The top three places you miss most from Coventry city centre (1 Viewer)

rob9872

My uncles fruit stall from the indoor market, my other uncles veg stall from the indoor market, but most of all .... my granddads Luftwaffe.

NorthernWisdom

Considering the love for Barnbys on the previous thread, surprised nobody's listed them yet.

Anyway, Barnby's
Davies Sports Shop
Whitefriars Pub, The bayliffs turned up one day, and that appears to have been that!

Otis

So you did, must have been the Ciro Citterio horror that distracted me!

(Still own my suede jacket from there, must be 20 years and counting!)
My missus's dad bought a suit for his wedding and it's the only suit he's got and he stills wears it to this very day.

He got married in 1957.

rob9872

My missus's dad bought a suit for his wedding and it's the only suit he's got and he stills wears it to this very day.

He got married in 1957.
Are you sure she's not in the deep freeze Blanco?

chiefdave

All the record stores. I could quite happily spend a Saturday just going round them without going in to any other shops. In particular Spin-a-disc and Soundhouse (especially the brunette that worked in Soundhouse when I was about 16 :drool:

Going to Poster Place and getting tickets. The door and walls covered with the hand written signs of who was playing where and if they were running a coach.

Shambles Arcade and the alternative stores down the Burges back in the days when you had to put some effort into being alternative and couldn't just buy everything off the shelf ready to go.

Nick

Administrator
What was that Music / Video place on the corner down by Blue Banana / Tandy? Was always quite big.

We used to go international to Birmingham for our bid to get the best NBA gear instead of shambles.

chiefdave

What was that Music / Video place on the corner down by Blue Banana / Tandy? Was always quite big.
There's was an Our Price on the corner but that wasn't big. There was Spin-A-Disc on the opposite side after it moved from the lower precinct. Are you talking about the one where Dixons used to be? Can't remember what that was called.

There was loads. Smiths had their own record store opposite the main shop, Woolies, HMV, Revolver. Think there was another one in City Arcade. Then up to Far Gosford Street for Hits and Misses.

Terry Gibson's perm

So you did, must have been the Ciro Citterio horror that distracted me!

(Still own my suede jacket from there, must be 20 years and counting!)

I had a petrol blue blazer from there that i used to wear out might still be at my parents but probably a bit tight now

Terry Gibson's perm

The cafe upstairs in bhs a real treat when my grandma took me there to meet her friend and watch them drink tea not sure if I ever go a drink though

chiefdave

Not been in to the city centre since I moved back to Cov. Just had a look on Google Maps and wish I hadn't.

What the hell happened to it? I know the high street is struggling everywhere but not to that extent.

Otis

Not been in to the city centre since I moved back to Cov. Just had a look on Google Maps and wish I hadn't.

What the hell happened to it? I know the high street is struggling everywhere but not to that extent.
It all went downhill, but is now all being redeveloped.

dutchman

Considering the love for Barnbys on the previous thread, surprised nobody's listed them yet.

Anyway, Barnby's
Davies Sports Shop
Whitefriars Pub, The bayliffs turned up one day, and that appears to have been that!
I remember when it was our local butcher's, the place stank of dead animals. Before that it was an abbatoir, the big door on the right is where the animals went in:
IsNJLtd.jpg

Otis

I remember when it was our local butcher's, the place stank of dead animals. Before that it was an abbatoir, the big door on the right is where the animals went in:
IsNJLtd.jpg

Never knew that. When was this? 1950's?

rob9872

Am I the only one here who didn't understand that?
Sorry Dutch - was supposed to be a joke that my granddad was one of the Cathedral bombers during the Blitz, but I guess if I have to explain it, then it can't be funny ... I'll get my coat! :(

Captain Dart

Anyone miss Fishy Moore's?

Wasn't a place I went to, but people always used to go on about it all the time.
It was the plaice to go. ...

Captain Dart

Completely forgotten about that, what happened to it?

Surprised no mention of this

View attachment 9185
What about the roundabout by the market.

Reminded me of the chocolate vendors who used to hold auctions round the other side of the market, never bought anything but is was entertaining to watch and see the punters buy (the no doubt) overpriced out of sell by date confectionery.

clint van damme

There's was an Our Price on the corner but that wasn't big. There was Spin-A-Disc on the opposite side after it moved from the lower precinct. Are you talking about the one where Dixons used to be? Can't remember what that was called.

There was loads. Smiths had their own record store opposite the main shop, Woolies, HMV, Revolver. Think there was another one in City Arcade. Then up to Far Gosford Street for Hits and Misses.

virgin used to be at the top of the arcade by the birdcage, think it was one of their first shops and was a great place for getting punk records.

Users who are viewing this thread