The Olympics (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Is anyone else in the same mind as me and couldn't really give two hoots about them? When London was awarded the Olympics a few years ago, I said then that it was a huge mistake. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for athletes doing well for themselves, it's just that the whole country will be topsy-turvey until the closing ceremony. On top of that, the cost has been horrific! Forget about saying "..but it will create jobs". Where? East London, that's where. A few jobs for pool attendants and turnstile guys at the new Olympic stadium when it's all over. And who will get those jobs? The same people who've got the jobs with G4S! How does this help the country while it's in such a financial mess due to a double recession?
Shoot me down in flames. I don't really care. I've said my piece and welcome other posters input.

spwaverley4916

totally agree - I work on the railway and everything in the south of the country has been geared around the olympics for the last 12 months. the trade unions have a no strike deal with additional payments made to those affected (rosters,leave cancellation, additional hours) and who does that benefit - those in the south!
I will be going to two of the days at the Ricoh - sorry City of Coventry Stadium - buts thats only as its football and its on my doorstep - had it been anywhere else i wouldn't bother as the TV is the best seat to have.
total overkill on the work done around the COCS - hedges trimmed, roads swept, new carpark gates at wheelwright lane. been trying to get the council hedge cut by my house for 12 months - nothing

blueflint

you won't get me near them tickets too expensive athletics mainly druggies and when the gun goes off on the hundred mtrs every coloured in london will start running

flammablepiss

Facebook User
I agree. I respect the ability of the athletes but does anyone really get excited over the Olympics? Who ever hears "Shit I can't wait for the shot-put this year"?. It has nothing to do with Olympia or indeed any of the core values that the Olympics is supposed to represent. Just money, advertisement and greed! Even the running of the torch was idea from the nazis (which we still celebrate and cheer for like a bunch of monkeys today). The average person isn't going to get a job either, they fly foreign security and workers over for that. Plus as the city becomes increasingly a flexing show of force that will do little to prevent a terrorist attack, A lot of areas in the UK are going to be left heavily under policed during the games. Forgive me for the moan, But I am sick of the Olympics. As a host we are going to see little of the profits made anyway and quite simply I refuse to be a part of the false loveliness of it all.

Last edited:

Paxman II

Typical Brits...we are about to put on a show for the world and you have to find reason to hate it already before the opening ceremony!

Why the fcuk am I back in this country....the land of negativity.

Macca

Typical Brits...we are about to put on a show for the world and you have to find reason to hate it already before the opening ceremony!

Why the fcuk am I back in this country....the land of negativity.

Because like many people i know who have gone off abroad you realise that this is one if the best and safest places to be?

Paxman II

Britain one of the safest places to be? I think not my friend. I lived in France for 17 years nearly and the USA for over 10 years and both were safer and superior environments.

Before you ask.....I came back because of a multitude of reasons least of all family. Eventually I'll be gone again when the right time allows but I'll miss my Sky Blues as always but I'll see them back in the premiership first! :)

Macca

I ll take my chance over here rather than the states thanks. I know Statistics can lie but I ll take our crime figures over theirs!! And our health service, oh and gun laws come to think of it. Earthquakes, tornadoes, don t fancy them much. Rattlesnakes, alligators, bears... I ll stick to foxes and badgers. And the chance that my sarcasm would go completely unnoticed over there would be unbearable :)

Steve.B50

I also agree, no interest at all and just booked a Holiday next week asw fed up with them already. Waste of money and had London rammed down our throats for years. So they play a few games of Football in other parts of the UK, who cares ? I do not know one person who has tickets for any event anywqhere so where is all this money going to come from thats due into the UK through the Olympics?
Got more interest trying to get my tickets for Dagenham today.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I ll take my chance over here rather than the states thanks. I know Statistics can lie but I ll take our crime figures over theirs!! And our health service, oh and gun laws come to think of it. Earthquakes, tornadoes, don t fancy them much. Rattlesnakes, alligators, bears... I ll stick to foxes and badgers. And the chance that my sarcasm would go completely unnoticed over there would be unbearable :)

You forgot to mention one thing Macca.......... the American people! - They who must be obeyed! :D I wouldn't even VISIT the states because of them!

spwaverley4916

You sarcastic -?

Paxman II

Have you lived everywhere in the uk then pax?

Actually macca there are a few places I would like to live in the UK but unfortunately where ever it is the weather will always be an obsticle for me.
I like warm sunshine! ;)

Macca

Now I m with you there. If we could guarantee that there would be a whole list of places in the uk I would holiday in.

D

Deleted member 4232

I'm going to the Ricoh on thursday, to watch Belarus v New Zealand.

It's going to be a spectacular show of footballing excellence.

Otis

you won't get me near them tickets too expensive athletics mainly druggies and when the gun goes off on the hundred mtrs every coloured in london will start running

We are all coloured aren't we? :thinking about:

Si80

I have hockey tickets and cannot wait for the Olympics to start. Yeah they were expensive, but I'm getting to see two of the worlds best mens teams play so will be a treat. Will probably look to pick up some more if I can get my hands on them too.

Have the opportunity to take a couple of tickets for the COCS games, unsure yet as I'm sure the football will be of a better standard than what we'll see next year :eek:

There are a lot of grumpy folk on this place. Likely to be a once in my lifetime opportunity, I'm not going to miss the chance of seeing it.

Macca

I think black is back in fashion now. We were taught to say coloured and black was not good. Seems to have reversed now. Funny how worked up we get about words. I would find being called white quite offensive today as lobster pink would be far more accurate

Users who are viewing this thread