The 'quality' of Womens Football (2 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

Perhaps that's the answer if they really want it to be inclusive, the World cups at the same time etc. too. It works with the Paralympics, particularly when here in 2012, incredibly inspiring. That said, I don't mind seeing the household names from that (David Weir, Ellie Simmonds, Jonnie Peacock, Tanni Grey-Thompson etc), but when they ram some unknown on QoS in a typical BBC box-ticking exercise, it cheapens the show. They already messed with a tested format when Tuffers and Dawson started prancing about in the middle and Paddy McGuiness, who I do like, shouldn't be presenting it, but having these on and then asking such niche questions is about as useful as having a footballer from Leamington or Nuneaton on.
It certainly is a potential answer

Skyblueweeman

Perhaps that's the answer if they really want it to be inclusive, the World cups at the same time etc. too. It works with the Paralympics, particularly when here in 2012, incredibly inspiring. That said, I don't mind seeing the household names from that (David Weir, Ellie Simmonds, Jonnie Peacock, Tanni Grey-Thompson etc), but when they ram some unknown on QoS in a typical BBC box-ticking exercise, it cheapens the show. They already messed with a tested format when Tuffers and Dawson started prancing about in the middle and Paddy McGuiness, who I do like, shouldn't be presenting it, but having these on and then asking such niche questions is about as useful as having a footballer from Leamington or Nuneaton on.

How do the household names become household names?

rob9872

How do the household names become household names?
By managing to do so in a crowded field as personalities always have done. The four I mentioned already have done, as many others in able bodied sports have throughout the years. Those four were not pushed by being on QoS but instead used the platform their fame and talent deserved and not by a second rate bbc agenda.

Grendel

If you own a business or a football club Nick, you can put whatever you want into it. There's not a limit of what someone can plough into a club. There's millions of examples of this.

Its really not how it works at all

rob9872

The cheapening of Question of Sport must NOT be allowed to take root. Some things are just too important in this country.
QoS was already cheapened and not by Paralympians as I pointed out, it was merely an example of how the BBC are trying too hard to be inclusive and diminishing the accomplishments of others.

Part of the fun of QoS was testing your own general sporting knowledge, but I rarely watch these days and when I do, I accept there are too many areas they'll try and include that I have no idea or interest in. It was right that it moved on from 6 middle ages white guys laughing at their own jokes in the days of Coleman, Beaumont and Hughes, but has now become a complete parody of it's former self trying to be too much like They Think It's All Over or A League of their own.

Nick

Administrator
If you own a business or a football club Nick, you can put whatever you want into it. There's not a limit of what someone can plough into a club. There's millions of examples of this.

Again, that's not how it works.

If an individual spends money, it isn't the businesses money. Hence you have business bank accounts / accounts and everything separate. It's not a builder dealing in cash.

It's not as simple as "Oh if they have money and spend it then it's taking away from their business".

NorthernWisdom

The thing that irritates me about the women's game too is that instead of coming up with something that might be genuinely competitive, it has just adopted the same competition structure of the contemporary men's game.

Oh look, it's Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal as top 4. How exciting!!
Maybe the indictment of football in general though. Back when there was less than zero cash in the women's game it allowed the likes of Doncaster Belles to be dominant.

There's still an opportunity I guess for the traditional local businessman made good to get a women's team to the top level relatively cheaply. Might lose your fortune, but less quickly than on men's side!

Skyblueweeman

By managing to do so in a crowded field as personalities always have done. The four I mentioned already have done, as many others in able bodied sports have throughout the years. Those four were not pushed by being on QoS but instead used the platform their fame and talent deserved and not by a second rate bbc agenda.

I think it's a mixture of both - in my opinion. I agree with what you're also saying but personally, I see no harm in putting a new face in front of an audience to help grow something.

I think people are emotive and resonate with personalities. I agree that when someone comes through via skill/success, it's more organic. I guess the comparison is music right - you have bands who are successful from playing the smaller clubs - the Oasis's of the world, then you've got the likes of One Direction and Little Mix, formed via competition but are now mainstream/household names.

Grendel

Are you saying if Sheik Mansour wanted to give Man City an extra £50m for the summer transfer window, he couldn't do it?

no I’m saying for the vast majority of clubs owners loan money to the clubs and most clubs are cash strapped

Chelsea if the assets were truly frozen would run out of cash and be bust in 6 weeks

Skyblueweeman

Again, that's not how it works.

If an individual spends money, it isn't the businesses money. Hence you have business bank accounts / accounts and everything separate. It's not a builder dealing in cash.

It's not as simple as "Oh if they have money and spend it then it could have been in their business".

As a business owner, I get it - I have an account for my business and an account for my personal stuff. However, I can inject capital into my business if I so choose to. I don't need to, but I can.

The same way, Dale Vince can inject an extra £10k into his club or he can spend that £10k on environmental protestors.

This link literally tells you how to do it:

Skyblueweeman

no I’m saying for the vast majority of clubs owners loan money to the clubs and most clubs are cash strapped

Chelsea if the assets were truly frozen would run out of cash and be bust in 6 weeks

Now that, I don't disagree with. I know that overall, the money that goes into EPL/EFL clubs is in the forms of loans.

But my point is that owners can inject capital without recall if they so choose - even if that's uncommon.

Nick

Administrator
As a business owner, I get it - I have an account for my business and an account for my personal stuff. However, I can inject capital into my business if I so choose to. I don't need to, but I can.

The same way, Dale Vince can inject an extra £10k into his club or he can spend that £10k on environmental protestors.

This link literally tells you how to do it:

Yes, I know you can put money in.

It's like Mike Ashley buying a pint and people in Sports Direct kicking off the money could have gone to them. It's separate.

Just because Dale Vince does something, doesn't mean it's FGR doing it or it's taking money from FGR.

Nick

Administrator
So you agree that that money could go to FGR as opposed to something else if Vince wanted to do so?

He could remortgage everything and put it in.

It isn't taking anything away from FGR. To do that he would take the money out of FGR and then use it.

Skyblueweeman

He could remortgage everything and put it in.

It isn't taking anything away from FGR. To do that he would take the money out of FGR and then use it.

I didn't say he was taking it away...I said he's not necessarily putting in everything he could do - that's all.

Anyway, this one's like a one armed wheelchair journey - I'm done :)

SBT

QoS was already cheapened and not by Paralympians as I pointed out, it was merely an example of how the BBC are trying too hard to be inclusive and diminishing the accomplishments of others.

Part of the fun of QoS was testing your own general sporting knowledge, but I rarely watch these days and when I do, I accept there are too many areas they'll try and include that I have no idea or interest in. It was right that it moved on from 6 middle ages white guys laughing at their own jokes in the days of Coleman, Beaumont and Hughes, but has now become a complete parody of it's former self trying to be too much like They Think It's All Over or A League of their own.

I’m sorry the TV show you used to like doesn’t entertain you as much anymore. Happened to me with 24.

How have the BBC started ‘diminishing the accomplishments of others’? They’re not pretending men’s sport doesn’t exist, are they?

Peter Billing Eyes

Numerics have a part to play, too. There are less women playing football so it’s statistically easier for them to become successful amongst their peers. I know this as I have been the Mens’ All-England knitting champion for the past two decades. Barely any competition.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Numerics have a part to play, too. There are less women playing football so it’s statistically easier for them to become successful amongst their peers. I know this as I have been the Mens’ All-England knitting champion for the past two decades. Barely any competition.
I think you're pulling the wool over our eyes. If you want more competition cross the Severn Bridge - they have loads of courses in wales.

chiefdave

91553 at el Classico womens game yesterday!!!!
its a great achievement for sure, no doubt about that. but you also need context, according to the radio this morning tickets for a mens game there start from €100 where this was free for members and €9 for everyone else,

the next step is to get these side crowds week in week out rather than a one off, we've seen large attendances at one off womens game here but they aren't sustained, and then to increase the prices so they are generating revenue. then you get yourself to a position where nobody can really question investment in the womens game as its generating its own revenue.

Skyblueweeman

its a great achievement for sure, no doubt about that. but you also need context, according to the radio this morning tickets for a mens game there start from €100 where this was free for members and €9 for everyone else,

the next step is to get these side crowds week in week out rather than a one off, we've seen large attendances at one off womens game here but they aren't sustained, and then to increase the prices so they are generating revenue. then you get yourself to a position where nobody can really question investment in the womens game as its generating its own revenue.

Yep, that's fair. You'd think that as it grows (whatever country), prices will go up and it'll be more sustainable for the clubs.

Grendel

The average gate there is 3,000 this was like a community day event thing

Covkid1968#

You can’t diss old Crazy Horse…one of my childhood heroes 😎

Grendel

Oh here he is, like a shark sniffing blood 8 miles away.

Genuine question G - when was the last time you were positive about something?

How is it negative? It’s a factual statement

this whole discussion was around womens football and why it needs to rely on the mens game.

You quoted look at the mens game 50 years ago. Oddly it then was a self sustaining entity and not subsidised

im not against womens football I just don’t see it as worth watching at a professional level and I don’t want a club say that I support subsidising it as it offers me no value for my purchase into the club

One of the womens pundits said they should be treated equally like men and as a premier league player they should be on equal pay as they are in tennis. Think about that for a second

Covkid1968#

I watched the Barcelona game.. have to say the quality of football was really enjoyable. I’ve just booked tickets for the Euros… they def weren’t £9

Nick

Administrator

this whole discussion was around womens football and why it needs to rely on the mens game.

You quoted look at the mens game 50 years ago. Oddly it then was a self sustaining entity and not subsidised

im not against womens football I just don’t see it as worth watching at a professional level and I don’t want a club say that I support subsidising it as it offers me no value for my purchase into the club

One of the womens pundits said they should be treated equally like men and as a premier league player they should be on equal pay as they are in tennis. Think about that for a second

They are delusional. Same as the Cov Utd Ladies bloke having a twitter rant.

It's up there with Sunday league teams announcing player signings on Twitter.

Grendel

They are delusional. Same as the Cov Utd Ladies bloke having a twitter rant.

It's up there with Sunday league teams announcing player signings on Twitter.

Cov Utd womens team actually featured on 5 live and sky sports news. It attracts 500 people. I don’t think a club in the mens league attracting the same support wiukd even get a mention

Skyblueweeman

Not negative? How about something along the lines of 'wow, great attendance for a big game'. Regardless of costs, club days, free tickets etc. The overwhelming reaction has been positive about this and the fact that it might inspire young Spanish females. Not a bad thing, right?

Mens football 50 years ago was subsidised, granted no where near the levels of today.

You're not against womens football? I can't be arsed to trawl through your posts on this (I don't have a spreadsheet) but I'm pretty certain there's nothing from you that even remotely resembles some form of positive, even neutral, comment on it.

With regards to your last post - I totally agree. I've never said that they should be treated equally financially. The top womens player in the FAWSL earning £400k like Sterling/Kane etc, nope - don't agree. So I've thought about that for a second ;-) What I said is that opportunities and media coverage are increasing and should continue to increase to continue the growth of womens sport. It's growing and gaining in popularity - regardless of what you or others care for I'm afraid.

Nick

Administrator
Cov Utd womens team actually featured on 5 live and sky sports news. It attracts 500 people. I don’t think a club in the mens league attracting the same support wiukd even get a mention

Yeah, that's my point about it being forced.

Frostie

I'm a big advocate of the women's game & have to say some of the criticism of it being forced are a bit OTT however shit like this really isn't helpful...

Users who are viewing this thread