The Penalty (2 Viewers)

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
If you actually play the clip instead of show a screenshot you can see the player knocks the ball to the side and runs in between the ball and Wilson, then the acting from him after was pathetic, that number 8 was a good player but it was comedic how he was constantly diving, stay on your feet, I get frustrated when O’hare does the same thing at least he got up rather than role around to get a penalty
O'Hare has played much better since he stopped falling over so easily.

The Philosopher

Always baffles me why, when we have the most fouled player planet (and therefore win more free kicks in the final 3rd), we play Gyok and a midget up front.

Dion Dublin would have been getting 30 a season.

Grendel

Always baffles me why, when we have the most fouled player planet (and therefore win more free kicks in the final 3rd), we play Gyok and a midget up front.

Dion Dublin would have been getting 30 a season.

Dion Dublin was an England premier league player

lordy_87

Thought he was probably best ref of the season tbh, but tarnished slightly by stopping play when we were on the attack on that occasion.

Nick

Administrator
Also didn't even speak to their manager about running on the pitch when the game is in play

SBT

Thought he was probably best ref of the season tbh, but tarnished slightly by stopping play when we were on the attack on that occasion.

Agreed he was the best ref, and he handled the head injury stoppage brilliantly.

stupot07

If you actually play the clip instead of show a screenshot you can see the player knocks the ball to the side and runs in between the ball and Wilson, then the acting from him after was pathetic, that number 8 was a good player but it was comedic how he was constantly diving, stay on your feet, I get frustrated when O’hare does the same thing at least he got up rather than role around to get a penalty

He really doesn't. This is as close as I can get to the point he makes contact with the ball. He in no way knocks the ball to the side then runs in between Wilson and the ball. He made sure he got contact, yes, but there is like 100th of a second between him touching the ball and Wilson taking him out.. 100% penalty all day long. Screenshot_20220501-115818_YouTube.jpg

pusbccfc

Don’t understand this one - everyone around me was losing their shit over it, but we got the ball back in the same position uncontested, so did it even impact us?

Stopped the flow of the game. It clearly wasn't a head injury.

SBT

Stopped the flow of the game. It clearly wasn't a head injury.

Really? He let the game continue for longer than most refs would have, then after the player had been dealt with we got the ball back uncontested in the same position and continued to attack them. It didn’t change the flow of the game at all.

Nick

Administrator
Really? He let the game continue for longer than most refs would have, then after the player had been dealt with we got the ball back uncontested in the same position and continued to attack them. It didn’t change the flow of the game at all.
You realise the difference between a counter attack and uncontested drop ball?

It's like saying a free kick with a wall is the same as a player being through on goal in the same position.

SBT

You realise the difference between a counter attack and uncontested drop ball?

It's like saying a free kick with a wall is the same as a player being through on goal in the same position.

Both teams were in the same/similar positions - they had plenty of people defending in each situation. When the referee blew the whistle it wasn’t like we were through on goal, or even in the middle of some kind of quick break counter-attack.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Don’t understand this one - everyone around me was losing their shit over it, but we got the ball back in the same position uncontested, so did it even impact us?
Ruins momentum, allows opposition to get their shape etc., plus you're hoping the ref will add on sufficient time for the stoppage. Definitely more likely to work in favour of the team defending a lead. If it didn't, they wouldn't do it would they?

Definitely needs some sort of rule that denies the injured player re-entering play for a set period after play restarts, say at least a minute or until the other team have lost possession.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Unfortunately the referee there had no choice and thought it was a head injury-so a mandatory stoppage of the game is the right call. Of course we all have our own opinions…..
Fully support the ref's decision, and I think it's frustration at the way the rules work that it encourages gamesmanship and something needs to be done to disincetivise teams from faking it, like not having that player able to return for a set amount of time as stated above.

SBT

Ruins momentum, allows opposition to get their shape etc., plus you're hoping the ref will add on sufficient time for the stoppage. Definitely more likely to work in favour of the team defending a lead. If it didn't, they wouldn't do it would they?

Definitely needs some sort of rule that denies the injured player re-entering play for a set period after play restarts, say at least a minute or until the other team have lost possession.

Did the stoppage ruin our momentum? I don’t remember us struggling to create chances, or them getting back into the game afterwards.

It was almost certainly a bit of gamesmanship from them but the way the referee handled it meant it didn’t impact us all. Good for him!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Did the stoppage ruin our momentum? I don’t remember us struggling to create chances, or them getting back into the game afterwards.

It was almost certainly a bit of gamesmanship from them but the way the referee handled it meant it didn’t impact us all. Good for him!
But how do we know if play had continued that we might have scored. As it was it slowed the game down, which is affecting our momentum in a small way, even if we do still manage to keep on attacking after.

If you press the brakes on a car it will reduce its forward momentum, even if the car continues moving forward.

Frostie

Thought the referee was excellent yesterday, only criticism was he could have done a bit more about Nicholls' timewasting but they weren't the worst for it at all.

Definitely helped that you had 2 teams who wanted to play the game & to a good standard.
I can't recall the ball going out of play at all for the opening 6 or 7 minutes. Huddersfield often play for set pieces with Sorba Thomas or Sinani being exceptional at them but without them 2 they were content to keep the ball in play which really helped the game flow.

AJB1983

Thing that frustrates me about those type of penalties, is that the player has hit the ball out of play and is never going to get to it, yet because the keeper hits him, which he’s played for, it’s a foul.
It’s not like he’s stopped a goal scoring opportunity.

but, I guess foul is a foul no matter where you’ve kicked the ball. When you make a decision to go for the ball as Wilson did yesterday, you’ve got to make sure you get there first. He did with one first half, not that one…

pusbccfc

I agree with others though that he was the better of many referees this season.

However, I'd have loved him to book the keeper early doors.

The issue we have is that many referees enjoy the keepers time wasting as it gives them an opportunity to have a breather.

Legia Sky Blue

I don't blame the ref for the head injury thing. He had no choice as even if he thought they were trying it on, the downside of being wrong is too serious. I do however think it was gamesmanship from them, and that it did slow our momentum and quiten the crowd and it was done for that exact purpose. It is naive to think otherwise. If his head injury had been as serious as their coaching staff were making out they wouldn't have sent him back on so quickly, and it was particularly galling to see him go straight into a defensive sprint when he re-entered the field, having apparently been out of it on the ground seconds earlier. They really must have used a 'magic' sponge.

On the penalty it was a farly clear one to me. Wilson knew it and didn't make much of a fuss about it either Not particularly blaming Wilson for it as his actions were instinctive, but he really would have been better looking to block rather than win the ball in that situation, as I think their player would have found it difficult to score from that position. That's exactly what the Huddersfield keeper did with the O'Hare situation, when O'Hare kicked it out of play waiting for the keepers challenge, which didn't come.

Irish Sky Blue

Thought the referee was excellent yesterday, only criticism was he could have done a bit more about Nicholls' timewasting but they weren't the worst for it at all.

Definitely helped that you had 2 teams who wanted to play the game & to a good standard.
I can't recall the ball going out of play at all for the opening 6 or 7 minutes. Huddersfield often play for set pieces with Sorba Thomas or Sinani being exceptional at them but without them 2 they were content to keep the ball in play which really helped the game flow.
I thought the fact that he only allowed 3 minutes of added time was poor. There were six subs which should have been 3 minutes for that alone. ( I know two of ours came on together). We had the palava with the penalty plus the usual time wasting goal celebration. And then we had their goalkeeper prancing around every time there was a goal kick. The fact that no time was added on for any of this I thought was poor and a reward for time wasting.

Frostie

I thought the fact that he only allowed 3 minutes of added time was poor. There were six subs which should have been 3 minutes for that alone. ( I know two of ours came on together). We had the palava with the penalty plus the usual time wasting goal celebration. And then we had their goalkeeper prancing around every time there was a goal kick. The fact that no time was added on for any of this I thought was poor and a reward for time wasting.

I was in agreement at the time & said as much to my mate at the game but have since seen he played 95mins which sounds about right.

Terry Gibson's perm

Was it really a head injury though, I thought it was just a drop to the floor to kill time and then the manager made it into a head injury knowing the ref would stop it, I haven’t seen the challenge back since.

The time wasting is just getting more advanced, the goalkeeper holding the ball too long needs to be an indirect free kick just like it used to be if you took too many steps.

The game needs more brave refs

Terry Gibson's perm

Sums things up just switched on the end of the Arsenal game with Saka sitting on the floor and Alan Smith saying how Arsenal have improved their game management so praying blatant time wasting

shmmeee

He was the most successful at time wasting as he managed to look busy doing it. Those little throws to the CB who would catch the ball, put it down, then take the goal kick but giving it back to the keeper. Huddersfield were had loads of little bits of gamesmanship going on. All the about killing momentum and creating confusion. Maybe we need to be a bit more like that.

No thanks.

Irish Sky Blue

I was in agreement at the time & said as much to my mate at the game but have since seen he played 95mins which sounds about right.
Didn’t their guy’s injury occur in added time? If so then the extra two minutes would have come from that. Overall he probably still played only 3 minutes.

Terry_dactyl

Thing that frustrates me about those type of penalties, is that the player has hit the ball out of play and is never going to get to it, yet because the keeper hits him, which he’s played for, it’s a foul.
It’s not like he’s stopped a goal scoring opportunity.

but, I guess foul is a foul no matter where you’ve kicked the ball. When you make a decision to go for the ball as Wilson did yesterday, you’ve got to make sure you get there first. He did with one first half, not that one…
I think Wilson had to go for it. If he stayed on his line the Huddersfield lad would’ve had a free, relatively easy, chance on goal.

I was impressed how quick a couple of their players were.

Hutch11

Player goes down with a perceived head injury should have an automatic 5 minute assessment by the medical staff , no blood sub allowed , same as when they squeal and roll around as if been shot
Managers would soon encourage them to only stay down if they're really hurt , it's the worse thing in football at the moment imo

Terry Gibson's perm

Player goes down with a perceived head injury should have an automatic 5 minute assessment by the medical staff , no blood sub allowed , same as when they squeal and roll around as if been shot
Managers would soon encourage them to only stay down if they're really hurt , it's the worse thing in football at the moment imo

Surely a head injury would require a concussion test.

The just sitting down on the pitch gets me as well all so they can get the sub ready who is usually has hardly any kit on

Brighton Sky Blue

Richarlison is the king of that. A bigger cheat there is not

Users who are viewing this thread