The Parenting Thread... (1 Viewer)

richnrg

Our boy was after 40 odd hour labour but he wouldn’t fit out so he had to come out the sunroof! (Tbh with the size of my head he wouldn’t have fitted out the channel tunnel!)
Was the most emotional rollercoaster of my life very bizarre 2 days!
what was your head doing up there?

Nick

Administrator
While we wait for Weeman to sort it out. Where do people stand on late invites to birthday parties?

Clearly got an invite because of a cancellation but not too sure how we feel about it. Fully understand that parties have numbers and not everybody can go, inviting on a Friday to a party on the Sunday and the child knowing full well they weren't originally invited leaves a bit of a sour taste. Especially when you have to rush around like a twat to get presents.

Otis

While we wait for Weeman to sort it out. Where do people stand on late invites to birthday parties?

Clearly got an invite because of a cancellation but not too sure how we feel about it. Fully understand that parties have numbers and not everybody can go, inviting on a Friday to a party on the Sunday and the child knowing full well they weren't originally invited leaves a bit of a sour taste. Especially when you have to rush around like a twat to get presents.
Had that a few times. Don't mind at all to be honest.

Remember talking to one parent (her kid wasn't that nice if truth be known) and she was saying that every year she would throw a party and parents would say their kid would be attending and then last minute quite a few would drop out. As she already ordered and prepared food she would therefore have to invite other kids last minute.

So I do understand why it happens.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah I understand that bit, we have had it happen before but if somebody had let us down the last couple of days we wouldn't have scrambled to invite somebody else as we thought it might have insulted them.

I get that the kids probably don't give a shit and will just have fun, but having a parent try and bullshit about it to make it sound as if it isn't just because somebody had cancelled and they needed to fill a space.

Probably just over thinking it but the wife thought the same as soon as I mentioned it.

Otis

Yeah I understand that bit, we have had it happen before but if somebody had let us down the last couple of days we wouldn't have scrambled to invite somebody else as we thought it might have insulted them.

I get that the kids probably don't give a shit and will just have fun, but having a parent try and bullshit about it to make it sound as if it isn't just because somebody had cancelled and they needed to fill a space.

Probably just over thinking it but the wife thought the same as soon as I mentioned it.
Yeah, but with the mum I mentioned, she would invite 20 and then as many as 10 would drop out. That's an awful lot of food waste.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah, but with the mum I mentioned, she would invite 20 and then as many as 10 would drop out. That's an awful lot of food waste.

Yeah but if my daughter wasn't in the top 20 of "friends" the kid wanted there it would feel like they were being a bit desperate to fill the space and get more presents. If my daughter had 20 spaces and people dropped out, we wouldn't dream of scrambling around a couple of days before inviting people she wasn't really that bothered about going in the first place.

Just the way I see it if somebody is inviting to parties 2 days before it. Very cynical I know but realistic.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I’d be the same as you Nick the cynical side but if you go and your daughter enjoys it, other kids give her no grief etc and she’s none the wiser it’s a positive and one to bank for the memory bank regards to the kids parents for future!

Nick

Administrator
I’d be the same as you Nick the cynical side but if you go and your daughter enjoys it, other kids give her no grief etc and she’s none the wiser it’s a positive and one to bank for the memory bank regards to the kids parents for future!

Oh, I'm not worried about her getting any grief or anything it's just knowing she might only be there to fill a space because somebody has dropped out.

She knows the situation, she told me somebody had dropped out from what she had heard but still wants to go.

She would probably go and have a great time, as it will be me dropping her and picking her up I really struggle with the fake niceness that so many parents are great at.

That's another thing, I don't like to be the sort to just turn up and dump their kid and then vanish. On the other hand I can't stand 98% of other parents. (mostly mums) who you know for a fact will be giving it the hugs to each other, the cheek kisses and the smiles and then slating the shit out of one of them when they go.

Weeman can read this as something to look forward to.

Otis

When we have ever done it (on very rare occasions), we have told the parent and child that someone has dropped out and usually we have booked an activity for say 6 or 8, so already paid for it (Laser Quest, WaterWorld, trampoline park, etc.)

Thing is, you have already paid the money. My daughter has wanted to invite more and we have said 'No, you can only have 6' or 'you can only have 8' because we can't afford any more.

Think you will find this is quite often the situation.

So, therefore, my daughter has wanted to invite the person you are now inviting.

Can't see any problem at all to be honest. Obviously not every case is like that, but I do think that it is often the case.

Nick

Administrator
When we have ever done it (on very rare occasions), we have told the parent and child that someone has dropped out and usually we have booked an activity for say 6 or 8, so already paid for it (Laser Quest, WaterWorld, trampoline park, etc.)

Thing is, you have already paid the money. My daughter has wanted to invite more and we have said 'No, you can only have 6' or 'you can only have 8' because we can't afford any more.

Think you will find this is quite often the situation.

I can understand that, surely not the last school day before the weekend of the party though? That's what makes it seem a bit more desperate which grinds a bit more.

Will probably let her go as she will probably have a great time, just a rant about parenthood.

Otis

I can understand that, surely not the last school day before the weekend of the party though? That's what makes it seem a bit more desperate which grinds a bit more.

Will probably let her go as she will probably have a great time, just a rant about parenthood.
No, we have never been that last minute.

I think 5 or 6 days notice is the least we have ever given.

Always seems to be someone who drops out every year. Grrr!!

Skyblueweeman

Morning gents. So, to update.

We came in on Thursday morning at 8am. My wife started having contractions at 7pm on Thursday night which were getting stronger until 11pm last night although the cervix wasn’t dilating any further.

My wife was in so much pain that they decided to bring our baby into the world via c-section.

The newest member of the Sky Blue family is a little boy (wee-Weeman) born at 00.29 and weighing 7lb 14oz. Mum and baby are doing just fine.

Safe to say I’m absolutely smitten...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

We came in on Thursday morning at 8am. My wife started having contractions at 7pm on Thursday night which were getting stronger until 11pm last night although the cervix wasn’t dilating any further.

My wife was in so much pain that they decided to bring our baby into the world via c-section.

The newest member of the Sky Blue family is a little boy (wee-Weeman) born at 00.29 and weighing 7lb 14oz. Mum and baby are doing just fine.

Lovely! Congratulations!

So glad it went okay in the end .... sort of and sorry to hear of the mum's pain. :(

You will of course be reminded what she went through for many years to come.

Don't think I will ever forget the details of ours, because she was born at 14.44 and weighed 14 lbs 14 oz.

I may have perhaps got that very last bit wrong.

Anyway.......

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Congratulations to you both, enjoy!

Nick

Administrator

Well done mate! Sounds like he is bigger than you already :)

wingy

Great stuff. Welcome to the world little one .
Your workload has just increased,naturally ,but also due to the operation, I think it takes some weeks to recover.
I'm sure you will cope and take the duties on with relish ,massive congratulations to you both WM.

fernandopartridge

Congratulations mate and welcome little man!

Otis

So, baby now born. No excuse for Weeman not to get his butt up the Ricoh for this afternoon.

All the hard work is done and it's all just a breeze from now on in.

Nick

Administrator
Thanks all. Just woke up after coming home for 3hrs sleep. Feeling genuinely emotional about it all!

Did you have that weird, surreal bit where you didn't really know what was going on?

I guess as he was way overdue you had more of an idea.

Covstu

Congrats fella, enjoy!

Astute

Congratulations. Middle of the night like predicted :smuggrin:

Look after the wife. Let her have a night or two sleep if you can. She is going to need every bit of energy.

This is the start of the next stage of your life. Enjoy it. And get used to taking deep breaths to calm down :woot:

Skyblueweeman

Did you have that weird, surreal bit where you didn't really know what was going on?

I guess as he was way overdue you had more of an idea.

I think it was surreal after it happened Nick. Driving back to the hospital this morning, it hit home that I’m now responsible for this little human being.

Nick

Administrator
I think it was surreal after it happened Nick. Driving back to the hospital this morning, it hit home that I’m now responsible for this little human being.

When I had my daughter, the bloke whos Mrs had just given birth spent the whole visiting time the next day moaning about parking charges.

He was going to see his baby and was whinging about a tenner.

Game is on ifollow today if they have WiFi ;)

Otis

So..... decided to keep it, Weeman?

Not thought about taking it back to the hospital and saying 'This one's faulty, can I please have a refund'?

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

So..... decided to keep it, Weeman?

Not thought about taking it back to the hihospit and saying 'This one's faulty, can I please have a refund'?

You laugh but when I got to the hospital this morning, my wife was saying exactly that. ‘He doesn’t work properly, can we get a working one?!’

She had a bad night with little sleep but it was his first night so we were expecting it.

Thankfully, mum and baby are both home with me now and baby seems tired! At least Mrs WM has me to help her tonight so fingers crossed the little man has a better night tonight.

Terry Gibson's perm

You laugh but when I got to the hospital this morning, my wife was saying exactly that. ‘He doesn’t work properly, can we get a working one?!’

She had a bad night with little sleep but it was his first night so we were expecting it.

Thankfully, mum and baby are both home with me now and baby seems tired! At least Mrs WM has me to help her tonight so fingers crossed the little man has a better night tonight.

Congratulations to you both.

I would wait a few weeks before you say this is not to bad maybe we should try for another.

Users who are viewing this thread