The Official Petition Thread (1 Viewer)

Brentford fans have asked that we sign their petition in return
http://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109600

"While we are at it we would appreciate you sign our petition to the Mayor of London to give the go ahead for us to have a much needed new stadium,essential to Brentfords future.
There is other threads on here with the links,which are also easy to find on Twitter and facebook.
If you do so and share the link/s likewise I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated and nudge more into backing your cause,Ta

Our petition link is https://www.change.org/petitions/the...-p-2013-1811-4 "

sbvet

Banned
If things do taper off (which they will at some point) we just come up with different ways to get signatures.

We WILL get 100k signatures!

How are you going to do this? Was this part of the initial plan? This morning it was 11,100 now its 11,500 - that's 400 today I'd say that is one hell of a taper! From following the campaign, Michael said a lot of how he had thought this through in great detail, so I can only assume he has a fully detailed plan of action for the campaign. If you are expecting a massive ground swell of support through a stall on the street, I'm afraid you may well be in for a shock.

The telegraph run multiple stalls, newspaper spreads, and vans at strategic places, and they managed 20k. Has KCIC got these kind of resources to throw at the campaign?

With these kind of campaigns, there is a significant drop off in enthusiasm by the general public. If the message is clear and simple then that enthusiasm can be maintained longer, but from the petition, it is a very dry affair - asking for revisiting work on governance. It may well be important to KCIC, but do you think the general public give a damn?

Personally, I genuinely believe you have a very difficult road ahead. If you want it to succeed you will have to plough a lot of money to get it to work. If so you have to ask what are the odds it will actually be taken up by government.

If you believe 100% the government will spend millions going over stuff they have already done work on then fine, but if not I'd strongly suggest you think of the long term strategy. Just saying we will do it just will not cut it unfortunately!

Here are the number of petition votes per postcode (as of about 7pm), if anyone is interested? Attached as a notepad file. There are 5 votes from Sunderland postcodes ... them Northern softies, I knew they loved us

Attachments

• Votes Per Postcode.txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 20
Here are the number of petition votes per postcode (as of about 7pm), if anyone is interested? Attached as a notepad file. There are 5 votes from Sunderland postcodes ... them Northern softies, I knew they loved us

How did you obtain that?

Also shouldn't there be some sort of response once 10k signatures are achieved like with the other petitions? I imagine they are drafting something up.

How did you obtain that?

Also shouldn't there be some sort of response once 10k signatures are achieved like with the other petitions? I imagine they are drafting something up.

It tells you how to get the info in the FAQ on the petition website. It´s a JSON file, but you can import into excel with a little fiddling. I was hoping to graph votes over time to see how they decline, but they only give postcode info, not timestamps of votes

Skyblueweeman

How are you going to do this? Was this part of the initial plan? This morning it was 11,100 now its 11,500 - that's 400 today I'd say that is one hell of a taper! From following the campaign, Michael said a lot of how he had thought this through in great detail, so I can only assume he has a fully detailed plan of action for the campaign. If you are expecting a massive ground swell of support through a stall on the street, I'm afraid you may well be in for a shock.

The telegraph run multiple stalls, newspaper spreads, and vans at strategic places, and they managed 20k. Has KCIC got these kind of resources to throw at the campaign?

With these kind of campaigns, there is a significant drop off in enthusiasm by the general public. If the message is clear and simple then that enthusiasm can be maintained longer, but from the petition, it is a very dry affair - asking for revisiting work on governance. It may well be important to KCIC, but do you think the general public give a damn?

Personally, I genuinely believe you have a very difficult road ahead. If you want it to succeed you will have to plough a lot of money to get it to work. If so you have to ask what are the odds it will actually be taken up by government.

If you believe 100% the government will spend millions going over stuff they have already done work on then fine, but if not I'd strongly suggest you think of the long term strategy. Just saying we will do it just will not cut it unfortunately!

If people had as much enthusiasm to get people to sign it as they did questioning it, we'd be laughing.

400 a day...that would take 225 days to get 90,000. Simple maths. Do I think we'll get 400 a day. No.

Do I think we can come up with enough ideas to push us over 100,000. Yes.

This will take a push from everyone, not just a handful on here. There needs to be many more signatures from the CV postcode for sure.

WM

Skyblueweeman

Interesting that. Living in a PO postcode, I can assume my mates weren't lying when they said they signed. And the SO postcode, we seriously need to buy SFC a beer or something!

WM

sbvet

Banned
If people had as much enthusiasm to get people to sign it as they did questioning it, we'd be laughing.

400 a day...that would take 225 days to get 90,000. Simple maths. Do I think we'll get 400 a day. No.

Do I think we can come up with enough ideas to push us over 100,000. Yes.

This will take a push from everyone, not just a handful on here. There needs to be many more signatures from the CV postcode for sure.

WM

But what exactly?

It's no good just saying if everyone did this or if everyone did that! If my mother had balls she would be my father!

Surely these plans were in place before the petition were signed - so what are they?

WM?

Are people not allowed to ask a pretty relevant question - or must we blindly follow like the sixfields 1k? I'm one of those CV postcode fans you must win over to get past the 100k line.

If you can convince me its worthwhile I will sign - if you cannot why should I ?

And if that is your attitude towards people who are undecided do you honestly believe you can win over 90,000 people, by insulting or just dismissing concerns? If it is then you definitely are going to struggle! Your argument has to be able to stand up to scrutiny. If it doesn't stand up to scrutiny by a fan, how the fook do you expect it to pass scrutiny from MPs with no link to coventry and maybe not even like football!

Surely if the cause is so good then it should be a no brainer to win me over. So why should I sign ? If 100k is the sole objective forget it I'm out.

Ref the numbers you seem to be missing the point. The first 2-3 weeks for any campaign are vital. If you are getting dribs and drabs now, you stand no chance when you aren't getting free press and you have exhausted all the footie forums.

So what is the long term plan when the forums dry up and why should I sign?

Not a wind up a genuine question. Surely you should be able to answer without insulting can't you?

But what exactly?

It's no good just saying if everyone did this or if everyone did that! If my mother had balls she would be my father!

Surely these plans were in place before the petition were signed - so what are they?

WM?

Are people not allowed to ask a pretty relevant question - or must we blindly follow like the sixfields 1k? I'm one of those CV postcode fans you must win over to get past the 100k line.

If you can convince me its worthwhile I will sign - if you cannot why should I ?

And if that is your attitude towards people who are undecided do you honestly believe you can win over 90,000 people, by insulting or just dismissing concerns? If it is then you definitely are going to struggle! Your argument has to be able to stand up to scrutiny. If it doesn't stand up to scrutiny by a fan, how the fook do you expect it to pass scrutiny from MPs with no link to coventry and maybe not even like football!

Surely if the cause is so good then it should be a no brainer to win me over. So why should I sign ? If 100k is the sole objective forget it I'm out.

Ref the numbers you seem to be missing the point. The first 2-3 weeks for any campaign are vital. If you are getting dribs and drabs now, you stand no chance when you aren't getting free press and you have exhausted all the footie forums.

Not a wind up a genuine question. Surely you should be able to answer without insulting can't you?

Where did he insult you?

Why all this talk of dribs and drabs? It needs 275 a day to succeed, and it´s averaging close to 1k. Today it stands at approaching 700. I don´t see what all the flap is about? You have a point with the tail off, but as one of the other posters suggested we need to move away from solely footy forums, and target general forums. Also wasn´t someone talking about having a stall in the city centre?

Why not just sign it? You´re a Coventry fan, it´ll cost you nothing, you/the club might (only might) gain something

But what exactly?

WM?

sbvet, why should you sign? Very strange question for a City fan to ask - even if you don't agree with the campaign strategy.

Your arguments would gain far more credibility if you were to offer us some alternative ideas.

We all want the same thing, so let's try and be productive. Bring something to the table other than criticism.

mark82

But what exactly?

WM?

I signed because I want to know the truth behind what has gone on at our club. I also want a structure putting in place that stops this happening to any other club. Football in this country needs safeguarding, at the moment it is out of control.

100k is the target as it would mean an automatic parliamentary debate. This is the number needed for us to have a chance of anything being done to put better safeguards in place to stop this happening again.

Rusty Trombone

I signed because I want to know the truth behind what has gone on at our club. I also want a structure putting in place that stops this happening to any other club. Football in this country needs safeguarding, at the moment it is out of control.

100k is the target as it would mean an automatic parliamentary debate. This is the number needed for us to have a chance of anything being done to put better safeguards in place to stop this happening again.

Just to point out the 100k doesn't mean an automatic debate, it only means it will be considered for debate. Obviously it gives a chance, and it is raising awareness of the matter, so hopefully the target will be reached.

sbvet

Banned
WM is generally Wind Up Merchant. Does this mean something else on this thread?

And why has me asking a genuine and reasonable question all of a sudden leading to implying I am not a cov fan if I don't sign?

I never sign anything just for the sake. It doesn't necessarily have to be 100% of success, but I do have to believe in the cause, otherwise it is just platitude. And certainly everyone in my family and friends have also raised concerns as to what this campaign's aim actually is.

Of course you do not have to justify your campaign if you don't want to. However I thought it might be useful for you to see why you are possibly missing out on a number of signatures. You have mentioned stalls in town centre, and as I have run several of these campaigns, I generally have over time determined what works what doesn't and what to expect in reality.

If Michael has this experience then fine. If you don't give a toss if I sign or not fine. I came on here with genuine questions about the campaign. I would have thought if you are so passionate about the cause, you would be able to argue your corner with more than denegrating my support of the club.

I just thought it might be helpful to realise that once you take the campaign past your comfort zone of zealot loyalists, you have to be able to answer these type of questions with more than implying I am not a cov fan. To get the numbers required, you are going to have to convince non zealot fans, and general public from Coventry.

I shall leave it up to you. If you want to fight the cause fine, if not fine. I want sisu out, I just do not see how this can possibly achieve it. Out of 22,000 petitions only 25 have achieved 100k. Just thought you might like to practice trying to win people to your cause. From Ginettas response I am guessing you dont want to do that.

Rusty Trombone

WM is the signature that Skyblueweeman uses, he isn't accusing you of being on the wind up. Just a misunderstanding I think.

Monkeyface

Think that's all the non-league clubs tweeted, very positive response from them too.
sbvet, fully understand your questioning of the epetition. I can't tell you what everyone else wants it to achieve, but for me, I just want to what I can to find wtf has happened to my club, who is responsible (whoever that is), and to hopefully play my part in seeing fans at the heart of football.
Without trying to be all emotive... I started going watching the city, like most lads, with my old man. I've got so many special memories of traveling up and down the country with him, listening to his stories from the late 60's and 70's. I'll never forget those, and so many lads and dads are missing out on that. Sadly my dad passed away in December 13, aged just 56, and to know he watched his beloved Sky Blues being torn apart by the very people that should have been nurturing it, well lets just say its pissed me off a little. Maybe I'm taking it all a little personally, but I don't think so. I just can't bare the idea that somebody can do what the fuck they like with mine, my families and your football club, and if I can make it as difficult for them as possible I will.

On a brighter note, the re-tweets from non-league clubs continue to role in. They've been more accommodating than the league clubs!

sbvet

Banned
Think that's all the non-league clubs tweeted, very positive response from them too.
sbvet, fully understand your questioning of the epetition. I can't tell you what everyone else wants it to achieve, but for me, I just want to what I can to find wtf has happened to my club, who is responsible (whoever that is), and to hopefully play my part in seeing fans at the heart of football.
Without trying to be all emotive... I started going watching the city, like most lads, with my old man. I've got so many special memories of traveling up and down the country with him, listening to his stories from the late 60's and 70's. I'll never forget those, and so many lads and dads are missing out on that. Sadly my dad passed away in December 13, aged just 56, and to know he watched his beloved Sky Blues being torn apart by the very people that should have been nurturing it, well lets just say its pissed me off a little. Maybe I'm taking it all a little personally, but I don't think so. I just can't bare the idea that somebody can do what the fuck they like with mine, my families and your football club, and if I can make it as difficult for them as possible I will.

On a brighter note, the re-tweets from non-league clubs continue to role in. They've been more accommodating than the league clubs!

Thanks MF, but reading some of the responses, I genuinely think some don't fully understand what getting 100k votes actually achieves. Someone posted in response it gives an automatic debate in parliament - this cannot be further from the truth! All it does is allow it to be considered for debate! It still has to be championed by an MP and debated on its merits- exactly as I am trying to ask you guys what that argument is!

Have you guys seen the controversy about the whole process? There are weeks and weeks of backlog, it meets fortnightly, and as I say it has to be justified by an MP! There is no guarantee it will go beyond the sub-committee stage, and there is absolutely no guarantee of an inquiry.

You may or may not make a distinction between this and a Judicial Review - but will a group of neutral MP's ? Could a group of back bench MPs truly have the punch to force such an inquiry (Senior party MPs consider this a waste of time!).

My point is, if you guys cannot make a strong case for signing other than you aren't a true Cov fan if you don't sign - how are you going to convince an MP to champion it? MPs will always sign local petitions - but it's a different story for putting their arse on the line in parliament! I mean feel free to assume it's automatic, but I think Michael is paying lip service to this. I definitely think if you ignore such practicalities, you are planning to fail imho.

As for weeman, Fair shout, but I definitely do not appreciate those driving this implying I am any less a fan just because I won't sign petitions without understanding what it actually wants to achieve! You have to admit it is a very dry subject matter, and judging by the responses of some, they have assumed something will happen that may well not be the case!

I would appreciate if Michael could confirm or deny if he understands that debate is not automatic for these things, and if he does, then it is fair he should ensure others realise this, and if not, then he really hasn't researched it well! Considering he has been mooting this for weeks prior to christmas that would be quite disturbing if he didn't understand the full implications!

sbvet

Banned

That's your reason - fair comment. You do realise it is not automatic don't you? Do you think the back-benchers who handle these have the punch to get the legislation required? I suggested licencing for owners - How would that not have the effect of preventing abuses far more effectively as a review? If they could lose their licence to own a club if they do the things sisu have done, then sisu would be banned from owning clubs!

And surely getting rid of sisu is the ultimat aim - not just the review - Or have I missed something?

mark82

The automatic debate thing was my mistake. To be clear - I have nothing to do with the petition other than that I support it (despite what Michael thinks).

mark82

That's your reason - fair comment. You do realise it is not automatic don't you? Do you think the back-benchers who handle these have the punch to get the legislation required? I suggested licencing for owners - How would that not have the effect of preventing abuses far more effectively as a review? If they could lose their licence to own a club if they do the things sisu have done, then sisu would be banned from owning clubs!

And surely getting rid of sisu is the ultimat aim - not just the review - Or have I missed something?

I think licensing is a good idea, but how would it be upheld any better than the current owners and directors test? In all honesty the only people who can really make a difference are the FA and the football league. Maybe getting 100k sigs would force their hand?

I also think there maybe needs to be a multi club protest down in London. Maybe not all clubs fans would support it but dare say you would get some from teams like Leeds, Cardiff, Hull, Wimbledon, Portsmouth.

Monkeyface

Getting rid of SISU will be the aim foe a lot of people signing, but the whole city has money tied up in the Ricoh. Plus the regeneration of the area has gone stagnant partly/mainly because of this, I think every citizen of Coventry should be doing their bit to get some answers. It may not lead to a public debate, but it will certainly achieve more than doing nothing.
And for the record, I personally want to see the back of SISU, the thought of Tim Fisher and Joy Seppalla playing fast and lose with the club and community angers me. But I am more than aware of the city councils short comings!

RoboCCFC90

A milestone for the petition is that we have now exceeded the average gate for last season at home in the numbers of the public signing.

MichaelCCFC

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by sbvet

I think licensing is a good idea, but how would it be upheld any better than the current owners and directors test? In all honesty the only people who can really make a difference are the FA and the football league. Maybe getting 100k sigs would force their hand?

I also think there maybe needs to be a multi club protest down in London. Maybe not all clubs fans would support it but dare say you would get some from teams like Leeds, Cardiff, Hull, Wimbledon, Portsmouth.

Yesterday got very fractious on this and other threads so to start a new day in a more positive frame of mind...

Mark - the multi club protest is a really good idea. All my available time is going on the epetition so is there any chance you could maybe contact fans' groups at hull, cardiff and maybe leeds to see if there is any interest?

sbvet - i might be seeing things in simple terms but for me it's just down to personal choice as to whether people agree with the petition or not and whether they want to sign it. The wording of the petition is straight forward and some people are signing it but other people I've asked have said no. There's no guarantee it will succeed but my attitude is always that unless you try you never achieve anything. And to talk it through properly why not come along and have a pint on the 26th?

Skyblueweeman

But what exactly?

WM?

Had an early night so missed this. Ok, in running order:

* But if everyone did sign it and promoted it as much as others on this thread, we'd would get there. Fact. To give you an example...look at the postcode breakdown posted last night. I live in the PO postcode and also got the Saints fans on side on their forum (which was easy, as they were on our side anyway). PO and SO postcode sign ups, over 100. If 1000 Cov fans got the same, bingo. Simple maths like I said.
* I can't speak for Michaels plans before the petition went live but what I know is that not everything starts with total plans set in place. Ask Sisu for example. The beauty of having 12 months is that we can start as we have done, then change tact as and when needed. Even if you do have a plan in place for what you're going to do, invariably it changes. In my industry, our plans are forever changing based on market conditions. It doesn't matter what we necessarily have planned, our current position can help sculpt future activities. It just takes buy-in from other fans like you and I.
* WM as someone pointed out, is me signing off as Wee-Man. Not sure why I would sign off as Wind Up Merchant??
* You are allowed to ask a relevant question...I didn't say you couldn't??
* Convince you to sign it? That's your choice and it's up to you to convince yourself to do so, not mine. All about individual choice. For what it's worth, the reason I've signed it....well, where do I start. You've not had many posts in this forum so I'm not sure if you've read the threads on this place regularly over the past few years. If not, here's a quick synopsis of whats gone on - CCFC blighted by previous owners/current regime, Fans divided, ACL/CCC in £14m 'loan' query, CCFC continues to be a selling club, Fans divided, Steve Waggott seems to know what he's doing, Tim Fisher doesn't, We no longer play in Coventry, Fans are divided...massively, FL 'seem' pretty spineless, Many people need to answer questions, SISU/Otium not overly keen on exposure etc etc. There's too many individuals responsible for our current situation of not playing in Coventry. Wouldn't it be good to have the spotlight on them in such a manner? Wasn't the coverage of the fans holding up the signs at Arsenal a 'lump in the throat' moment for you? It was for me and I want to see individuals grilled about the state of our club so we can be proud of not only the great work SP is doing, but also proud of our club off the pitch.
* Attitude towards people not singing? What attitude? I merely stated that if more people signed and asked others to sign, we'd have a chance of the above happening. Fact. I thought I was sensitive...
* MPs - Some have signed? Make of that what you will.
* 100k isn't the sole objective. See point 5.
* Ref numbers - you're right, the first few weeks are vital. We're 12% there in about 3% of the time. Again, good going in my eyes...maybe not yours. Michael is working with local press on pushing it further and is after local helpers to go into shopping centres to get more. It won't bring 10,000 but might bring 500. That's 500 more than we would've had. I live on the South Coast so cannot attend. If you're local maybe you could? Be part of potentially saving your club?
* Long term plan - Michael can discuss that...he's having a beer with a few people on the 26th (I think). One things for sure, if CCFC fans are passionate about our club and want the powers that be, grilled about our club and where we are, we'll get to 100k signatures. Maybe not in the next couple of months, but certainly within the 50 week window we still have.

In a nutshell, it's totally up to you to sign. I can't for one minute think of why a Cov fan wouldn't sign it though?? Each to their own.

Oh, and one thing I'm not on this forum, is insulting (unless I've been insulted). I've got circa 700 posts for you to check if you like.

WM (WeeMan) ;)

sbvet

Banned
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by sbvet

Yesterday got very fractious on this and other threads so to start a new day in a more positive frame of mind...

Mark - the multi club protest is a really good idea. All my available time is going on the epetition so is there any chance you could maybe contact fans' groups at hull, cardiff and maybe leeds to see if there is any interest?

sbvet - i might be seeing things in simple terms but for me it's just down to personal choice as to whether people agree with the petition or not and whether they want to sign it. The wording of the petition is straight forward and some people are signing it but other people I've asked have said no. There's no guarantee it will succeed but my attitude is always that unless you try you never achieve anything. And to talk it through properly why not come along and have a pint on the 26th?

This isn't really answering my concerns Michael. This is all very well and good for a local issue campaign, talking down the pub etc - but you simply cannot do that with 90k people! I've asked a fairly simple question I thought, however not sure if you understand what I meant or not.

Michael do you understand that it is not automatic that if you achieve 100k you get a parliamentary debate?

This entire campaign has been making people believe is automatic as was stated on here. Could you please tell everyone how you understand how ePetitions work or do you believe ePetitions are automatic?

Because your answer is avoiding the issue.

As for licencing, they would have to accept that you cannot be allowed to run up significant debts on a club or take a team out of its catchment area, and as a licence if you do not behave within the rules of owning a licence then you must have that licence removed. This would be the same for all owners new or current. It would be determined by the government, so out of the hands of the spineless FA / FL.

BTW do you honestly believe achieving 100k is going to force their hands? In my opinion that is a particularly naive stance - especially considering what we all know about sisu. I am becoming quite disturbed by the responses to my questions. Not in the tone, but rather the naive optimism. A lot of the posters are just avoiding the painful questions. Also you have said here wording is straightforward. Well I am looking at it from the p.o.v. of someone not so closely involved, and it certainly doesn't come across as straightforward as you clearly think it does. If you will bear with me, I shall try and explain my point, and I ask you answer (I don't drink BTW, so pubs are out - besides you should be able to argue your case on merit not try and win me over by being buddy buddy if you want to get the numbers!)

Without Fans there is no Football - Fine emotive headline, but nothing to do with the ePetition!

Football is our national game but the interests of fans are being disregarded by club owners and ruling bodies - government action is needed - Ok so far, but personally believe it's the FA's responsibility Don't want government involved in football, but can see your point so far...

UK football clubs are not financial franchises: they are rooted in their local communities and are an important part of local identity and heritage - No probs

But a new type of club owner is disregarding all that, pricing many people out of the game with inflated ticket and other costs, alienating people by seeking to change clubs’ names, colours and so on - OK

Football's governing bodies are failing to address the situation - Cannot disagree

This next bit is a massive problem with the petition for me...

We therefore ask that the Department for Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee revisits its work on football governance and illustrates growing problems by undertaking a short Inquiry into one particular club, Coventry City, whose owner has relocated the club from the City of Coventry to Northampton, 35 miles away. This will highlight concerns shared by football fans across the country, and the need for action.

So you are admitting this has already been carried out by the government?
Not a new inquiry, but a rehash of the same old ground?

Considering how much these things cost, are you honestly expecting the government to do this?

I personally cannot see any benefit in doing this whatsoever, I certainly do not see the benefit of spending millions of pounds of taxpayers money on a repeat of an inquiry?

Have I read this wrong? If so, the wording is highly confusing. If not, then to my eyes I could never condone signing this!

Please explain as you say in your simplistic view, how you ever expected this to work?

I am genuinely struggling to see how you could even conceive this would ever be carried out or useful?

I was really hoping to be convinced this was a good idea. So far all you have done is shown me how passionate you are about this cause and how little seem really understand about the ePetition process.

For me, I think Michael et al are just to close to this to see with objective eyes. I truly hoped you would sell this to me. From your response, it appears you are simply appealing to me as a fellow fan. That will get you so far, but it will not get the numbers you need!

sbvet

Banned
And Michael I apologise if I have offended with this - certainly not my intention. But at some point you are going to have to call on people who aren't so invested in CCFC! I suspect a lot of those people are going to read the petition just as I have. IMHO you need to start working on ways to counter these questions. Sure it's what politicians do, but is that not the point! You have left the football world with this and entered the political arena.

You have to decide if you want to act like a football fan, and hope that there are the numbers of fans who will sign this, or do you expect the people of Coventry to sign this. Bear in mind though, one of your group came out stating 400 per club, 50k Cov people. If that is the case you have to turn politician or accept you may well not get anywhere near and be content in trying.

Users who are viewing this thread