The Station (1 Viewer)

simonregis

With the early feelgood factor, not only of a couple of wins, but also the style in which they were achieved do you think the new station, opening in September, will bring in more fans?

I have hesitated bringing friends to the game because I sometimes come by train and then taxi from the station in the City centre but now with getting right to the stadium it'll make it more easier.

Otis

Yep. Hopefully it will bring a few more in.

Will be really easy for some to just get to town and grab the train. Also the same coming from Nuneaton and Bedworth in the opposite direction.

simonregis

I think its just a couple of carriages so maybe few hundred but for me I will get to cov station about 11, then catch the new train and make a day of it

skybluetony176

Possibly help bring some fans from Rugby, Leamington and Warwick also. I can't see me using it myself from Rugby unless we're doing a lad's day out but if you can't drive it's about to get a whole lot easier to get to games if you're not from Coventry.

armybike

Here's some info re train station -

Hobo

I was speaking to an Arsenal season ticket holder who has settled in Coventry due to work. They said they wouldn't mind going to a few games at the Ricoh to watch Coventry, but find it such a pain to get to.

I thought it was interesting as some posters on here belittle it when some Coventry fans raise this. Catching buses after six o'clock in certain areas of Coventry is a rarity. Also the journey times can be ridiculous because of the circuitous routes. Last year I caught a bus into town to meet a mate for a drink, The normal 10 minute journey turned into a 40 minute mystery tour of the suburbs.

scouseskyblue

Travelling from Liverpool down to the Ricoh by public transport when you factor in walk plus bus is a nightmare. I can now get a fast train to Nuneaton and train straight to the Ricoh, will knock at least an hour each way off my journey time and be far less stressful. Will be more like 10 games this season rather than the usual 2-3, just because of the train station.

simonregis

If you are under 18 and can't get your parents to drive you up it's very costly. People often complain about the young kids wearing other teams colours but they become interested in 'big' teams because they are always on TV. Now, with the new station theycan come by train with their mates and have no hassle.

CovisGod

Makes my life easier coming from Norfolk, straight to the stadium instead of going into Cov and taxi to the Ricoh

ready_96

I get this train home from work everyday...it's bloody awful and only has one carriage. Talking to one of the ticket collectors the other week, no extra trains will be put on, the service will be exactly the same apart from it being a slightly longer journey due to it stopping at an extra two stops. If your seriously considering using it id think again because you wont be guaranteed to get on it, It probably holds less than a 100 people and that's with people standing in the isle...
On the plus side they hardly ever check for tickets so its a cheap ride home for me :pimp:

pusbccfc

Away fans will love the station being completed.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
ready_96 appears to be correct. I've just tweeted LondonMidland and got this reply -

"Hi, it should be open in September. Until the works a fully completed in 2017,though, we are advising fans to still use the ...existing buses on match days to get to/from the ground whilst we explore the options of adding services to the line"

I then asked if it was therefore a 2-carriage service once an hour and they said yes.

Ashdown

I get this train home from work everyday...it's bloody awful and only has one carriage. Talking to one of the ticket collectors the other week, no extra trains will be put on, the service will be exactly the same apart from it being a slightly longer journey due to it stopping at an extra two stops. If your seriously considering using it id think again because you wont be guaranteed to get on it, It probably holds less than a 100 people and that's with people standing in the isle...
On the plus side they hardly ever check for tickets so its a cheap ride home for me :pimp:

I think if the train line and stops start to take off big time then they will react by putting on extra carriages for sports events and concerts. Demand will lead to supply for sure ! It gives me a great option for a beery day out from Hinckley.

ready_96

The only way around the problem would be to get a very early train and kill the time by sinking 12 pints. Watch us obviously win...then on the way home aggressively barge your drunken state onto the scum class express and slump yourself into a corner....;)

Manchester_sky_blue

It will be brilliant for me, train from Manchester Piccadilly to Coventry and then just hop the train to the arena. Getting a taxi from town to the Ricoh adds massively to the cost of matchdays for me.

jimmyhillsfanclub

ready_96 appears to be correct. I've just tweeted LondonMidland and got this reply -

"Hi, it should be open in September. Until the works a fully completed in 2017,though, we are advising fans to still use the ...existing buses on match days to get to/from the ground whilst we explore the options of adding services to the line"

I then asked if it was therefore a 2-carriage service once an hour and they said yes.

Ha ha....that is, quite frankly, fucking shit.

Covstu

Happy this is going ahead but i do think this is one of many excuses that 'fans' use for not attending games, some make out its on a desert island FFS!

Sky Blue Harry H

Can we dress the trains up as Thomas (not Conor or George) and James (not Maddison) to attract more of the kids to the match :D.

....and if they complain about the entertainment we'll threaten them with the fat controller (TF obviously!)

Sky Blue Harry H

I think if the train line and stops start to take off big time then they will react by putting on extra carriages for sports events and concerts. Demand will lead to supply for sure ! It gives me a great option for a beery day out from Hinckley.

One job i wouldn't want - ticket inspector for that train!

chiefdave

One job i wouldn't want - ticket inspector for that train!

When they used to run a train from Coventry to Villa for matches there they never bothered with a ticket inspector. They never bothered with seats either, god knows where the shitty old carriages came from but there's was no danger of any more damage being done to them!

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
When they used to run a train from Coventry to Villa for matches there they never bothered with a ticket inspector. They never bothered with seats either, god knows where the shitty old carriages came from but there's was no danger of any more damage being done to them!

Ha, yes, special 'local derby' ones. And funny how they could rustle up a few un-timetabled trains in those days and now it's going to take 2 years to add an extra carriage.

M&B Stand

Ha, yes, special 'local derby' ones. And funny how they could rustle up a few un-timetabled trains in those days and now it's going to take 2 years to add an extra carriage.

If there's a lot of demand it'll surely be extended quicker for greater capacity. Give it chance.

Woz01

I'm quite sure I read that they could put trains on every half hour with more carriages for events at the Ricoh when demand required it. Unless it's been scaled down since then.

ccfcway

2017......we will be in our new stadium by then

simonregis

I'm quite sure I read that they could put trains on every half hour with more carriages for events at the Ricoh when demand required it. Unless it's been scaled down since then.

That's what I read too. It will be like a shuttle service between Nuneaton and Coventry, just going to and fro.

Users who are viewing this thread