The Killing (1 Viewer)

Otis

Anyone else a fan?

Talking about the US version here, rather than the original. New series just released today, exclusive to Netflix.

I know it's had a bit of criticism from a few people for being slighly slow, but for me I just see it as brooding and atmospheric. It seems to have high ratings on the whole with critics and has won a number of awards.

Anyway, just seen the first episode of Season 4 today and loved it. You can cut the tension with a knife and the performances as ever are top notch.

Anyone else stuck with it? Think it really grows on you and has got better with each series.

stupot07

Yeah I watched it, but only season 1 and 2. Is series 3 and 4 a new story?

I enjoyed it.

Otis

Yep, new story each series.

It's on Netflix if you've got it.

Only first 2 seasons related to that one story, series 3 and 4 have been completely new tales. I really like it. It really cranks up the tension and the music is brilliant too.

Recommended.

wingy

Yep, new story each series.

It's on Netflix if you've got it.

Only first 2 seasons related to that one story, series 3 and 4 have been completely new tales. I really like it. It really cranks up the tension and the music is brilliant too.

Recommended.
Tried It early on Otis ,but found It truncated when compared to the original.

I just can't buy Into It without the Dim grey daylight and scenery the original Inspires In atmosphere ,then there Is the lack of foreign language and subtitles .

I guess the problem Is with me rather than the product.

Otis

I would give this 4th series a whirl Wingy. It has all the greyness and dullness, the blank back drops and the numbness and the emptiness. The atmosphere is electrifying and the performances for the two main leads, superb.

Just on the second episode of series 4 now and I think this will be the best. Won't give too much away, but Linden and Holder are hiding a dark secret and you can feel their jumpiness in every single scene.

Definitely recommend it to anyone who likes a tense and broody atmospheric thriller.

wingy

I would give this 4th series a whirl Wingy. It has all the greyness and dullness, the blank back drops and the numbness and the emptiness. The atmosphere is electrifying and the performances for the two main leads, superb.

Just on the second episode of series 4 now and I think this will be the best. Won't give too much away, but Linden and Holder are hiding a dark secret and you can feel their jumpiness in every single scene.

Definitely recommend it to anyone who likes a tense and broody atmospheric thriller.

Will do Otis ,how does It work on Netflix ,have It with virgin ,Is It like on demand with catch up etc?

stupot07

Did you watch The Bridge?

I must admit I hadn't seen the original The Killing so had nothing to compare it to. Mireille Enos was brilliant in it.

wingy

The great thing with the Original killing was It was over twenty Episodes ,shown In double helpings ,so you got a good dose of the story each time and It's length let them really explore and develop the characters IMO.

Nick

Administrator
Never really watched this, would this be similar to Fargo? Thing is with these if they don't get me hooked within 2 episodes I won't bother!

Otis

Never really watched this, would this be similar to Fargo? Thing is with these if they don't get me hooked within 2 episodes I won't bother!

Well Fargo had the dark humour. Would say The Killing is just dark with little or no humour to be had whatsoever.

If you go on Netflix, Wingy (204 on Virgin) the series and episodes are up there for you to watch whenever. Series 4 was released today and they have put all 6 episodes up there so you can watch them back to back, which is precisely what I am doing right now.

Otis

Funny isn't it, just been checking the reviews for series 4 and they are on the whole, not good.

First two series got much higher ratings, but I feel this final series is the best. Quite often critics and viewers don't agree and sometimes it is just down to people wanting dumb ass, brain dead. popcorn entertainment such as Transformers, but other times I do't think critics are not quite in tune.

This latest series of The Killing only has a rating of 40% amongst critics, yet 80% amongst viewers and this trust me, is not dumb ass popcorn enterntainment. It's broody, dark, edgy.

Now up to episode 5 and though I thought the 3rd episode a little underwhelming, the other 4 in the series have been top notch.

Best way to watch things like this I think, back to back, all in one go. I did the same with Breaking Bad.

stupot07

Yeah, I watched a lot of the early 24 back to back, I'd watched 3-4 episodes a night, much better yah waiting a week for the next instalment. I've still got 6 episodes of Fargo and 8 episodes of Hannibal waiting to be watched.

And agree about critics, they've often watched a different programme to me.

Otis

Yeah, I watched a lot of the early 24 back to back, I'd watched 3-4 episodes a night, much better yah waiting a week for the next instalment. I've still got 6 episodes of Fargo and 8 episodes of Hannibal waiting to be watched.

And agree about critics, they've often watched a different programme to me.

You still not watched all of Fargo? :eek:

Get on it now! :)

As for 24? I watched the series first time one week at a time, but sometime last year I watched all 8 series back to back. Took me 2 and a half weeks, but you get so much more immersed into it don't you and you're carried by the wave of emotion and feeling.

As most of the time with these types of series (Breaking Bad, Homeland, Fargo etc.) the next episode is immediate so it makes perfect sense to watch one straight after the other.

Now on the final episode of series 4 of The Killing. Just don't get this 40%. I am really, really liking this one immensely.

Otis

May have spoken a little too soon.

Just watched the final episode and it was a crock. Thought I'd better warn everyone.

Blown the thing with the pointless 10 minute Hollywood-esque ending rather than just walking away and a most ridiculously played out scene with the mayor.

Some great stuff in the series and as I've already said, the performances are nothing short of outstanding. Shame they messed up the last ever episode to leave a slightly unpleasant taste in your mouth. Surprisingly enough, they actually brought in Jonathan Demme to direct this final episode and he has great pedigree, having directed the Silence of the Lambs and Philadelphia.

Oh well. Be interested to see what other people think anyway.

Otis

Would agree with that.

Breaking Bad right at the top of my list. Loved the new Fargo series too. Both must watch TV.

Otis

Ahh, Sky Atlantic, that's why.

With Virgin and you don't get Sky Atlantic unfortunately. There's a number of Atlantic shows I would like to see.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I've still got Fargo on my external hard drive. Still not watched it. Prison Break not watched either, although Iv'e had them both for ages.

stupot07

Ahh, Sky Atlantic, that's why.

With Virgin and you don't get Sky Atlantic unfortunately. There's a number of Atlantic shows I would like to see.

We've recently switched to virgin. How complicated is the box????? I hate it, the sky box was far simpler to use!!!

Otis

Tivo box?

I find it easy enough, but it's not the all singing all dancing thing they make it out to be. They sold the idea to me as if it was something wonderous!

stupot07

Tivo box?

I find it easy enough, but it's not the all singing all dancing thing they make it out to be. They sold the idea to me as if it was something wonderous!

Did you have a Sky Plus box before it? It's things as simple as 'my shows' then having to go back to another menu to look at what's planned for recording, where as on sky, it's all on one list.

Otis

Nope. Never had a Sky Plus box.

Might explain a lot. Yep, that is annoying having to go to a different menu to look at what you have planned to record. Definitely could be better.

Users who are viewing this thread