The Open (1 Viewer)

jimmyhillsfanclub

Just enjoying some highlights but it is bugging me a bit how modern technology in golf is making a mockery of the greatest links course in the world.

The R&A have added over 500 yards to the course since the turn of the century but simply cant keep up with the tech developments....getting a bit ridiculous when not just the big hitters, but the entire field can hit the par 5s with a drive and a wedge.

Bring back the gutty!

Skyblueweeman

Just enjoying some highlights but it is bugging me a bit how modern technology in golf is making a mockery of the greatest links course in the world.

The R&A have added over 500 yards to the course since the turn of the century but simply cant keep up with the tech developments....getting a bit ridiculous when not just the big hitters, but the entire field can hit the par 5s with a drive and a wedge.

Bring back the gutty!

Ironically, St Andrews is probably one of the only courses in the world that despite being 'small' in terms of yardage and the ability to drive a number of Par 4s and get onto the two Par 5s with a drive and a wedge, that still poses a challenge to the golfers.

Yes it was a big score that won but when the wind blows consistently (it didn't for this Open), it totally negates distance.

There's a reason why so many of the worlds top golfers love it - it's like a chess challenge in terms of plotting your way around the course. It's so, so different to the standard PGA courses they play week in, week out in the US as well as the majority of courses elsewhere. It's truly a masterpiece so despite technology rendering more and more courses unsuitable (they don't have room to move tee boxes back), St Andrews will, thankfully, always remain on the rota.

I do think they'll roll the ball back though eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread