The next 3 games could define our season (1 Viewer)

Otis

Preston away

Sheff Utd away

Crewe at home (JPT).

Surely these 3 games will decide our destiny or certainly go a long way in doing so.

Points at Preston and Sheff U and we really could be cementing our place amongst the play-offs contenders. Lose both and it could be a bitter pill to swallow and knock us back with other teams having games in hand.

And obviously, the Crewe game is as big as we've had for a few years.

3 games and our season could point to glory or mediocrity.

As massive as they get I would have thought.

Otis

I know we've been here before and the same question has been posed, but surely with these three games it has never been so relevant.

These 3 games are massive, especially as contained within them is the most massive of all cup games!!

Paxman II

I agree O to an extent but would have thought that these last two home games having to bounce back from those poor displays in the previous two was the defining moment. We had to get back on the horse quickly and do it at home where confidence has been harder to come by and against the top team and then today. We now sit level in the playoffs and that has defined where we intend to go from here....

In Robins I believe.

stupot07

You're right Otis, especially with most teams around us having 2-3 games in hand. We need at least 2 points out of our next 2 games.

Otis

If we win all of those games, the next 3 are even bigger games.

But the 3 games after that are Yeovil home, Bury away and Crewe at home.

You would have to say that Preston away and Sheff U away and Crewe for a place at Wembley are so much more massive surely.

BackRoomRummermill

Totally agree

It will be the go or no go for the rest of the season. Come through it unbeaten then we have a chance come through it with 3 wins then we are on the way up and maybe right up to the championship

The CableGuy

But the 3 games after that are Yeovil home, Bury away and Crewe at home.

You would have to say that Preston away and Sheff U away and Crewe for a place at Wembley are so much more massive surely.

But every game will become a big game (if it isn't already), if we can keep up this form. For MR to get us into this position after a crap start to the season is unreal. Add the teams with games in hand and we can barely (I believe) afford any slip-ups.

Sure, JPT is fun, but I'd rather have a play-off spot then a trip to Wembley.

Snozz_is_god

If we get

2 points from our next two league games I'll be happy
3 points I'll be pleased
4 points I'll be overjoyed
5 points someone will of added it up wrong
6 points I'll be ecstatic

skybluegod

I don't like the look of our next two away games. Preston well we all know how they play and sheff ute also will need to win that match and are a de ent outfit.

superskyblue

Agree with Otis, they are huge. Personally would rather be in the playoffs than JPT final though so if fatigue is an issue I would prioritise League games and chase that rather than JPT.

Haven't been to a game since MK Dons, are players looking fatigued? Late wins vs Preston and today suggest not compared to our competition...

Snozz_is_god

Agree with Otis, they are huge. Personally would rather be in the playoffs than JPT final though so if fatigue is an issue I would prioritise League games and chase that rather than JPT.

Haven't been to a game since MK Dons, are players looking fatigued? Late wins vs Preston and today suggest not compared to our competition...

I disagree, I think winning the game against Crewe will have a massive affect on moral, basically the players will be on cloud nine, this will translate into confidence on the pitch which will help the league results.

In 1987 after reaching the final on 12th April, we had 8 more league games to play before the end of the season, we only lost one of them.

BurbageSkyBlues

Yup - Each and every game matters from now on in......it becomes a mind game for mental strength!

One game at a time, is not a cliche for nothing...shut everything else out, focus on the 'here and now', what we have to beat today, and the gains made on other teams when we get the three points.

Otis

Me too.

That would be great. We have now started winning at home which is fantastic. 2 draws away followed by home victories would set us up nicely.

I think for the rest of the season there is going to be a rolling "next 3 matches that define our season".

The problem is that they only actually define our season if we don't win them. Winning the next 3 (and that will not be easy) would put us in a great position, but still leave us facing another 3 massive games.

Need to win 2 from 3 from now till the end, but the defining statistic will be our results in the following six pointers;

Sheff Utd away
Yeovil home
Bournemouth away
Swindon home
Doncaster home
On current form Walsall away
Brentford at home
Crawley away.

Yes that is at least 8 x six pointers.

Plus the Cup matches.

Exciting isn't it :p

Last edited:

Flying Fokker

I think the next 19-21 games will define our season.

The other clubs may have something to do with it.

Flying Fokker

I think for the rest of the season there is going to be a rolling "next 3 matches that define our season".

The problem is that they only actually define our season if we don't win them. Winning the next 3 (and that will not be easy) would put us in a great position, but still leave us facing another 3 massive games.

Need to win 2 from 3 from now till the end, but the defining statistic will be our results in the following six pointers;

Sheff Utd away
Yeovil home
Bournemouth away
Swindon home
Doncaster home
On current form Walsall away
Brentford at home
Crawley away.

Yes that is at least 8 x six pointers.

Plus the Cup matches.

Exciting isn't it :p

It makes a change to have potential 6 pointers in the top half of the table. Things seem to be going well now. We have started the second part of the season better than we started the first part. Also better than previous years results as well

BurbageSkyBlues

Just win the game we are playing, and take it from there......

Go into each game asking 'what will three points do for our league position today?' ...... And focus on winning it

SkyBlue_Bear83

Sheffield Utd is a massive game

The play off contenders have games in hand but if we beat the play off contenders it basically wipes out the game in hand

Sky Blues

While it is fine for us to speculate about blocks of three games, I'm glad Robins has got the players focused on the old cliched one game at a time. It's too easy to think "oh, it doesn't matter if we don't win against Sheffield United, we can grab 3 points against Bury" etc. The players need to focus on getting 3 points from every game. It might not always happen and, whether it does or doesn't, they just have to forget about the last result and go again. Over and over. We'll know at the end of the season whether it was enough.

Sheffield United i think we will lose, draw at bets. I just can't see us winning that one. Preston, i think we can get a win there but i would take a draw. Crewe, i think we can beat them 3-1 here and 1-1 there, so its gonna be a tough few games but the lads could suprise us

Black6Osprey

I dont think we can afford to make too many more mistakes this season so its a minimum 4 pts for me in the two league games. Anything less isnt good enough. I think looking at the games in hand,form and points totals Sheff Utd are the most likely team that we can catch. The cup game still isnt that important. Nice if it happens but if it was a choice of 6 points or the cup final I'd go with the 6 pts.

Users who are viewing this thread