The Pink (1 Viewer)

CovFan

Anybody remember it? Newspaper released on a Saturday night with the Coventry city match reports from earlier in the day. Well the editor of the Coventry telegraph is evaluating on twitter if it would be worthwhile bringing back. He is asking for ideas so if you are on twitter, tweet some with the hashtag #thepink. If you don't have twitter, post your ideas here and I will relay them on.

LastGarrison

The Pink was quality and a must buy on a Saturday evening.

However, with the internet offering instant match reports I would fear that there wouldn't be the take up needed to make it a profitable venture.

ccfctommy

I have Coventry City: An Illustrated History at home where I first heard of Nemo.

Why was he called Nemo?

Ernie Machin

It's because of the Internet and the like that the Pink was dropped in the first place. Would love to see it back for nostalgia reasons, but it probably wouldn't make money after the novelty had worn off. Was a great paper though.

Marty

I remember coming home from games, going up the chippy and getting a pink and a bag of chips. the good old days. Always exciting to get a copy on wednesday i think it use to be where they use to show the sunday league games, been in there a few times :wave: :)

TheSnoz

Ernie Machin is right. It died because of internet - and anyway it had been failing for years - wonderful in its day - but if you can pick up all the football news on your computer are you going out in the rain to buy a copy? Used to love it but times move on.

covladzak

I remember coming home from games, going up the chippy and getting a pink and a bag of chips. the good old days. Always exciting to get a copy on wednesday i think it use to be where they use to show the sunday league games, been in there a few times :wave: :)

Happy Days!:p

6 Generations

After home matches, used to get off the 22 bus at Toll Bar End, grab savaloy and chips, or scallop and chips when not so flush and then wait until The Pink arrived. I loved it, especially if we had won. What was remarkable was the fact that although the match did not finish until about 10 minutes to five, The Pink was generally delivered to most Coventry newsagentsby around 6pm. Now you have to remember that none of this production relied on modern computer technology. The match report was exciting, goals highlighted in bold print. And the latest section at the back informed of late scores. Inside was treat, with generally a centre feature relating to the players and team. And a joy to behold was the local sports results, especially the football with local league tables and match reports. Brilliant, i was extremely sad to see the demise of a fantastic truly local sports paper. It was a part of my youth, my growing up. I miss it like the most reliable and informative of old friends. Please bring it back and just leave the format as it was, i will buy it!!!

PUSB

PhilWasn'tBabb

I was away at board school as a kid and my mum used to post me a copy of the pink every week. I used to love getting it every week, brilliant :) great memories

pusbccfc

it would be great to see it back, cause i usually arrive home in eastern green(due to having to catch 2 buses) at around 6 when they were starting to be available in the shops and would be able to get of the bus and go grab a copy again :)

TheRoyalScam

The Pink used to be a ritual when I was a lad - there'd be about 30 of us all waiting at our local newsagents, and we all used to pay for it in advance. Then when the delivery driver screeched to a halt and offloaded the bundle, we'd carry it into the shop - the newsagent would cut the string and hand them out. Sometimes it was even delivered before 6.00. The first half report was usually longer than the second half, because it was 'phoned through from the ground at half-time. The second half had to be 'phoned through and typeset before printing - a headline also had to be composed. Happy memories of better times for CCFC!

I used to get it after every game on sat. There was something about relishing a victory that much in those days I had to read it and watch it that evening.

That's what it was like fighting for you lives in the prem.

blueflint

always enjoyed the pink an old mate of mine he may remember me phil horesfall used to write for them

huckerby87

I used to love The Pink as a kid.
After a trip to Highfield Rd I would spend ages on a Saturday evening looking at the all the other results

Paxman II

I think it could come back. There's a market for the 'hot' press. Even though you may have the internet and you have just come back from the game we all want to read and see what is said and if we agree then criticise or praise. the inside stuff with features on teams and articles about the club were all good stuff. league tables and reports from around everywhere including the parks pitches. Yes with to days technology it could be in the newsagent/Tesco or wherever by 5:20pm. Worth a shot. Quite novel for today I would think...

TheSnoz

Think for it to work it would need to be subscription, to make it viable. There are a few thousand who want to read about the City and the local league teams, Leamington etc. Internet is ok, but try reading that in a pub with a pint. And there must be thousands abroad, around UK who are City fans who want to read interviews with the manager, players. But please not pages of darts and billiard results.

TheRoyalScam

Good point, TheSnoz. With the CT, and local rags in general, in decline, I don't really think the Pink could work as it used to. But with national and indeed worldwide subscription it might just find a niche market for Coventry's ex-pats. I know what you mean with the darts and billiards, but what about 'angling' and 'crown green bowls'?:)

ajsccfc

I'd pick it up if available just for the sheer nostalgia (literally rose-tinted in this case) but I can't see it being a success.

Regis87

I only bought it when they won , you never knew what time it would arrive so about a dozen blokes would stand around waiting for the van to arrive and then they only brought a few dozen copies so if you came later on you weren't guaranteed a copy .
I don't think it would work nowadays

cloughie

especially after away games that we didn't go to, I remember queuing outside the paper shop(the shop was full) waiting for the pink to turn up, yes nostalgia but a great memory

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember the Telegraph sellers in town shouting "Telly...graaaappphh!" and when the pink was dropped off to them the shout became "Pink or a White!!" Sadly, I can't see it making a comeback, but it must have been the most successful sports paper in the Midlands at the time! A superb read!

derbyskyblue

I always brought it win or lose. The results, the attendances, all the other sports from around coventry and warwickshire, be it darts, crown green bowling etc. And waiting outside the newsagents for the van to arrive. If we had won.....well i was more excited than mr excitable living in excitable avenue. Bring it back!

The CET disbanded a number of CCFC stats/data/info over the years rather stealthily!!

First to go was the Saturday "Pink" as mentioned a truly hive of info.
Then the ongoing weekly fixtures /results/goalscorers from the CET
Followed by the midweek "Pink"

All in all the current service provided in the CET prior to matchdays is not bad

BUT I am sure I speak for the majority of fans the Saturday Pink MUST be re-instated ASAP

PUSB

Qwerty70

Anybody remember it? Newspaper released on a Saturday night with the Coventry city match reports from earlier in the day. Well the editor of the Coventry telegraph is evaluating on twitter if it would be worthwhile bringing back. He is asking for ideas so if you are on twitter, tweet some with the hashtag #thepink. If you don't have twitter, post your ideas here and I will relay them on.
8 years is a decent bump of a thread!

It’s an appeal for any old copies of The Pink that people may have tucked away, probably because they were in it!

Next Thursday (Nov 28) from Midday - 2pm there is a Sporting Memories event at The Transport Museum. Its to look back on the factory era of amateur sport in Coventry. Those of you old enough will remember when the factories all had sports grounds and sport teams.

The organiser Vanessa Pearson is looking for copies of the Pink. The focus is more on the inside pages where the reports and scores of factory sport leagues were featured.

If anyone has any copies of The Pink or any photos of teams, grounds etc from those days please contact Vanessa - [email protected].
Any other memorabilia would be welcomed for display.

It’s a free event and it would be great to get people from that era together again.

Briles

Haha same! Unfortunately I played for a terrible team so my name would be the only one of our team with a goal 18 against

W

westcountry_skyblue

8 years is a decent bump of a thread!

It’s an appeal for any old copies of The Pink that people may have tucked away, probably because they were in it!

Next Thursday (Nov 28) from Midday - 2pm there is a Sporting Memories event at The Transport Museum. Its to look back on the factory era of amateur sport in Coventry. Those of you old enough will remember when the factories all had sports grounds and sport teams.

The organiser Vanessa Pearson is looking for copies of the Pink. The focus is more on the inside pages where the reports and scores of factory sport leagues were featured.

If anyone has any copies of The Pink or any photos of teams, grounds etc from those days please contact Vanessa - [email protected].
Any other memorabilia would be welcomed for display.

It’s a free event and it would be great to get people from that era together again.
Anyone remember the guy at Cov train station selling it when we got back after an away game,Black/Half cast guy?
Also in Cov city centre with the telegraph shouting “City Final” always made me laugh and smile!!!

Users who are viewing this thread