The Ricoh Affect (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueBlood2

Obviously I'm as delighted as anyone about our return being confirmed. (I finally get my Saturday afternoons back!)
But I wonder what sort of affect playing there will have on our players.
A couple of seasons ago in this league the Ricoh seemed to galvanise the away team, playing in a stadium that wouldn't be out of place in the premier league and not the usual shit holes (like sixfields).
They seemed to raise their game and we dropped an awful lot of points at home.

But now we've been away from the place ourselves for a year, will it have the opposite affect??
Can our own players raise their game and make it a bit of a fortress?!

Discuss!

chiefdave

A lot will come down to how we start. Bright start, win a couple of games and hopefully we can retain a decent sized crowd and a positive atmosphere. A first 45 mins like we had against Cardiff and we all know what will happen.

Big_Ben

Obviously I'm as delighted as anyone about our return being confirmed. (I finally get my Saturday afternoons back!)
A couple of seasons ago in this league the Ricoh seemed to galvanise the away team, playing in a stadium that wouldn't be out of place in the premier league and not the usual shit holes (like sixfields).

But now we've been away from the place ourselves for a year, will it have the opposite affect??

Discuss!

Not to put too much of a downer on it, but I seem to remember some players stating that the 'boo-boys' in the home crowd was having quite a negative effect on performances at the Ricoh. Didn't some say that it had got to the point that they preferred to play away, and some of the results seemed to bear that out?

Ashdown

I don't think it will have any great bearing on results as long as fans don't get on players backs. Sixfields had the atmosphere of a reserve match by all accounts anyway so they'll be used to the odd quiet game. Supportive fans in numbers can only help. Long gone are the days of particularly intimidating away games anyway, that all went largely with the advent of all seater stadiums and the type of supporter that now frequents them.

J

Jack Griffin

Not to put too much of a downer on it, but I seem to remember some players stating that the 'boo-boys' in the home crowd was having quite a negative effect on performances at the Ricoh. Didn't some say that it had got to the point that they preferred to play away, and some of the results seemed to bear that out?

Ermmmm... if the players are too sensitive to cope with your average footie crowd feedback than perhaps they should reconsider their careers.

shmmeee

Ermmmm... if the players are too sensitive to cope with your average footie crowd feedback than perhaps they should reconsider their careers.

Ridiculous statement.

It's basic human psychology, not "too sensitive" FFS. It's very very basic motivational theory, if you want people to do well, you cheer and support them, not boo them.

Say "I like booing people" if you like, but don't pretend it isn't destructive to the team's chances.

italiahorse

Yesterday was an indication and at a similar size stadium we held our own.
It's in our hands to keep it positive at the Ricoh and people need to bear it in mind that these are not the quality players we have been used to. As long as they perform to the best of there ability we should continue to offer encouragement.
I struggle but the positives of returning to the Ricoh should give us a kick start.
Just wish we had a couple of proper wing backs to get that ball to the strikers.

J

Jack Griffin

Ridiculous statement.

It's basic human psychology, not "too sensitive" FFS. It's very very basic motivational theory, if you want people to do well, you cheer and support them, not boo them.

Say "I like booing people" if you like, but don't pretend it isn't destructive to the team's chances.

It isn't a ridiculous statement, of course it makes a difference I never said it doesn't, but it happens & therefore the professional player has to have effective coping strategies.

Chinny_Hill

Discuss!

Perhaps the effect will be diminished now, a lot of our squad are now conditioned to playing in a Sixhole, they will be just as inspired as the opposition.

Paxman II

I think it will have a big positive note to our performance and results. These players I hope have been shown around the Ricoh already and are now rubbing their hands in anticipation of playing there as opposed to sixfileds.

The crowds will be 5 times bigger at least and they will feel like a different team and for that matter club.

It should be inspiring.

I have a feeling this year could just keep getting better for once. No -10 points, a solid start and a new venue for 90% of the players to come. The playoffs look a distinct possibility this year.

RoboCCFC90

I think it will have a big positive note to our performance and results. These players I hope have been shown around the Ricoh already and are now rubbing their hands in anticipation of playing there as opposed to sixfileds.

The crowds will be 5 times bigger at least and they will feel like a different team and for that matter club.

It should be inspiring.

I have a feeling this year could just keep getting better for once. No -10 points, a solid start and a new venue for 90% of the players to come. The playoffs look a distinct possibility this year.

I completely agree Paxman. We must hope that we ride the wave of rhythm and positivity..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr T - Sukka!

I seem to remember Adam Barton was getting some right stick from the Sixfields crowd.

And bear in mind that Ryan Hayes made his debut at the Ricoh and made a few mistakes. No one got on his back and got plenty of encouragement.

I dont get this myth that only the Ricoh is a pit of negatvity.

If the crowd see a tryer they get behind them.

letsallsingtogether

TRUE.

Same old argument know surfacing.
Ricoh only ground in the world with supporters who moan?
Coventry Fans the most negative etc etc.
Funny how a few of the Shitfielders who post on here are the first to moan about players and managers, just listen to the regulars who phoned up after the match?

I for one am a great believer in nobody plays shit on purpose, yes they have a bad day(like most of us) and yes maybe not good enough but they don't do it on purpose so lets get behind them and Maybe just Maybe we will have something to shout about in May. PUSB SOTV

I seem to remember Adam Barton was getting some right stick from the Sixfields crowd.

And bear in mind that Ryan Hayes made his debut at the Ricoh and made a few mistakes. No one got on his back and got plenty of encouragement.

I dont get this myth that only the Ricoh is a pit of negatvity.

If the crowd see a tryer they get behind them.

Leamington Pete

Once we're up and running at the Ricoh it's fair to say our gates might well average around the 12,000 mark (acceptable for League one in my opinion). So as has been mentioned before, we absolutely musn't go back to these 12,000 being spread around the ground amongst empty seats, but condensed a bit by closing sections of the ground. This worked really well for some of the JPT games and created a good atmosphere which really helped the team. The same crowd spread around the whole ground would have been like a reserve game.

kg82

Ridiculous statement.

Footballers are human? Who knew

rupert_bear

The "Ricoh affect" as you put could go two ways, yes it could be an initial boost but a negative I believe is it will raise fan expectation too high, I think anything less than a consistant top 6 challenge and fan fever will quickly wear off . Steve Pressley is now under a different sort of pressure to deliver something better and more consistant, especially at home.

Kingokings204

The "Ricoh affect" as you put could go two ways, yes it could be an initial boost but a negative I believe is it will raise fan expectation too high, I think anything less than a consistant top 6 challenge and fan fever will quickly wear off . Steve Pressley is now under a different sort of pressure to deliver something better and more consistant, especially at home.

Yes I agree but that's good news. We should be striving for top 6 in this league every year. SP may have let his guard down at sixfields and who can blame him? That Cardiff game I watched was enough for anyone to give up.

Now we will get double figure gates to every match with a stadium in Coventry and this will make SP more pressure. Isn't is 5 wins in 25 games or something? That's not good enough. Wins need to happen in the next month or so else he will be gone.

Ricoh arena is a great arena and when sold out it is one of the best in the country IMO. It wasn't built for league 1 football hence the low crowds and lack of atmosphere.

It all looks after itself in my opinion. For example if we start to win games then we will climb the table towards and in the top 6 and then more and more fans will come back which in turn pushes the team on again. It's all looks after itself.

stupot07

Yes I agree but that's good news. We should be striving for top 6 in this league every year. SP may have let his guard down at sixfields and who can blame him? That Cardiff game I watched was enough for anyone to give up.

Now we will get double figure gates to every match with a stadium in Coventry and this will make SP more pressure. Isn't is 5 wins in 25 games or something? That's not good enough. Wins need to happen in the next month or so else he will be gone.

Ricoh arena is a great arena and when sold out it is one of the best in the country IMO. It wasn't built for league 1 football hence the low crowds and lack of atmosphere.

It all looks after itself in my opinion. For example if we start to win games then we will climb the table towards and in the top 6 and then more and more fans will come back which in turn pushes the team on again. It's all looks after itself.

Are you expecting a drop in attendance? A couple of thousand down to double figures? ;)

On a side note 7 of our 23 (30%) of our league games in 2012/13 had attendances of less than 10k....so not guaranteed to get 10k+ at every game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Users who are viewing this thread