The Maatsen Conundrum (1 Viewer)

Skybluedownunder

Now that we have a permanent left back with lots of championship experience and Shipley showing he can step up where needed and getting match fit with a few matches under his belt, Josh Reid who can also play there if those two got injured and Chelsea begging for a left back cover, do we really need him?… Me personally, I’d be saying to Chelsea, here we will terminate the loan for you to help you out now that we have cover but what else have you got for us to help us out and asking for an alternative player in return in a position where we could better do with. He wouldn’t be back to full fitness for a little while yet and that way we could get someone in during the window now who could be ready to go.

The relationship we appear to have with Chelsea could prove to be invaluable in the future and a gesture like this I am sure they’d appreciate seeming as they were willing to pay £3m to cancel the loan of Emerson Palmieri and Lyon said no. Long term this may put us in Chelsea’s good books.

Hypothetically, say we did this… which U23 squad player at Chelsea would you ask for in return and what position do you feel we need someone in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Skybluedownunder

Maatsen is still our best LWB and will be back in the starting XI when fully fit

But could we have someone more valuable to our team in a different position and get in Chelsea’s good books by helping them out too. Long term when we need loans for years to come they may want to send us better players to help them develop

Londonccfcfan

Keep Maatsen Much better attacking option (more pace trickery) than Bidwell when shite teams sit back at CBS ..he will be needed. God to have 2 decent options...long season lotta games to play.

CovBrummie94

But could we have someone more valuable to our team in a different position and get in Chelsea’s good books by helping them out too. Long term when we need loans for years to come they may want to send us better players to help them develop

If Chelsea really wanted Maatsen back he’d be back by now as they’d have paid us a fee to take him. They are clearly happy with his development here and aren’t keen to disrupt that. That will help us when loaning from them in the future.

I don’t see anyone who hasn’t already been loaned out by Chelsea that would be a realistic target of ours and could be as influential as Maatsen.

stay_up_skyblues

Be surprised if we signed Bidwell with all his experience, probably as one of our top earners and on a long contract for him to sit on the bench. I would expect Maatsen to be the back up LWB until/unless Bidwell gets injured or has a stinker.

Skybluedownunder

Billy Gilmour?

I’d take Billy Gilmour in a heartbeat. Isn’t appreciated at Norwich and at least with us he’d play every single minute for the remainder of the season.

Sell Hamer for £5m, play Gilmour… got half a year to plan a replacement and get scouting

Frostie

Chelsea don't want him back. They are happy with his development here & recalled Kenedy from Flamengo instead.

It wouldn't make any sense to take Maatsen back to be 4th choice behind Sarr, Alonso & Kenedy, especially as rumours suggest they're still looking to buy another LB
That's not even taking into account the 18 year old they just signed from Derby.

fernandopartridge

This self-own in the Telegraph was quite funny:

The 19-year-old wing-back has been out with a hamstring injury since the end of December and the subject of much concern that his parent club could want him back in the January transfer window to help provide squad back-up following the serious injury to Ben Chilwell.

The Premier League club do not have a recall option on the player but they could have asked the question and, given the excellent relationship between the two clubs, that would have made for an awkward situation.

long way home

A few weeks ago we were watching Dabo at LWB and although looked injured he also looked uncomfortable in that position. Now im more than happy we have Bidwell, Shipley and now Maatsen back in the squad for the rest of the season. He adds quality and balance which gives MR a problem of a different kind of problem, a good problem and 1 he would prefer than putting square legs in round holes..

We should enjoy watching this kid and come next season wished he was still here.

Users who are viewing this thread