The radio bloke (1 Viewer)

tommydazzle

Read something the other day re football nostalgia and it struck a chord - probably won’t mean anything to you whippersnappers - but leaving a match how there often used to be one bloke with a radio tuned into Sports Report. You had to scurry along to keep up with him to catch vital scores and quite a crowd would follow trying to look casual. Were you ever that radio bloke? Take instant scores for granted these days.

wingy

Read something the other day re football nostalgia and it struck a chord - probably won’t mean anything to you whippersnappers - but leaving a match how there often used to be one bloke with a radio tuned into Sports Report. You had to scurry along to keep up with him to catch vital scores and quite a crowd would follow trying to look casual. Were you ever that radio bloke? Take instant scores for granted these days.
It's Otis :)

Brighton Sky Blue

You have no idea buddy-there often is just one bloke with a bar of 4G signal to get the LiveScores app to refresh. All have to huddle around his screen on the sly

Adge

Or alternatively walk past the Granada Television shop or radio rentals to see in the window at the vidi printer realing off all the other scores.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
I remember year back on a Danny Baker phone-in on 5live, some guy told a story of how he used to record fake results and then play them back whilst walking post-game to his car. eg Everton 3 West Ham 4. He said he had to make them all high-scoring to avoid suspicion :woot: That's some good pre-internet trolling there!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
@tommydazzle : As one old fart to another, I'm sure you must remember the old "alphabet scoreboards" that just about every ground had. (Similar to the one in the background of the picture below). When you bought a programme, teams in your division and maybe others, were given a letter, A, B, C etc and as a score was reported to the ground, usually by phone, the score would be updated by some bloke running back and forth among the letters. E.g. A = 1-0, B = 0-0, C = 0-1..... and so on. These were placed around the ground so that everyone could see them.
Now I'm just showing my age! Lol!
Scoreboard.jpg

oscillatewildly

@tommydazzle : As one old fart to another, I'm sure you must remember the old "alphabet scoreboards" that just about every ground had. (Similar to the one in the background of the picture below). When you bought a programme, teams in your division and maybe others, were given a letter, A, B, C etc and as a score was reported to the ground, usually by phone, the score would be updated by some bloke running back and forth among the letters. E.g. A = 1-0, B = 0-0, C = 0-1..... and so on. These were placed around the ground so that everyone could see them.
Now I'm just showing my age! Lol!
View attachment 14102
Name this former CCFC manager.

Terry Gibson's perm

I can remember when they used to give the half time scores as match a and so on to try to get you to buy a programme, one person by us would scribble the scores on and then tell everybody

tisza

My Mum was Phyl Robbins book keeper (and her dopey son's). She used to get in the director's box and they'd have a chalk board in the Director's room that they put the full times on. She used to nip out with the scores and a load of posh sandwiches and pass them through the fence to me :) First time I'd ever heard (let alone tasted) of smoked salmon :)

Users who are viewing this thread