The Positives Of Not Drinking ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Bumped into an old workmate recently and got a shock when he said he hasn't had a drink for seven years,as he was in the pub almost daily when I knew him.Told him I still drink at weekends and the odd night now and then during the week,but he said he didn't miss it at all.He told me to give it a try myself which got me thinking has anyone on here done the same as him and knocked it on the head ?

Grendel

Yep it's a lot better. You feel much healthier. After averaging 150 units a week as a student I pretty much - other than the odd night - gave it up for 20 years.

Now I'm drinking again and guess what - I put weight on, can't sleep, feel lethargic.

Otis

I haven't had a drink for 20 years. Don't miss it one little bit.

Sent from my LG-D405 using Tapatalk

Covrock

Not had a drop for 4years 8 months. If I'd carried On the way I used to drink I would be dead. I can't do moderation so I gave up.

stupot07

I tend to only drink at the weekends, other than my student days I've never been a big drinker but I don't think I'd like to give up altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Sad basket case aren't I. Don't drink, don't do drugs, don't go out, don't do holidays, follow the City and am a vegetarian.

Sent from my LG-D405 using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

I reckon something spooky is going on as just a couple of days ago got talking to a bloke who has also stopped drinking,he's gone ten years without even a shandy.If I meet one more teetotaller in the next week or so it must be a sign for me also to call last orders !

johnwillomagic

oh dear don't give it up mate......just as long as you do not constantly abuse it I think it's fine!!

I need a few pints during week and at weekend to get through/over my working week!
Mind you as docs regard three pints I think as a binge in one day I still maybe overdo it!!

Watching Cov normally drive me to drink both pre and post match and unfortunately post match
not many times for the right reasons!!

bringbackrattles

oh dear don't give it up mate......just as long as you do not constantly abuse it I think it's fine!!

I need a few pints during week and at weekend to get through/over my working week!
Mind you as docs regard three pints I think as a binge in one day I still maybe overdo it!!

Watching Cov normally drive me to drink both pre and post match and unfortunately post match
not many times for the right reasons!!
I did stop for a few months years ago when I was with the ex missus,but she told me to get down the pub again as I was a miserable sod as I kept away from the local to stop being tempted.But drinking and football seems to go together,and that's what I reckon anyway !

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I gave up drinking once. But later that afternoon, I started again! :whistle:

Otis

You don't do holidays?

Well 'do' is probably not the right word. My wife is Russian and she only wants to go to Russia. I could go to Russia, but I really don't like the place at all (where my wife's family come from). She also takes money over to give to her family and then that means I don't have the money to go on holiday myself.

Last one was 6 years ago I think. Managed to grab 2 or 3 days here and then down Bournemouth sometimes, but that's it. If I could get the wife to go elsewhere then I could of course 'do' holidays.

It's not a life choice like drinking or vegetarianism.

No break this year, but did go to Bournemouth for 3 days last year.

olderskyblue

I don't drink any more.....

I don't drink any less either....

Ashdown

I give up every week but usually for only 3 days, by Wednesday I'm gagging for a pint again ! I'm here for a good time not a long time ! Besides almost everything social that I do seems to involve a couple of pints or a bottle of wine. Trouble is I really enjoy a decent ale or a nice wine, it's not just for the alcohol !
Doctors will tell you that non drinkers on average live a year less than moderate drinkers !

Houchens Head

I went to my doctors because my hands shook so much.
He asked "Do you drink much?"
"Nah." I replied, "I spill most of it!"

Terry Gibson's perm

I am a non drinker also not had any booze for about 3 years 7 months, last one I had was in Scotland and then just stopped, mine was mainly as I decided to get fitter and got a personal trainer and not a lot happened until I stopped drinking and then the weight fell off, missed it for a bit and sometimes think I could just have a drink but have no ability to stop so would start drinking again.

bringbackrattles

I am a non drinker also not had any booze for about 3 years 7 months, last one I had was in Scotland and then just stopped, mine was mainly as I decided to get fitter and got a personal trainer and not a lot happened until I stopped drinking and then the weight fell off, missed it for a bit and sometimes think I could just have a drink but have no ability to stop so would start drinking again.
A good pal of mine who was diabetic wouldn't stop drinking even though he had to inject himself daily.He was found dead two months ago in his home and I went to his funeral,and he was only 54.So drinking can be serious as my mate found out the wrong way.

skybluedan

Yeah I don't drink , was never a big drinker, once in a blue moon kind of Friday afternoon till Sunday night no sleep at all messy messy messy But ain't even had a sip now over 7 years I think

Houchens Head

I've had three heart attacks, a double bypass, I'm also diabetic, but I smoke and drink (though neither heavy). My philosophy is, you've got one life, live it. My old man died at 54, my older brother died at 50 and my other older brother is wheelchair-bound because of a stroke. I'm now in my 63rd year. If I popped my clogs tomorrow, my only regret would be that I didn't get to see City back in the Premiership!

wingy

Positives of not drinking?
You won't need to get up for a pee In the night.
More Importantly you won't wake up next to a minger In the morning.:)

skybluetony176

I gave up for six months once in my early twenties and it was a moment of clarity. It was only then I could see the way I was going by looking at some of my mates who continued drinking. When I started again it was like I gained control again and as I've got older I barely drink at all anymore and when I do I rarely get drunk. I'll take a couple of pints and leave it there. You can't beat a pint of good Guinness once in a while.

lifeskyblue

Thanks to those who have contributed to this: very interesting read. I am surprised by the number of non drinkers as I always felt the majority of football fans drank and drank heavily. I wonder if this is because the majority of contributors here are a little older? I do drink but have noticed that I drink a lot less now (in my 50s) than I did a decade or two ago. Now it may be a glass or two of beer, wine or whisky at the weekend and I can't remember the last time I got drunk. I am worried that I might become a type 2 diabetic as my mother was diagnosed a while ago and I am a stone (well perhaps a little more) overweight. I have never seriously considered giving up booze completely but Might well be inspired by some of the postings here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyhillsfanclub

I used to drink way too much from 16 - 30 years......took way too many drugs of all varieties too. Lost many friends including 2 of my best mates during my 20's.

I'm 44 now.....still drink too much according to the BMA.....if I'm honest I probably still have 50+ units per week.

Stopped taking class A drugs when I turned 30. Stopped smoking nicotine when I turned 40. Think I will probably bin the drink at 50. Gambling at 60. weed at 70.

If I manage to reach 80 (unlikely) I'll go on a massive Hedonistic weekender & take every substance known to man....back to the Dam just like the old days.:pimp:

Ashdown

I used to drink way too much from 16 - 30 years......took way too many drugs of all varieties too. Lost many friends including 2 of my best mates during my 20's.

I'm 44 now.....still drink too much according to the BMA.....if I'm honest I probably still have 50+ units per week.

Stopped taking class A drugs when I turned 30. Stopped smoking nicotine when I turned 40. Think I will probably bin the drink at 50. Gambling at 60. weed at 70.

If I manage to reach 80 (unlikely) I'll go on a massive Hedonistic weekender & take every substance known to man....back to the Dam just like the old days.:pimp:

I grew up with a crowd of boozy mates, it was pretty much all beer though rather than all the shit the kids drink today and I've never bothered with drugs apart from the odd spliff back in the day. As others say I don't get hammered very often now at all, it's all more civilised and usually centred round good food or sport. I still drink too much per week though according to the BMA which is not hard to do. I always have at least two consecutive dry days off per week to help the liver recover.
I don't know if I'm pushing my luck or not but life is for living !

bringbackrattles

I'm glad I started this thread as it has been interesting reading the stories and comments.I started drinking far too young at fifteen and by the time I'd reached twenty I was a hardened drinker along with all my then mates too.It has got me in no end of trouble and I could write a book on my experiences about it all. But as I got older it hasn't had a grip on me as it did years ago,and have it under control now thankfully.I've lost friends who couldn't or wouldn't get it controlled,but we all have choices to make haven't we ? My best pal doesn't drink,smoke,and is a Christian,but another mate is a dope smoker,drinker,and a womanizer,and they're both great blokes. It takes all sorts !

Ashdown

The biggest positive of not drinking would be the sheer cost of it I imagine. Over the years I imagine it has cost the same as a 3 bedroomed detached house !

Bumped into an old workmate recently and got a shock when he said he hasn't had a drink for seven years,as he was in the pub almost daily when I knew him.Told him I still drink at weekends and the odd night now and then during the week,but he said he didn't miss it at all.He told me to give it a try myself which got me thinking has anyone on here done the same as him and knocked it on the head ?

Gone from 50/60 units per week to zero in last 12 months due to medical condition - still drink pints though (Britvic Orange + Soda Water + lashings of ice) - deeeeliscious

Feel tons better plus savings of 30 pints per week x £3.00 x 52 weeks = £4.5k per annum

Still early days though

Users who are viewing this thread