THE 'TREBLE' (1 Viewer)

oscillatewildly

Whilst we while away the hours before our 'big' cup tie and spurred on by the '92 grounds' thread, I got round to thinking how many 'trebles' I'd achieved.
By the term 'treble' I'm proposing having visited a ground and witnessed us play a League fixture, An FA Cup tie and a League Cup tie. Obviously excluding any venue we've ever called 'home', I've calculated my total - One!! - Ewood Park.
Done many a 'double' but to my recollection, just the one 'treble'.
How many have you done and where?

oscillatewildly

West Brom
Man United
Liverpool
Wolves
Might be more having a think.
I remember we played at Anfield twice within 3 or 4 days in Late 1986 - First midweek in a Lg cup tie and then in a Div 1 fixture on the Saturday.
Went to the League game but as I recall, didn't we lose the cup tie courtesy of 3 penalties awarded to them? I remember the irony of their first goal in that league game being a - yep, penalty!
Think we lost 0-2.
You didn't happen to go to the League cup tie up at Anfield, Dec 1977 did you? I didn't but can still recall with envy, the joyous tales from a couple of my bleary eyed school mates the following day.

Magwitch

I remember we played at Anfield twice within 3 or 4 days in Late 1986 - First midweek in a Lg cup tie and then in a Div 1 fixture on the Saturday.
Went to the League game but as I recall, didn't we lose the cup tie courtesy of 3 penalties awarded to them? I remember the irony of their first goal in that league game being a - yep, penalty!
Think we lost 0-2.
You didn't happen to go to the League cup tie up at Anfield, Dec 1977 did you? I didn't but can still recall with envy, the joyous tales from a couple of my bleary eyed school mates the following day.
Yes went to that league cup tie at Anfield, 2-2 there were thousands of Cov there. Filled the Kremlin Road stand end to end and half the Anfield Road terrace. Lost replay at HR 2-0

Last edited:

Magwitch

Let’s be honest Liverpool were arguably the best team in Europe then. At the Anfield match Tommy Hutchison had a long range last minute header harshly disallowed never knew what for.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Let’s be honest Liverpool were arguably the best team in Europe then. At the Anfield match Tommy Hutchison had a long range last minute header harshly disallowed never knew what for.

I was there, it was disallowed because of a shit referee. Nothing changes.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Think we lost 0-2.
I went to that cup game in 86,We lost to three Jan Molby penalties.
Ian Rush great at diving in the box.

no_loyalty

I went to that cup game in 86,We lost to three Jan Molby penalties.
Ian Rush great at diving in the box.

Was this the replay? Vaguely remember the home match was 0-0, with Liverpool playing it back to the keeper for the majority of the game.

Terry Gibson's perm

The only two I am near on would be Sheffield weds fa cup and league. Forest league cup semi final and league games

Magwitch

I went to two Luton cup ties one definitely League cup around 1964, which we won 4-3 but also another played at Filbert Street because Luton weren’t allowed to play at Kenilworth Road something about their pitch but I can’t remember if it was League or FA Cup. We lost 3-1.

Londonccfcfan

West Brom
Man United
Liverpool
Wolves
Might be more having a think.

This is tough...does EFL trophy count?

The only other clubs I can think we done treble away at are;

Leyton Orient, QPR and Southampton...but not sure we have fans old enough!

oscillatewildly

This is tough...does EFL trophy count?

The only other clubs I can think we done treble away at are;

Leyton Orient, QPR and Southampton...but not sure we have fans old enough!
Yeah, EFL is the League cup under one of it's many varied monikers. No Simod or JPT or any other tinpot mickey mouse bun fight comps tho - Just the three principle competitions.

no_loyalty

I went to two Luton cup ties one definitely League cup around 1964, which we won 4-3 but also another played at Filbert Street because Luton weren’t allowed to play at Kenilworth Road something about their pitch but I can’t remember if it was League or FA Cup. We lost 3-1.

It was in the league cup, my first away game.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

For me, I can only remember these 3 for sure

Manchester City seen win in all three
Manchester United seen win in all three
West Bromwich Albion seen win in League , FA Cup but sadly not League cup

I also now think I have done Birmingham City as well.

Last edited:

Frank Sidebottom

Closest I've got is Bristol City, 3-3 draw in the FA Cup and the Championship Relegation game.
Although we've also played them away in the JPT in 2014 and the League cup way back in 76.

Magwitch

The only ones that I am sure about are Liverpool, Everton and WBA
Manchester United is a definite played them in FA Cup at Old Trafford two years running 1986 lost 2-0 and cup winning year won 1-0 and atleast twice in League cup one was when the first round was two legs we drew and won the second leg at HR and the other when we took 11000 there and we won 2-0 when Michael Mifsud ran them ragged.
Liverpool is also a definite.
Thinking back Swindon is another.

Last edited:

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Rochdale might be one a fair few have done.... but wiped from their memories.
2003 FA Cup, 2015 League cup.

Some people may have had the misfortune to go to FA cup and League game in a different era (71 and 91) which were also loses . For those true 'oldies' there was also the 1920 loss in FA cup . Definitely a team to avoid in next round if both City and Rochdale get through!

Magwitch

Went to the 1971 game, twice! First time on the Saturday got all the way to Rochdale only for it to be called off then to the rearranged game only to lose in an awful performance.

Leamington Pete

I’ve definitely got Utd on my list, and confidently thought there wouldn’t be many others who could say that - sure there were only about 150 City fans there when we beat them 1-0 in the League Cup in the early 80s. I seem to have forgotten the mere 10,000 City fans there in 2007!

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Went to the 1971 game, twice! First time on the Saturday got all the way to Rochdale only for it to be called off then to the rearranged game only to lose in an awful performance.

That must have been painful for you.

I have a different but almost as painful recollection of that. . We knew someone from Rochdale and we were sent the local Rochdale newspaper report of the game. Even as an 8 year old I wasn't happy about that.

Then 32 years later, followed FA cup game in 2003 on internet from Australia from 02:00 am to 04:00 am . Another defeat.

I was out for revenge in visit to away league game in 2014 but sadly lost again. Another chance on Feb 22nd which is now nearest game to me after Bury's expulsion.

Last edited:

The Great Eastern

Yes went to that league cup tie at Anfield, 2-2 there were thousands of Cov there. Filled the Kremlin Road stand end to end and half the Anfield Road terrace. Lost replay at HR 2-0
Was that replay at HR when Jimmy Case scored with a thunderous shot from outside the penalty area ?

oscillatewildly

Yes, a worldy Kenny Dalglish got the other
I'll always remember that Liverpool fan leaping out of the newly partitioned kop end visitors pen (pre perimeter fencing) after either Case or Dalglish scored, going on a 'lap of honour' in congratulating the Liverpool team. I think he was still on the pitch when we restarted the game.

Brylowes

Think we lost 0-2.
Read a book on holiday a few years back ...The Boys From The Mersey: Tales from the Annie Rd crew.
There was a reference in it about this cup game in 1977, the author Nick Alt was talking about the team
That bought the most supporters to Anfield he’d ever seen.
His words were something like : I couldn’t believe it ‘Coventry City on a cold foggy Wednesday nigh for
A league cup tie, there must have been 12-14000 of em ‘all wearing sheepskin jackets.
He then went on to describe how they were picking the Cov fans off walking back to Lime st along the
Scotland Rd after the game ‘and everyone up there walking around in Sheepskin jackets for months
After.

NortonSkyBlue

David Cross buried us that day. When he joined us from Norwich I thought he was a great player but shouldn't have been partnering Stein. Too similar. Went on to have a great career at West Ham.

Users who are viewing this thread