The official NFL Thread (2 Viewers)

tisza

Fields at 11 and Jones at 15 are very good value

SF massively overpaid for Lance and I'm not sure Wilson is a no.2 pick

Pitts at 4 is my best value pick
49ers have overpaid. Think they made the trade too early. But Lance could be good.
I'm curious about Wilson - can't get past how weak opposition was last year and he was behind a dominant O line against that level of competition.
Think Pitts could be a genuine superstar as TE and WR3. Dolphins taking Phillips a gamble - could be a great player but the injury history is such a worry particularly the concussions. Know the Vikings were interested but injuries too risky for me particularly as Hunter is coming back from such a big injury

Liquid Gold

Like Davis but think JOK was a better option. Like the way your defense has been 2 years in the making. Fitz will be okay. Bit early to judge 2022 QB class but should be less demand next season unless some of these rookie QBs are complete busts. Vikings will be looking.
A lot of fans on twitter saying the same as you, wouldn't have been unhappy with that but I think JOK's strength lies in his versatility whereas what they liked about Davis was they can just stick him behind the front 4 and let him work. We have the versatility elsewhere.

Although it's not a flashy pick we've had enough of that with Allen running the show and Snyder deciding he wants someone. Seems we're being run sensibly now and just have a defence that should get us to 8 wins at least.

Once the team is complete we can get the QB we want on the cheap contract with money spent around the rest of the roster and it doesn't matter what we mortgage to get him.

David O'Day

49ers have overpaid. Think they made the trade too early. But Lance could be good.
I'm curious about Wilson - can't get past how weak opposition was last year and he was behind a dominant O line against that level of competition.
Think Pitts could be a genuine superstar as TE and WR3. Dolphins taking Phillips a gamble - could be a great player but the injury history is such a worry particularly the concussions. Know the Vikings were interested but injuries too risky for me particularly as Hunter is coming back from such a big injury

Yeah Lance has a massive amount of potential but it's what they gave away for someone who is nowhere near a likely starter yet is mad.

David O'Day

Another thing abut Wilson is he is going to be day 1 starter after one good Season in an year of opt outs. Madness

He could of been better served being picked by one of the teams that needed a QB but had this years in place.

tisza

Another thing abut Wilson is he is going to be day 1 starter after one good Season in an year of opt outs. Madness

He could of been better served being picked by one of the teams that needed a QB but had this years in place.
Wilson could be similar to Mayfield - can make those spectacular throws/plays at college level but doesn't mean it works in NFL. Nobody going to say Mayfield is anything more a top 15 QB atm and that's after the Browns altered their scheme to compensate for his inconsistency. Do the Browns even extend him - took the 5th year option rather than pay him this time around?
But sometimes 1 season wonders do okay - Burrow started alright but he's got a long way to go even with the injury

Liquid Gold

I’m just thinking about the enormity of what’s happening to these kids. A few days ago they were just college students and now they are playing in the NFL with contracts guaranteeing them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

People like Trevor Lawrence have been preparing for this for years but some 5th round guys have just declared in the hope they get taken and it’s all working out for them.

tisza

I’m just thinking about the enormity of what’s happening to these kids. A few days ago they were just college students and now they are playing in the NFL with contracts guaranteeing them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

People like Trevor Lawrence have been preparing for this for years but some 5th round guys have just declared in the hope they get taken and it’s all working out for them.
Lawrence will around 37 million for the years inc. 24 million signing bonus. "Drops" swiftly as 32nd pick will get around 11 million inc 5.5 m signing bonus.
Last pick of 7th round will get around 2.7 m for the 4 years although 5th round onwards none of it is guaranteed.
It's life changing money for some but only around 30% get a 2nd contract and the average career length is still only just over 3 years. But get
that 2nd contract in nearly all positions and then you're set for life.
It;s where NFL is so different. You know every year at least 250 players are joining so space has to be made at the other end to accommodate them. teams will have 90 players under contract by the time camp starts but only 53 left when the season starts. So nearly 3000 jobs become around 1700 in 2 months - practice squad players can make up to 192 k if they survive the regular season but it's a week by week wage

tisza

Usual draft. Some strange picks, unexpected risers & fallers. Some good players not even drafted.
Happy with the Vikings draft - probably only one odd pick. O line finally sorted, nice depth chart and some interesting prospects for the future.
Combined with the mass of developmental picks from 2019 & 2020 hopefully stepping up looks like a decent roster.

Skybluefaz

Feel like the Seahawks did pretty well with what they had to play with. Trading up for the offensive lineman was a big need, I'm assuming he's going to be a starter. I really haven't seen any college football so it's all presumption. A little surprised we drafted a receiver in the second round in Eskridge but excited to see what he can do. Still hoping KJ Wright will sign on for next season.

tisza

Always amazed by the focus pundits & teams seemingly put on athleticism over talent & performance - particularly for defensive players. Also the obligatory "needs to put on 20-30 lbs" regardless of playing position or current weight

CCFCSteve

stumbled across All or Nothing which is now Sky on demand. I’d seen a couple of old episodes on YouTube but hadn’t seen that they were on sky. Worth a watch though (as is Last Chance U and QB Beyond the lights - they featured Fields a couple of years back - both netflix)

David O'Day

stumbled across All or Nothing which is now Sky on demand. I’d seen a couple of old episodes on YouTube but hadn’t seen that they were on sky. Worth a watch though (as is Last Chance U and QB Beyond the lights - they featured Fields a couple of years back - both netflix)

If you have Prime there loads of the all or nothing series on their as well.

tisza

My Sundays are missing something. Can September hurry up and get here.
Can't wait. Think it could be a spectacular season. Lot of teams upgraded, crowds back.
Think it could be really competitive and a couple of unfancied teams could really make a push.

tisza

Carl Nassib becomes first openly gay NFL player. Huge respect to him for coming out.

Been a few players come out after they've finished playing. A couple of players that were thought to be good enough to be drafted weren't after coming out before the draft. Maybe that's why college players aren't coming out still.
Does Nassib make a difference there - probably going to take a top college star to come out to alter that narrative.
Other issue is it is much more difficult for African AMericans to come out for cultural reasons and they make up such a significant % of NFL players

tisza

Kirk has always been a bit of a nut case but it seems he's finally gone off the deep end

He's as good as gone end of the season. Also refused to restructure to help with cap situation back in Feb.
Zimmer fighting for his job and QB not co-operating. If Zimmer had a pass for this season then Cousins would have been traded to the 49ers.

Don't think Plexiglass is going to save him when some non-vaccinated DE is sacking his arse and breathing all over him.

Problem also Vikings apparently have lowest vaccine rate in NFL 65% but some key players apparently not - Thielen, Smith, Cousins and others.
NFL rules are strong on non-vaccinated players. Almost guarantee some team is going to miss out on play-offs as key players will be missing for games. Brady another not to be vaccinated and Florida apparently a hot spot atm for Delta variant.
But hard to see vaccinated players being happy with non-vaccinatedteam mates if they start missing paychecks because games cancelled or play-offs missed.
Non-vaccinated players more likely to get cut and less likely to find new teams.

tisza

NFL preseason games make our football preseason look like the World Cup. Really are awful.
Give it 3-4 years and owners will be pushing for an 18th game and one less preseason game.

Skybluefaz

It's almost back, what do you see for your team? I'm thinking similar to last season for the Seahawks. Not sure we have any more protection for Russ. Maybe Shane Waldron can have a positive influence on the offence? Still don't think there is a Superbowl team there.

Liquid Gold

over .500 would be good for Washington I think, progress on last season. We've got a difficult out of division schedule but a trash division so should be doable. All depends on if we get Fitzmagic or Fitztragic.

There is a core of a really good young exciting team there now though, we just need to get it sorted under centre. I'd take a 9-8 and just missing out on playoffs if we had some blowout wins, lost some games by close margins and put ourselves somewhere to try and draft/trade next offseason.

On a side note I'm really looking forward to seeing the rookie QBs this year. I just feel like there are a few really exciting players and narratives. Lawrence should improve the Jags on his own. I'm not sold on Wilson coming out of a small conference small town school after only having a bump without fans going into the chaos that is the New York media market and the Jets organisation. Lance and Fields look like proper talents to me, if I could have any of them apart from Lawrence it would have been Fields for some reason, but will they get much playing time behind Jimmy G (maybe no) and Dalton (definitely). Jones is a very interesting one as he has the coach and the roster, the criticism of him coming out was that he didn't do anything special just hit his targets when he needed to but isn't that how the Pats have done things for years.

Can't wait.

tisza

Vikings make or break year for the coach and possibly GM. Probably needs a play-off win to survive
Positives - new IDL and Hunter back should make a difference.
Trio of skill players in Jefferson, Thielen & Cook that have to rank amongst best in NFL.

Possible issues - lot of gambles taken on experienced secondary players who may be past their best.
Inexperienced O line missing its 1st round left tackle for the start.
Young, inexperienced OC. Can he open up enough to maximize the skill players?
Negatives- terrible relationship between coach & QB.
Too many unvaccinated players inc QB.
For all the draft picks (38!!!!) over last 3 years seems to be no squad depth. Pre-season was dreadful. GM's fault for poor drafting or coaches fault in not developing them???
Much more difficult schedule than last year.

Could easily go either 12-5 or 5-12.

Season - looking forward to seeing the new QBs. I like Fields & Jones. Going to be interesting to see Lawrence against genuine pass rushers. Wilson got a good coach but got a feeling he could be another Mayfield - "ok but needs a scheme built around him. Could be decent but not elite"
- Stafford at the Rams will be interesting
- for all the money Chiefs spent on offense that defense doesn't look any better than last year (which was bottom 10)
- Cowboys could be a surprise play-off team if Prescott stays fit
- Browns absolutely stacked but is Mayfield good enough to make the most of it?
- NFC looks far more competitive than AFC again. Don't see any team that's going to have a big record.
- Some teams going to suffer from COVID issues again and unlikely to be allowed to postpone this games this season
- How good will the Bucs be? Packers threw away that Championship game. Chiefs had too many injuries in SB. But do have one of those easiest schedules so play-offs still likely.
- Can the Bills finally make SB again?
- How will the Packers go with the internal issues there?

Anyway can't wait. Cowboys-Bucs then Chiefs -Browns an exciting way to start the season. Vikings don't beat Bengals then it could be a long season for them
Had a good fix of college football last weekend - Alabama look loaded again. Their supposed main challengers all seem to have some big flaws.

ccfcrob

Expect to see some progression this year with Lawrence at QB. Lets bloody hope so anyway!

Terry Gibson's perm

Whoever I tip they are in huge trouble looking at my terrible fantasy results in the past an my awful looking teams this time

usskyblue

It’s game time

tampa-bay-buccaneers.gif

BRADY ~ BROWN

austin-powers.gif

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

What an opener.

Brady seems like he’s somehow got better and Dak is bak.

A close finish and it would have been a Cowboys win if they’d taken their field goals.

Users who are viewing this thread