The Penalty (1 Viewer)

slowpoke

This is Bloody rubbish “foul or attempt to foul” the FA, who’s mind is probably made up & Matty Godden will have to prove his innocence, should define what attempt is and from now on implement their thoughts consistently perhaps even re-word the rule which has stood for decades.
They will be fuckin’ busy I’ll tell you.

CDK

Fulham think they are in a division below them spit there dummy's out and deserve justice and enough of there tossers make out they were robbed they get this decision made wankers the lot of em.as for us 5th dirtiest side ,I'm glad as every team needs a competitive edge which has been added to in signing of Kane .As for Fulham think they won't go up as soft fucking southerners.

slowpoke

Because that’s not the rule. Had the ref booked him in the game, we wouldn’t have got a pen.

The retrospective booking is hardly a deterrent to diving either.
I’ll ask you or any referee at any level on here then, does their have to be physical contact for direct free-kicks to be given ?

Yorkshire SB

I’ll ask you or any referee at any level on here then, does their have to be physical contact for direct free-kicks to be given ?

Haha what you on about, direct free kicks? Every incident is different, and Godden’s was clear as day a dive. Legend for doing it, winning the pen and scoring, but doesn’t change that he’s conned the ref.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's about deterence and also if he had received a booking at the time we would not have got the penalty and gone 2-1 up. Don't see how we can complain about this.

So it’s an extra punishment for the player because none of the officials noticed at the time despite the linesman being yards away?

chiefdave

Maybe they should look at the officials more. The only people who don't get banned.
Week in week out we see a pretty poor standard of officiating and absolutely nothing seems to be done about it. Of course people make mistakes but with the amount of money in the game officiating really should be a higher standard than it is currently.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is the rule BTW

I assume they are charging him for E3.1 so the award of the penalty has nothing to do with it. We should have a case about a dozen incidents this season then.

Mitrovic should be banned as well then

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think considering if spotted during the game it's only a booking a two-game ban is over the top.

I also think the way they apply the rule is far too haphazard. There have been more blatant dives that have won penalties that have not had retrospective action taken. I would welcome if they applied it consistently because it would help get rid of diving, but they don't.

Personally, I think Godden was more trying to avoid contact than win a pen. He's been out for ages with a foot problem so having someone potentially about to land on it you're going to take evasive action.

As has been said, he didn't appeal for the pen but I don't think you can use that as a defence otherwise all players will throw themselves to the floor but not appeal so they can't be charged. Even if you only get a pen every so often it'd still be worth it.

However, it is what it is and thankfully we have other players who can replace him.

Frostie

Week in week out we see a pretty poor standard of officiating and absolutely nothing seems to be done about it. Of course people make mistakes but with the amount of money in the game officiating really should be a higher standard than it is currently.

Spot on but also the blame culture & referee abuse needs to stop too. I'm as guilty as anyone for criticising them on here but when you see actual club accounts publicly lambasting & abusing them on social media for the world to see it's outrageous.

Having refereed a fair bit myself it's far from easy & mistakes are genuine.
I have only done it casually & with only the very basic training but for those that take it on the process is incredibly arduous.

Now, how do we improve that? This is where I think the FA etc. have gone about things completely the wrong way.

Referees are self employed &, in my experience, get very little backing & support from their FA for the decisions they make or defending them against the abuse they receive.
We still only have quite a select group who are Professional (and that only happened in 2001) & the pay & support they get, whilst not insignificant, is a fraction of what's sloshing around in the rest of the game.

I think by now most know my loathing of VAR & I think whilst claiming to be to help referees the way it is implemented actually massively undermines them. Imagine having your decision publicly questioned live on TV in front of an audience of millions. Even when instructed to view the pitch side monitor themselves they're still unable to then make a genuine decision as it's only human nature to have that voice in the back of your head saying "VAR have told me to look, they think I've fucked up"

In my opinion & I think in most people's, VAR has not significantly improved the game.
They would have been much better investing that money in improving training, conditions & support for referees as well as trying to attract new, young referees to the sport.
Retrospective punishments for instances like Godden's are far more palatable to me & imo likely to lead to improved player behaviour than the current VAR stuff but maybe that's just me.

Liquid Gold

Spot on but also the blame culture & referee abuse needs to stop too. I'm as guilty as anyone for criticising them on here but when you see actual club accounts publicly lambasting & abusing them on social media for the world to see it's outrageous.

Having refereed a fair bit myself it's far from easy & mistakes are genuine.
I have only done it casually & with only the very basic training but for those that take it on the process is incredibly arduous.

Now, how do we improve that? This is where I think the FA etc. have gone about things completely the wrong way.

Referees are self employed &, in my experience, get very little backing & support from their FA for the decisions they make or defending them against the abuse they receive.
We still only have quite a select group who are Professional (and that only happened in 2001) & the pay & support they get, whilst not insignificant, is a fraction of what's sloshing around in the rest of the game.

I think by now most know my loathing of VAR & I think whilst claiming to be to help referees the way it is implemented actually massively undermines them. Imagine having your decision publicly questioned live on TV in front of an audience of millions. Even when instructed to view the pitch side monitor themselves they're still unable to then make a genuine decision as it's only human nature to have that voice in the back of your head saying "VAR have told me to look, they think I've fucked up"

In my opinion & I think in most people's, VAR has not significantly improved the game.
They would have been much better investing that money in improving training, conditions & support for referees as well as trying to attract new, young referees to the sport.
Retrospective punishments for instances like Godden's are far more palatable to me & imo likely to lead to improved player behaviour than the current VAR stuff but maybe that's just me.
Refs definitely do need protection but I just don't see how you get players and fans to treat them better by banning Godden for anticipating contact, falling over and not claiming a foul than you do for allowing Mitrovic to chase after him, shout in his face then continue complaining after being booked.

I would be harsher if I was the FA though, any no contact fall and a 3 game ban, anywhere on the pitch (it's a contact sport after all). Only the captain or the player involved in the incident to speak to the ref, any other player joining when a teammate is already speaking should be sent off.

But then you're trusting refs to implement it properly when they can't spot that about 50% of throw ins are foul throws.

Frostie

Refs definitely do need protection but I just don't see how you get players and fans to treat them better by banning Godden for anticipating contact, falling over and not claiming a foul than you do for allowing Mitrovic to chase after him, shout in his face then continue complaining after being booked.

I would be harsher if I was the FA though, any no contact fall and a 3 game ban, anywhere on the pitch (it's a contact sport after all). Only the captain or the player involved in the incident to speak to the ref, any other player joining when a teammate is already speaking should be sent off.

But then you're trusting refs to implement it properly when they can't spot that about 50% of throw ins are foul throws.

Yep, agree with all that too.

Once again it comes down to giving them the necessary support. Refs don't like to send players off for creating a scene like Mitrovic did as, for some reason, they're expected to accept abuse. Remember the Darren Drysdale incident last season when he stood up to Alan Judge? Referee banned, no punishment for the player.

You very rarely see Assistants/Linos give any decisions now outside of the bog standard throw ins & offsides. Give them more power & responsibility. Why can they not alert the ref to a foul throw or off the ball foul etc?

Also, there's just too much for a ref to do with so much going on. I'm not a fan of only counting time that the ball is in play but why have the referee responsible for timekeeping along with everything else? Get the 4th official to do it.

Liquid Gold

Yep, agree with all that too.

Once again it comes down to giving them the necessary support. Refs don't like to send players off for creating a scene like Mitrovic did as, for some reason, they're expected to accept abuse. Remember the Darren Drysdale incident last season when he stood up to Alan Judge? Referee banned, no punishment for the player.

You very rarely see Assistants/Linos give any decisions now outside of the bog standard throw ins & offsides. Give them more power & responsibility. Why can they not alert the ref to a foul throw or off the ball foul etc?

Also, there's just too much for a ref to do with so much going on. I'm not a fan of only counting time that the ball is in play but why have the referee responsible for timekeeping along with everything else? Get the 4th official to do it.
It's a massive bugbear of mine when you see an assistant look at the ref for instruction of which way to flag when the ball has gone out right next to him. You have a better view, get your flag up and do your job.

jordan210

Did the FA ban Raheem Sterling from England matches after the Dive vs Denmark ?

For years Mane and other in the prem constantly dived and got nothing. Yet God does it once and is reprimanded

Nick

Administrator
It's like in the Playoffs, because they were on Sky and Kevin Nolan kicked off Davies got banned.

Jamesimus

Did the FA ban Raheem Sterling from England matches after the Dive vs Denmark ?

For years Mane and other in the prem constantly dived and got nothing. Yet God does it once and is reprimanded

No because there was clear contact made in the "dive" vs Denmark.

SlowerThanPlatt

Frostie

Yes

Dwight Gayle & Patrick Bamford are the only other 2 I can recall.
Not very many given this power has been in place for 4 years.

chiefdave

Its pretty clear this isn't consistently applied as despite it apparently being introduced years ago nobody on here, or on the Fulham board for that matter, knew it existing before we heard about Godden. If you're going to have a rule like this then apply it to everyone, you can't have rules where its reliant on the opposition requesting a punishment.

You also shouldn't apply different rules for an offence in the penalty area so if this is the way forward apply it to every instance of a player trying to deceive the officials. Think of how many times in a match players appeal for a throw in, corner, goal kick, free kick or offside. Now think about what percentage of those appeals are made knowing they're trying to con the ref. Teams would be running out of players!

Also not sure how you can have the same offence be worth of only a yellow card during a game but a two game ban if the officials aren't good enough at their jobs to spot it.

Evo1883

I'd also argue for the Fulham fans saying it changed the game ..

The game actually swung the minute the defenders lost the plot and gave the equaliser away , coventry were from that point bursting with confidence and Fulham were essentially all over the place .

We also scored a further 2 goals

They are acting on this as it was on TV basically and want to be seen to be doing something

robbiethemole

Trial by SKY!! if that wasn't a live game nothing would have come from it, so I would hope CCFC go through every decision from now on and complain if any go against us. The ref was looking straight at it from behind on the replay, and didn't think it was a dive so what action will be taken against him and the lino for getting it "wrong"

Users who are viewing this thread