The new lad (1 Viewer)

Squelly1987

Hi guys
I don't profess to have any great football knowledge and because I play rugby every sat I don't really get any chance to see the team play but I read this forum and watch all the highlights I can,
And I find it worrying that people are slagging off the new signing in other threads already, the manager even said in the telegraph this week he was hoping to sign him for the development team, but because of injuries he's been thrust into the first team squad straight away, ask yourself these questions before you make your remarks please
How many training sessions has he had ?
Does he speak English ?
When was his last game because matches are different to training ?
Could you do any better ??

If in a years time he's still not great then so be it but come on after 60 mins you're just making your selfs look stupid

elephanttears

If Pressley has signed him he WILL be good, maybe not yet but if he as an inch of potential Pressley will get it out of him. Lets give him time and see

stupot07

Pressley was quite open in his pre match interview about the new lad saying he has the attributes to develop into a good player but needs to work on power and strength. He said he was brought in to be in the development squad and wasn't ready for the first team, but because of circumstances may have to play.

Having said that, I don't think we'll be able to judge him properly until next season. Hopefully we'll bring in another striker even on loan so that the lad can get on with developing.

I imagine a lot of fans wouldn't have heard the interview, so just see a signing and make a judgement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

speedie87

He's def not ready to do a job at the moment from the start of games. We should stick with moussa playing off clarke

ps1948

He didn't get much stick from where I was watching, and yes, we must remember he was making his debut against a (for the time being) higher league team, and replacing the prolific Callum Wilson.
That said, the whole thing changed when moose played off Clarke, and that is how I would start things, with the new lad coming on towards the end to get match fitness and awareness - but I will leave that to the man who knows best!

Sky Blue Kid

What a lot of posters don't take into account is this...Elvis wanted a small squad, yet he is the first to be moaning about having a "Paper thin squad"......Now is this Elvis saying that(Wanting a small squad), or is he being made to say it?...Think about it! SISU will NOT buy a decent player to bring into the team. They will only allow a loanee, or a free. Spells "No ambition" to me.

elephanttears

What a lot of posters don't take into account is this...Elvis wanted a small squad, yet he is the first to be moaning about having a "Paper thin squad"......Now is this Elvis saying that(Wanting a small squad), or is he being made to say it?...Think about it! SISU will NOT buy a decent player to bring into the team. They will only allow a loanee, or a free. Spells "No ambition" to me.

Whats wrong with you, were you bullied at school or something. Just try and be happy. If not end it and stop bringing everyone down with your depressing thoughts.

skybluegod

SP also wanted to add 7-8 players to the squad at the start of the season. He has got 2 in (manset is not wanted anymore) meaning He still doesn't have the squad he wants.

Edit, 3 new players if u include that Scottish CB

SlowerThanPlatt

Rumour on Twitter is that we want to sign Dicko from Wigan on loan but I can't see it happening as you would imagine Championship clubs would be interested.

Sky Blue Kid

@ Elephanttears......What manager do you know that would put up with the s**t that SISU dish out?....Robbins saw it coming and got out before it hit the fan. Elvis has done a fantastic job with the team, but why say one thing yet mean another. He wanted a small squad. Now he's got one he's moaning about it? Hence...I ask is it his decision or SISU's about the size of squad. I'm not moaning, just asking a serious question that IMHO needs answering

Sky Blue Kid

skybluegod..........SP also wanted to add 7-8 players to the squad at the start of the season. He has got 2 in (manset is not wanted anymore) meaning He still doesn't have the squad he wants. Edit, 3 new players if u include that Scottish CB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wasn't it Elvis that got rid of 16 players? or was that Robbins?

Sky Blue Kid

@ elephanttears........Some of us look at the "Bigger Picture" I want to be happy in the "Long Term" not just the immediate future.

woody11462

skybluegod..........SP also wanted to add 7-8 players to the squad at the start of the season. He has got 2 in (manset is not wanted anymore) meaning He still doesn't have the squad he wants. Edit, 3 new players if u include that Scottish CB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wasn't it Elvis that got rid of 16 players? or was that Robbins?

Ok, which of the 16 should he not have let go??? Yes, he did want a smaller squad but with better quality and a chance to bring through youth as well, all on a smaller wage budget.

Sky Blue Kid

@ woody11462...........................Thank you for answering my question...To me that says SISU told him what to do. ;) Quite where the "Better quality" comes into the equation I don't know. Yes! the present squad is a good solid L1 side, but not as some say "The best team in 12-15 years" not by a long way. We beat a team that will be relegated to L1 at the end of this season, and suddenly we're going to win the FA Cup. This team would struggle in the Championship against good teams and would probably get a few hammerings along the way.(We already have this season) All of the predicament we find ourselves in ATM, is down to "Gross Mismanagement" on behalf of SISU. I'll tell you all what I would like for the new year...If SISU stay, then give Elvis some decent money to see what he really can do with the right backing....I won't hold my breath mind!

woody11462

@ woody11462...........................Thank you for answering my question...To me that says SISU told him what to do. ;) Quite where the "Better quality" comes into the equation I don't know. Yes! the present squad is a good solid L1 side, but not as some say "The best team in 12-15 years" not by a long way. We beat a team that will be relegated to L1 at the end of this season, and suddenly we're going to win the FA Cup. This team would struggle in the Championship against good teams and would probably get a few hammerings along the way.(We already have this season) All of the predicament we find ourselves in ATM, is down to "Gross Mismanagement" on behalf of SISU. I'll tell you all what I would like for the new year...If SISU stay, then give Elvis some decent money to see what he really can do with the right backing....I won't hold my breath mind!

Your question was 'Who released 16 players, Pressley or Robins". Well it was Pressley. Yes he did say he wanted a smaller squad and I think this is right. We can't afford to have fringe players on Championsip wages. This also allows you to offer youth players that you want to develop a chance to be in and around the first team, something you see very little of in the top flight. But I wouldn't say he is moaning that we have a small squad, he is saying that with injuries to 'key' players we need to cover for those players. He only brought in a few players pre season and is still looking to add to that. I just felt that to have a dig at him was a little harsh. Of course he is governed by the financial restrictions that SISU have left us in but considering what he has to work with, I think he is doing a sterling job. And Denzel isn't a knee jerk reaction of a signing, he's been on our radar for a while as well as being on trial.

Sky Blue Kid

@ woody11462.....Not seeing the team play this season apart from TV or streaming, I can't pass judgement on the young Dutchman, but reading post match reports and listening to CWR, we seem to get overrun in midfield a lot, which in turn puts added pressure on defence, which inevitably crumbles. Two games that come to mind straight away, Tranmere 5-1 hammering , and Hartlepool 1-1 given a footballing lesson by a L2 outfit....You say...."This also allows you to offer youth players that you want to develop a chance to be in and around the first team".....Very admirable sentiments, but can destroy young players too...AT playing BIGI nearly totally destroyed the boy, and had to leave him out for a while till SISU saw "£" signs and shipped him out to Newcastle(Who incidently treat the kid properly, playing him only now and again to give him experience) A poster said a couple of days ago about Christie not being as good as he or his agent thinks he is...I agree with that 100% Pushed far too early in his career, and not nurtured. There's a hell of a lot of talented youngsters in the squad...I just hope for their sakes that Elvis looks after them better than AT did!

Sky Blue Kid

ccfc_Tom......Stephen Elliot.....................................................................................Top choice Tom.

woody11462

@ woody11462.....Not seeing the team play this season apart from TV or streaming, I can't pass judgement on the young Dutchman, but reading post match reports and listening to CWR, we seem to get overrun in midfield a lot, which in turn puts added pressure on defence, which inevitably crumbles. Two games that come to mind straight away, Tranmere 5-1 hammering , and Hartlepool 1-1 given a footballing lesson by a L2 outfit....You say...."This also allows you to offer youth players that you want to develop a chance to be in and around the first team".....Very admirable sentiments, but can destroy young players too...AT playing BIGI nearly totally destroyed the boy, and had to leave him out for a while till SISU saw "£" signs and shipped him out to Newcastle(Who incidently treat the kid properly, playing him only now and again to give him experience) A poster said a couple of days ago about Christie not being as good as he or his agent thinks he is...I agree with that 100% Pushed far too early in his career, and not nurtured. There's a hell of a lot of talented youngsters in the squad...I just hope for their sakes that Elvis looks after them better than AT did!

I understand you can destroy a young player if played too ften and not reasy but you do the same if they sit in youth/reserve team until they are 21 years old and move on to a lower league club? That is what happens often at bigger clubs than ours. It's either that or loan them out to lower league teams. I also understand that by bringing youth through more means they make their mistakes often in first teams games. But that is the position we are in. Do you think Pressley has mistreated anyone yet or you happy with the job he is doing? I think he is going about things the right way.

Hobo

When you look at our sub bench how many do we actually use? Certain names are regular but never come on. They are making up numbers and are not ready.

But hopefully learning from being involved. Every players different, but they need nurturing.

You get exceptions like Alan Ball and Jonjo Shelvey who seem to cope at 16/17, Mark Hateleys was another.

But it is easy to destroy players. Especially with unrealistic fan expectation. Saying he will score on a debut is one thing, unreasonable slagging off afterwards is another.

Very early days for Slager, give him time to settle and adjust to a new country remember.

Sky Blue Kid

@ woody11462.......Like I've said, I haven't seen any games other than TV or streaming, but Elvis seems to be getting it pretty much right ATM. The only problem I've got with him is letting Elliot and Edje go. Without doubt(In my eyes) Edje being the best CB at the Club by a country mile, and Elliot not really played enough, but scored 2 goals in one match that Jimmy Greaves would have been proud of. A real "Goal Poacher" then unbelieveably was back on the bench the following game! Anyone remember which game it was?

woody11462

@ woody11462.......Like I've said, I haven't seen any games other than TV or streaming, but Elvis seems to be getting it pretty much right ATM. The only problem I've got with him is letting Elliot and Edje go. Without doubt(In my eyes) Edje being the best CB at the Club by a country mile, and Elliot not really played enough, but scored 2 goals in one match that Jimmy Greaves would have been proud of. A real "Goal Poacher" then unbelieveably was back on the bench the following game! Anyone remember which game it was?

They were two decent players from last year but and I don't think you were the only one surprised when the list of players that Pressley was releasing became public knowledge, Edge especially. But looking at results this year he must have seen something that said they just don't fit in to what he wants to do. Results and performances appear to be much better and we're scoring for fun. Even he Barnsley result doesn't feel as big as it should be and that's because of the winning mentality we have this year.

stupot07

Edge left and joined a club struggling in league two, Richard Wood left and joined a team 2 leagues higher. Are you sure that Edge was the better centre back by a country mile?

It was MKdons, but then he made way the mcgoldrick who'd scored a hatful, it wasn't that unbelievable, Elliott is still without a club. He was injured for over half the season, he was right to let him go, we can't afford to pay injury prone players to warm the treatment table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Spagbol

To be fair he did ok. I was watching the warm ups and he didn't know the warm ups and was being told where to go. He also looked very nervous, especially when the SBA were in full voice. He seemed keen and worked hard but tired quickly. Needs a few more run outs to get going. Let's get behind him " he's got moves like slager, moves like slager"

runner

I think that Pressley, like another poster said earlier, knows what he is doing ... he will come good. Unfair to play him straight away, but needs must, so he played. There will be better stuff to come !

skybluegod

Yes he did, players that weren't pulling their weight and players not helping and pulling in the direction he wanted.

letsallsingtogether

To be fair quite a few of us were surprised to see him substituted, he wasn't that bad we never played well enough up front in the first half to see what he could or could not do. To be fair Barton was awful such a big man but what a wuss.

shmmeee

I think that Pressley, like another poster said earlier, knows what he is doing ... he will come good. Unfair to play him straight away, but needs must, so he played. There will be better stuff to come !

To be honest, if there's one area the jury is still out on Pressley for me it's transfers.

Manset gone already
Webster first dropped when cover came in done OK otherwise
Urquhart hardly seen near the first team, Willis and Christie as a CB ahead of him
Then this guy who seems a fair way off as well

Not writing off the two kids, or for that matter Webster, but I haven't seen any proof of a real quality in spotting targets yet. Which is weird as we've generally improved since Waggot came in. Someone said this was another of his, apparently recommended when Bigi went.

Sky Blue Kid

stupot07 "Edge left and joined a club struggling in league two, Richard Wood left and joined a team 2 leagues higher. Are you sure that Edge was the better centre back by a country mile?"........................................I think you're being a tad unfair to "Edje" I don't recollect "Edje" being responsible for 3 "Own Goals" in as many games do you? Not only that, Wood was quite well known, having played for Sheff Wed, whereas "Edje" came here as a unknown player from France. Could be the reason they both ended up where they did eh?

Users who are viewing this thread