the positive things the man did last season. You deserve David Hockaday.

Grendel

Clarke has always performed well in league one so that comment is inaccurate.

In fact what you seem to overlook is that even with moussa baker Wilson Etc the team achieved less than 1 point a game for the last 21 games. So even with this marvellous squad it was a relegation team under presssley. In fact it was performing worse than the present squad.

Pressleys whole points and win ratio collapsed once Clarke went.

The truth it seems is that Clarke was the fulcrum to success and pressley had little impact at all on proceedings. He was often tactically out thought and defensive strategy non existent. Unfortunate but ultimaty the truth is he was just not very good.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Clarke has always performed well in league one so that comment is inaccurate.

In fact what you seem to overlook is that even with moussa baker Wilson Etc the team achieved less than 1 point a game for the last 21 games. So even with this marvellous squad it was a relegation team under presssley. In fact it was performing worse than the present squad.

Pressleys whole points and win ratio collapsed once Clarke went.

The truth it seems is that Clarke was the fulcrum to success and pressley had little impact at all on proceedings. He was often tactically out thought and defensive strategy non existent. Unfortunate but ultimaty the truth is he was just not very good.

Granted he scored some goals for Chesterfield and that big club Scunthorpe, but you're telling me he didn't improve massively in his time with us enroute back to Wolves?! Another piss poor biased argument.

Clarke.JPG

KG7

Sutton was a freak day, we should have scrapped a draw and thumped them 5-0 in the replay.

Worcester totally out classed us on our own ground. I would like to say the lowest point in our history but hold the front page on that one.

Pressley had the benefit of a team built by Mark Robins, if it was not for the the points deduction and the absurd move to Northampton we would have got promoted that season. When that team got broken up the quality of both his judgement on recruiting players and tactics became apparent.

But he played a completely different style to Mark Robins who relied on a 4-5-1 with out and out wingers and a pacey striker.

Pressley went 4-4-2 with a fluid midfield with Fleck at the base and full backs that played like wingers.

You can't give him sole responsibility of the poor form this season without giving him the responsibility of the good form last season, just because it suits your argument. It might be neat and justify an argument, but sadly, nothing is that simple.

He performed excellently in the first half of last season, and has performed poorly in the middle half of this season.

stupot07

Granted he scored some goals for Chesterfield and that big club Scunthorpe, but you're telling me he didn't improve massively in his time with us enroute back to Wolves?! Another piss poor biased argument.

View attachment 4093

Scunthorpe (L1) 11 goals 15 games (0.73 goals per game
Coventry (L1) 28 goals in 43 games (0.65 goals per game)

Doesn't matter who he scored them for and whether Chesterfield or Scunthorpe are 'smaller' clubs. You could argue his feat at Scunthorpe is even more impressive as they were in and around the relegation zone and didn't contain the quality of wilson, baker and moussa supporting/creating for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Grendel

View attachment 4093

No the only thing that is piss poor is your capabity of interpreting data.

Other than one short spell at charlton Clarke has always scored for fun in league one in spells at Southend and Oldham as well as Chesterfield and Scunthorpe. Likewise he has always struggled to perform in the league above.

Astute

Another piss poor biased argument.

And you seem good at them.

So Clarke joined our club and scored goals like he had been doing before he joined us. SP immediately made him into a better striker. But since then he had signed lots of strikers that he couldn't get to score?

KG7

Scunthorpe (L1) 11 goals 15 games (0.73 goals per game
Coventry (L1) 28 goals in 43 games (0.65 goals per game)

Doesn't matter who he scored them for and whether Chesterfield or Scunthorpe are 'smaller' clubs. You could argue his feat at Scunthorpe is even more impressive as they were in and around the relegation zone and didn't contain the quality of wilson, baker and moussa supporting/creating for him.

Yes but you could also argue that as he was playing as a lone striker with Scunthorpe, and a support striker dropping back into midfield with Pressley, his feat at Coventry was the most impressive of the two.

For the sake of argument, lets also say he was dropping back into midfield in a team predicted to drop into League 2, playing in front of 2,000 fans, and exiled in Northampton...

Astute

Yes but you could also argue that as he was playing as a lone striker with Scunthorpe, and a support striker dropping back into midfield with Pressley, his feat at Coventry was the most impressive of the two.

For the sake of argument, lets also say he was dropping back into midfield in a team predicted to drop into League 2, playing in front of 2,000 fans, and exiled in Northampton...

He had a partner in Wilson that made his job easier with us though.

Users who are viewing this thread