The 'quality' of Womens Football (1 Viewer)

TomRad85

I got sent off in a charity 6 a side game for slide tackling a girl in her 20s and then 2 mins later taking out a 6ft6 bloke and then standing over and threatening him Roy Keane style - I still feel bad for the girl :D Unfortunately for some of us the instinct never goes away ;)
I hope someone caught this on camera.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

eastwoodsdustman

Just watching the highlights of the womens football on the BBC and I have a question to ask regarding the quality of the players. Do you think there are any female footballers out there who could hold their own at a professional club, say League 2 and up. I'm talking your Lucy Bronze's etc. I remember there was a story going round the internet of FC Dallas u14's beating the USA womens team 14-0 before a World Cup game.
No.

pastythegreat

In the football I’ve seen, the biggest gulf in ability seems to be in goal. I think there are several female players in the WSL that could hold their own in the men’s game - just not the goalkeepers.
Lee Burge picks up a pay check every week

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

pastythegreat

A lot of sports are allowed to be mixed up until the ages of around 10 - including Rugby Union. The gulf between men’s and women’s football is the physical side of things. Bigger humans, bigger lungs, and more muscle mass makes for an uneven playing field.

Ironically, inclusion of women into the men’s game would have the consequence of killing the women’s game in the process - which in itself is a tragedy.

If there was a demand for mixed gender football, I’d support the idea of organising this, it also solves the issue around transgender athletes too.
Allowing women in to the mens game wouldn't just kill the womens game, it would also kill the mens game.

TomRad85

Allowing women in to the mens game wouldn't just kill the womens game, it would also kill the mens game.

It wouldn't because none of them would get even close to the squads. Nothing would change.

pastythegreat

Why in things like snooker or darts is it necessary?
They do mix in Darts and Snooker. I seem to remeber Ronnie O'Sullivan playing snooker last year while some bird (couldn't tell you her name) sat at the side and watched

Also remeber seeing some blonde bird in a pink jacket winning some darts match, was a real big hoo-ha about that one. I thought she'd won the final when I half heard the story on the radio until I looked properly and found out all she had done was won 2 matches in a row

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The bits I have seen there is a massive gulf, it’s the same in cricket Sarah Taylor one of the stars of world cricket played for Walmley who are in the Birmingham league and wasn’t outstanding, I played at the same level and was also not outstanding😉, but I am not being paid to play.

Well, there is a solution for that...

giphy.gif

Evo1883

Just watching the highlights of the womens football on the BBC and I have a question to ask regarding the quality of the players. Do you think there are any female footballers out there who could hold their own at a professional club, say League 2 and up. I'm talking your Lucy Bronze's etc. I remember there was a story going round the internet of FC Dallas u14's beating the USA womens team 14-0 before a World Cup game.
There are no women players that could play and compete in men's proffessional football... I like women's football too as both my girls are playing at Cov United and I have high hopes for their future

Evo1883

Before Federer came along, men's tennis had got really dull - especially on grass. Massive serve volliers, points over in three shots at best. In contrast, the women's game still had grace. The men's game is currently, in my view, better, but Tennis does ebb and flow with the generations.
Didnt like the sampras agassi era?

NorthernWisdom

Didnt like the sampras agassi era?
Samprass, Ivanisevic, Becker, Stich, Krajicek, Rafter, Roddick, Rusedski... all immensely boring. Even the so-called 'artists' like Edberg were batter, batter, batter.

It took Federer to show you could dominate on courts other than clay without it being whack - net - volley. Agassi had the odd brilliant flourish, but he was among a morass of serve-volliers, so the points were still over quickly, brutally, swiftly.

Last edited:

SBT

I remember there was a story going round the internet of FC Dallas u14's beating the USA womens team 14-0 before a World Cup game.

Turned into a bit of an urban myth this one. It wasn't a competitive match so much as a "scrimmage" (basically a practice session), with the women's team letting some of the FC Dallas kids join in. The FC Dallas website ended up writing it up as an actual game, which the kids supposedly 'won' 5-2, and it's been seized on by people trying to insult the women's team ever since.

TomRad85

Turned into a bit of an urban myth this one. It wasn't a competitive match so much as a "scrimmage" (basically a practice session), with the women's team letting some of the FC Dallas kids join in. The FC Dallas website ended up writing it up as an actual game, which the kids supposedly 'won' 5-2, and it's been seized on by people trying to insult the women's team ever since.
The Australia National team was also beaten 7-0 by Newcastle Jets under 15s. There's plenty of examples. Its cruel to compare, that's why its probably preferable to steer clear of it.

superskyblue

The bits I have seen there is a massive gulf, it’s the same in cricket Sarah Taylor one of the stars of world cricket played for Walmley who are in the Birmingham league and wasn’t outstanding, I played at the same level and was also not outstanding😉, but I am not being paid to play.
What level is that? She played Grade cricket in Aus which is the highest club standard. Don't know how she got on but that's above our top level here.

Terry Gibson's perm

What level is that? She played Grade cricket in Aus which is the highest club standard. Don't know how she got on but that's above our top level here.

She played Birmingham league here which would have been against some county players but low standard ones.

Evo1883

Samprass, Ivanisevic, Becker, Stich, Krajicek, Rafter, Roddick, Rusedski... all immensely boring. Even the so-called 'artists' like Edberg were batter, batter, batter.

It took Federer to show you could dominate on courts other than clay without it being whack - net - volley. Agassi had the odd brilliant flourish, but he was among a morass of serve-volliers, so the points were still over quickly, brutally, swiftly.
Federer is my favourite ever tbh, always played the game with elegance and style.

Terry Gibson's perm

For me women’s tennis is better to watch as they can return the serves against most of the players.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Remember in 6th form we wheeled a TV into the common room to watch Hingis v Kournikova.

Grendel

Five live have live commentary on the WSL the hyperbole is pretty cringy

Users who are viewing this thread