The next step for the Ricoh (2 Viewers)

The Gentleman

Sounds like a trial for festivals in general, maybe the next move will be a bank holiday pop festival with on-site camping, it is certainly a shot across SISU's bows!
Its not clear to me where the campsite will be, you couldn't drive pegs into the car park or pitch with out ruining them, but I guess there are options to provide facilities & charge for them.

Went to see the Foo Fighters at the MK Bowl a couple of years ago and they had 5/6 acts on through the day which gave it that festival type feel. I think the potential for the Ricoh is massive with the right management, maybe that is why Sisu want to get AEG involved. Problem is, ACL are already there and making strides.

blueflint

Who? Name 'em.

various rugby teams hockey teams all play internationals and friendly games at other places than wembley england under 18 under 21 etc thats before we get into more music events any more you need find them yourself

letsallsingtogether

And how many times a year do they have football on in a season?.
That is the point. what people seem to forget is that 2 events a month covers what the football covered, and if the rumours I've heard are true then it is just a matter of time before ACL move on. The poster has some very valid points.

As they are Rumours I will leave it there till I have found out more.

then
Who needs a football club when we can have Christmas parties? Unfortunately, ACL haven't yet realised that they won't have Christmas parties and Olympic football fifty-two weeks a year.

tuousis

And you're no doubt Anne Lucas sitting in the Council House preparing your next "free" rent offer and deciding which third party you'll send it through.
Where the hell did you get that from, when your cronies dont pay the rent for a stadium. Tell them not to pay the rent at Sixfields and they would be finished inside aweek.

CaptainMorgan

The big white "hall" at the NEC, hall 16 if I remember rightly, was erected at the front of halls 6-20 at least 14-15 years ago as a temporary hall. It's still there. How much has been generated through that facility, and how many of those could be put up where a pitch used to be? I'm sure this sort of thing is a consideration for ACL and CCC as they must come to a point when the waiting game stops.

skybluetom

I think it's ccfc or bust for the Ricoh as I have from the beginning. I don't buy the arguement you're gonna fill it with traveling NFL and Rugby matches; how limited are those opportunities in reality? That's assuming there'll be no competition for such events, the Ricoh ain't the only 32,000 seater arena in the country and is far from the best anyway IMO. As for some type of NEC type facility the amount of investment that would be needed in surrounding infrastructure to host events of such size on a regular basis just makes that impractical; having Coldplay and Bruce Springsteen is every five years is one thing, hosting events every week on such a scale is a completely different matter. The council are playing it hard ball publicly as they should as they can't be seen to be bowing down to Sisu but the longer than ground goes being unused the bigger politcal problem it becomes, that's why I suspect at some point Sisu will get their way.

Sky Blues

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/uks-biggest-computer-gaming-festival-6369892

You know what worries me about this article...... it isnt how will ACL survive without CCFC (I tend to believe they can)......... it is that usually at Easter there is one home match for CCFC (swindon 18/04/14 in this case) ...... it couldnt happen now could it ..............this says to me there is no prospect of CCFC back at the Ricoh any time soon - that is what concerns me

Could this be ACL's final attempt to dance with CCFC? Was the "rent free" offer (or whatever it was) a last invitation to waltz before they try to find new partners? Is it a coincidence that this new suitor for Ricoh time emerged this week?

Whatever, it doesn't look like Sisu want to tango - it looks like they would rather freestyle alone.

wingy

Could this be ACL's final attempt to dance with CCFC? Was the "rent free" offer (or whatever it was) a last invitation to waltz before they try to find new partners? Is it a coincidence that this new suitor for Ricoh time emerged this week?

Whatever, it doesn't look like Sisu want to tango - it looks like they would rather freestyle alone.

I think thats why It was delivered to FL ,ITs on record whatever Is said,probably with a view to future legals.

Captain Dart

How many football matches does the revenue from 10K spotty teenagers camping 2 days & buying pizza, pepsi, coffee, lager & chips represent?
That is pretty much a captive audience for 10-20hrs, a football match is done & dusted in 2hrs.

I'd say it covers the income the arena would get from 1/3 of the season alone..

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think it's ccfc or bust for the Ricoh as I have from the beginning. I don't buy the arguement you're gonna fill it with traveling NFL and Rugby matches; how limited are those opportunities in reality? That's assuming there'll be no competition for such events, the Ricoh ain't the only 32,000 seater arena in the country and is far from the best anyway IMO. As for some type of NEC type facility the amount of investment that would be needed in surrounding infrastructure to host events of such size on a regular basis just makes that impractical; having Coldplay and Bruce Springsteen is every five years is one thing, hosting events every week on such a scale is a completely different matter. The council are playing it hard ball publicly as they should as they can't be seen to be bowing down to Sisu but the longer than ground goes being unused the bigger politcal problem it becomes, that's why I suspect at some point Sisu will get their way.

Then I think you fail to understand what is actually going on at the Ricoh. They are not set up on the basis of requiring lots of major concerts/events to make it work. They dont set out to host major events every week. Turnover rather than falling away because CCFC are not there has increased and we are told predicted to be over £13m in the year to 31/05/14. In 2012 Turnover was 7.7m. The bowl itself will have costs but not massive costs, Pitch maintenance (wont need much repair if not used) Painting of the metal works, Concrete doesnt deteriorate quickly - there will be events in the bowl that I would guess cover those costs. The profits can be made elsewhere. It isnt about filling the stadium bowl any more - it is about making the rest of the site sweat

fernandopartridge

Then I think you fail to understand what is actually going on at the Ricoh. They are not set up on the basis of requiring lots of major concerts/events to make it work. They dont set out to host major events every week. Turnover rather than falling away because CCFC are not there has increased and we are told predicted to be over £13m in the year to 31/05/14. In 2012 Turnover was 7.7m. The bowl itself will have costs but not massive costs, Pitch maintenance (wont need much repair if not used) Painting of the metal works, Concrete doesnt deteriorate quickly - there will be events in the bowl that I would guess cover those costs. The profits can be made elsewhere. It isnt about filling the stadium bowl any more - it is about making the rest of the site sweat

Can the ACL lease be split and the bowl offered to CCFC on a leasehold arrangement?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
on paper probably fp ............ however you have to wonder about the practicalities of doing it. The E-on, Yorkshire, Atrium etc etc all become share spaces then that is going to be messy in terms of efficiency of running. The old lease meant the whole site became CCFC's for a set period. Yes you can keep the exhibition halls seperate I suspect hospitality areas would be more difficult - but not saying it couldnt be done. However I think it is pretty clear SISU wants those other incomes too. I doubt that ACL would want to give up the rights to concert/event income from the bowl either

RoboCCFC90

I think your missing the cha cha cha to be honest.

RoboCCFC90

I don't support a private investment fund. I don't support the ACL joint venture company. I'm not in school. I have morals. I admit I do have a vested interest: Coventry City. You won't find me rubbing my groin over every ACL statement as a lot on here seem to do.

I think a lot of people do on this forum..

RoboCCFC90

WTF ! So you weren't happy about the last statement/revelation that we could come home for free ? Is that not what we all want, or do you and CvsF prefer the Sisu statement of NO !

When you say 'Free' can you bare in mind that it's only free for the rest of this season.

Sisu have said they won't go back to the previous tenenacy agreement which helped cripple our club so yes I am happy that's what we are not doing and that Sisu are looking to try and own our stadium.

bigfatronssba

When you say 'Free' can you bare in mind that it's only free for the rest of this season.

Sisu have said they won't go back to the previous tenenacy agreement which helped cripple our club so yes I am happy that's what we are not doing and that Sisu are looking to try and own our stadium.

Ends justify the means?

The Gentleman

Firstly, you never answered my question about wanting to come home to play in Cov, but your last bit of your answer kind of does it for me. Secondly, free is free whichever way you look at it and then 100k for the next 2 years which is cheaper that Sixfields so what do you want exactly, that to me is 3 years, is this not what Sisu wanted in the first place so they can build Legoland. Finally, if and when Sisu get the Ricoh, do you really think it will be OURS, don't be so naive and if and when Sisu do get their grubby little mits on the Ricoh, i bet they don't let us play there for free because was it not Fisher who couldn't answer the question about us renting it and I'll hazard a guess that they will charge us more than 100k to play there. Nice to know that you are HAPPY not to watch Coventry in Coventry. What really make me laugh was that on another thread you said you appreciated his sentiment when he made his shite attempt at explaining things, fucking hell. To me it's like a bloke running over my dog and then saying to me when he gets out, I'm sorry that Mercedes have made my car to fast. Would I turn round and say "I appreciate the sentiment". No is the answer.

steveo1987

Doesn't need to be on the grass though does it for them to still make money. Haven't we seen the Enemy inside and the specials to name a few and bigger acts like Florence and the Machine. They can have the 'big name acts' (as numb nuts calls them as he is obviously into Bon Jovi to class them as big) in the better weather months. I've seen a few good day and night long gigs at MK Bowl and its a fucking nightmare to get to and out of, if they had a couple there and realised how easy access is would it not snowball ? If as we are told by Sisu that they have lined up AEG to run it, does this not show the potential for the stadium considering how big they are ?

Funny that.There were so many casual fans that said it was a nightmare to get to.Well that was the excuse.

SIR ERNIE

Wrong Robbo.

Sisu are looking to try and own their stadium.

We won't have any part of it.

bigfatronssba

Funny that.There were so many casual fans that said it was a nightmare to get to.Well that was the excuse.

Facts and figures suggested otherwise though.

fernandopartridge

To be fair, I like arguing on here but cannot understand for the life of me why a rent free offer wouldn't be taken up, especially as an interim arrangement. It is madness and shows complete disregard for what is best of the club its fans.

RoboCCFC90

Firstly, you never answered my question about wanting to come home to play in Cov, - (I think we would all want that however it's not as simple as your making out to be I am sure) but your last bit of your answer kind of does it for me. Secondly, free is free whichever way you look at it and then 100k for the next 2 years which is cheaper that Sixfields so what do you want exactly, that to me is 3 years, is this not what Sisu wanted in the first place so they can build Legoland. - (Where I grasp your point with this second point of view, with the JR pending why would Sisu start renting the Arena, isn't that contradictive, as I said this situation isn't as simple as black and white.) Finally, if and when Sisu get the Ricoh, do you really think it will be OURS, don't be so naive and if and when Sisu do get their grubby little mits on the Ricoh, i bet they don't let us play there for free because was it not Fisher who couldn't answer the question about us renting it and I'll hazard a guess that they will charge us more than 100k to play there. Nice to know that you are HAPPY not to watch Coventry in Coventry. - (So Sisu would establish a management company to run the Ricoh, isn't this similar to the set up of ACL? Very contradictory that if the club's owners did it, it wouldn't be considered any less than devestating, yet the club has been walked all over by CCCouncil and it's stadium management company for 8 years!!) What really make me laugh was that on another thread you said you appreciated his sentiment when he made his shite attempt at explaining things, fucking hell. To me it's like a bloke running over my dog and then saying to me when he gets out, I'm sorry that Mercedes have made my car to fast. Would I turn round and say "I appreciate the sentiment". No is the answer. - (I am feeling in the spirit of Christmas at the moment and it's all about giving and recieving, as I said I appreciate that he said it, whether he means it only he can decide. If it was my Merc I'd ask why your dog wasn't on a lead near a public road and ask if it was irresponsible not to be so)

fernandopartridge

Renting the Arena as a temporary measure is not contradictory as far as I can see. The case is about what had happened at that point in time.

You might even argue that offering the club to play at the Arena rent free demonstrates that the perceived financial stress of not paying the rent in the first place didn't exist (although tempered by the mortgage arrangement made with the council).

Although I am contradicting myself there.

Last edited:

RoboCCFC90

Wrong Robbo.

Sisu are looking to try and own their stadium.

We won't have any part of it.

Is the setup any different though to ACL and CCCouncil?

bigfatronssba

Renting the Arena as a temporary measure is not contradictory as far as I can see. The case is about what had happened at that point in time.

You might even argue that offering the club to play at the Arena rent free demonstrates that the perceived financial stress of not paying the rent in the first place didn't exist (although tempered by the mortgage arrangement made with the council).

The only way I can see not returning ties in with this is if they win the JR then they can claim for damages.

The Gentleman

Robo, I'm not as adept as you for filling in lines in other peoples sentences. All i am saying is that Sisu had a perfect opportunity to bring us home, build some bridges, be serious about buying the Ricoh and generally doing the decent thing, but no, they chose to basically say fuck off we don't care about anyone but ourselves. How can any CCFC supporter be happy about that. With regards to things being black and white, you do know that sometimes things can be that simple but unfortunately people like Sisu like to muddy the waters for THEIR own benefit and not ours.

RoboCCFC90

Robo, I'm not as adept as you for filling in lines in other peoples sentences. All i am saying is that Sisu had a perfect opportunity to bring us home, build some bridges, be serious about buying the Ricoh and generally doing the decent thing, but no, they chose to basically say fuck off we don't care about anyone but ourselves. How can any CCFC supporter be happy about that. With regards to things being black and white, you do know that sometimes things can be that simple but unfortunately people like Sisu like to muddy the waters for THEIR own benefit and not ours.

I can't understand though Gent why Sisu would take a rental deal at this moment in time now that the Jr has been granted, had it been thrown out again last week, maybe I could of seen a change of heart, but if they win and sue for damages they may have the Council on their knees, I know morally it's wrong, but nothing has been morally right in this farce since day one.

Things can be simple, as I said though I think there is a lot more to this situation then meets the eye, expect over the next few months more information to come to light.

wingy

I can't understand though Gent why Sisu would take a rental deal at this moment in time now that the Jr has been granted, had it been thrown out again last week, maybe I could of seen a change of heart, but if they win and sue for damages they may have the Council on their knees, I know morally it's wrong, but nothing has been morally right in this farce since day one.

Things can be simple, as I said though I think there is a lot more to this situation then meets the eye, expect over the next few months more information to come to light.

How long do you think Its going to run before you can watch them in their home sStadium be It the RICOH or HF2

RoboCCFC90

How long do you think Its going to run before you can watch them in their home sStadium be It the RICOH or HF2

I can't imagine we get a resolution this season, but it'll be after the JR baring in mind there are no appeals.

James Smith

You're talking 4-5 yrs for a resolution through the courts.

Edit; IMO

Which is a very depressing thought.

We need to be back in Coventry ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread