The ones who got away (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

I'm sure Strachan but a double bid in for David Thompson and Steven Gerrard

blunted

I'm sure Strachan but a double bid in for David Thompson and Steven Gerrard
Thompson, another one who said he should not have moved to Coventry. So many players said that, you wonder what the atmosphere was like at the club. The American guy who wrote the book, Saying Up said the year we were relegated on national Radio, that he thought we would go down, as Strachan was so uptight. The night before he said we would stay up on CWR. Clearly, thought Coventry people were a bit parochial.

fernandopartridge

Thompson, another one who said he should not have moved to Coventry. So many players said that, you wonder what the atmosphere was like at the club. The American guy who wrote the book, Saying Up said the year we were relegated on national Radio, that he thought we would go down, as Strachan was so uptight. The night before he said we would stay up on CWR. Clearly, thought Coventry people were a bit parochial.
Thompson thought he was a lot better than he was

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

The Great Eastern

I vaguely remember this, especially Ian Crook, who I think turned us down?

Very decent player in that Norwich team that made it into Europe.
I saw Ian Crook playing in a close season charity cricket game for NCFC. Whenever there was a break in play, he rushed over to the boundary where a friend supplied him with a regular stream of cigarettes. I was amazed that a pro sportsman could have such a heavy smoking habit.

WestEndAgro

Steve Bull, would have been a sensational signing imo, he pulled out at the last second after the Wolverhampton hillbillies were prowling the streets with pitch forks.

Legia Sky Blue

Steve Bull, would have been a sensational signing imo, he pulled out at the last second after the Wolverhampton hillbillies were prowling the streets with pitch forks.
I'm not so sure. He was at the end of his career and not the player he was. We had Dublin and Ndlovu upfront at the time with Huckerby to follow so doubt he would have been better than them.

Around the time of trying to sign Crook we also tried to sign Ian Dawes (not sure if he was at QPR or Millwall at that time) and Dennis Wise from Wimbledon. Also when we were vying with Forest to sign Trevor Francis we also were in for Kevin Beattie.

ProfessorbyGrace

Rune Lange, another free-scoring Norwegian that slipped the net. This was in ‘98 I think, just after we sold Dublin.

SBT

Rune Lange, another free-scoring Norwegian that slipped the net. This was in ‘98 I think, just after we sold Dublin.
Great shout. Ended up going to Trabzonspor where he averaged a goal every other game in the Turkish league, which as we all know is an omen of great success in England. Lange signed for Hartlepool a few years later.

junglej13

I was convinced Lund was going to be quality.
Seem to recall on him on the back of the Telegraph holding the number 9 shirt. For once our medical team actually did their job. Failed his medical then shortly afterwards did his ACL I think.

The Philosopher

Who was that German player who linked up with us 3 times or whatever when we used to keep going to Germany pre season. What happened to him?

Adge

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the Gazza one which some said was a bit of a PR stunt?

LastChance

We know Robins often says that this is a player we tried to sign previously etc etc

so this is a thread for players we think we tried to sign this window … we can then see how they perform between now and January ….

Brekalo
Swift
Dragus
Neil Lennon

pusbccfc

Whittaker has scored again for Plymouth

Users who are viewing this thread