The Injured (1 Viewer)

stupot07

You are a joker, Platt might be old, but hardly exp'd at Champ level! Ball imo, is a better player and the fact a lot of Derby fans wanted him to stay shows that and last time I checked, Derby are a league above us?

P.s. there is a reason Platt has joined a L2 side who came 20th last season!

Go back and re read. The point was made about experience not whether they were shit.

You discounted Platt because he's shit and hence compared an experienced player in (Elliot) with a novice (Nimely) - and the comparison was made in terms of their experience not ability.

Oh and why is Platt at Northampton?? Because he REJECTED an offer from us for another year or more security of a 2 year deal. We wanted to keep him.

ccfcway

and cause Boothroyd is there,

If Boothroyd was at Man City he would have signed Platt as a "plan B"

Mucca Mad Boys

Go back and re read. The point was made about experience not whether they were shit.

You discounted Platt because he's shit and hence compared an experienced player in (Elliot) with a novice (Nimely) - and the comparison was made in terms of their experience not ability.

Oh and why is Platt at Northampton?? Because he REJECTED an offer from us for another year or more security of a 2 year deal. We wanted to keep him.

Ok fine, I'll compare Platt to Elliott, Platt, NO Int'l experience, no prem experience to int'l exp from U17s to seniors to playing in prem with Sunderland... You had to go there didn't you :jerkit::claping hands:

ccfcway

you say Tomato, I say Tomato

you say Potato, I say Potato

you say Platt is experineced, I say he was sh1te

stupot07

Ok fine, I'll compare Platt to Elliott, Platt, NO Int'l experience, no prem experience to int'l exp from U17s to seniors to playing in prem with Sunderland... You had to go there didn't you :jerkit::claping hands:

ROD played in more games in the PL than Elliot. Yeah he played 9 times for for Ireland, great lets crack out the champagne - Norwood is only 3 international caps behind him.

Elliot has made approx 240 career appearances - Platt has made just shy of 600 career appearances and knows league one very well. This is experience that AT wanted, that's why we offered him a contract.
:jerkit::claping hands:

Grendel

However if you were say a fan of Derby County and were offered Ball or Platt a years deal who would you take?

He didn't sign and that I believe is a good thing.

Astute

Maybe AT wanted to keep Platt just in case we didn't make the signings we have. How many of us expected to make so many?

Nonleagueherewecome

However if you were say a fan of Derby County and were offered Ball or Platt a years deal who would you take?

He didn't sign and that I believe is a good thing.

That's not fair, I had to watch Platt all last season: as long as Ball has breath in him, he'd win that face-off, even though I've seen him play only once and was most un-impressed!

Mucca Mad Boys

ROD played in more games in the PL than Elliot. Yeah he played 9 times for for Ireland, great lets crack out the champagne - Norwood is only 3 international caps behind him.

Elliot has made approx 240 career appearances - Platt has made just shy of 600 career appearances and knows league one very well. This is experience that AT wanted, that's why we offered him a contract.

Elliott struggled with injury when Sunderland and Wolves were in the prem whereas Platt has been mediocre at best! There's a reason he knows L1 well! Hint: It's because he's shit!

As for ROD, I'd still have him in the team over Platt!

Nonleagueherewecome

All the same, if you are talking experience, this is black and white:

Elliott-143 games (81 sub), 46 goals.
Platt-469 games (102 sub), 83 goals.

Claiming Elliott is more experienced due to his higher level of play is like saying a very promising young striker with one England cap is more experienced than a L1 striker with 200 career goals who has never played in the Premiership. Experience brings know-how, understanding, leadership and communication (all strengths of Platt, for his limits), and there is no doubt that Platt had more of them than Ball-or Elliott-does.

Astute

We are looking at signing a striker. Not fit enough to play more than once a week. He has averaged about 7 goals a season, and most of that was at a level lower than we are. Should we sign him?

You are right. Would be mad to eant him or think he is good enough for us. Why try and make out Platt is good enough or that we haven't signed better?

Mucca Mad Boys

All the same, if you are talking experience, this is black and white:

Elliott-143 games (81 sub), 46 goals.
Platt-469 games (102 sub), 83 goals.

Claiming Elliott is more experienced due to his higher level of play is like saying a very promising young striker with one England cap is more experienced than a L1 striker with 200 career goals who has never played in the Premiership. Experience brings know-how, understanding, leadership and communication (all strengths of Platt, for his limits), and there is no doubt that Platt had more of them than Ball-or Elliott-does.

So we lacked a leader last year when Platt was here, when he goes... He's a leader!? He is not a leader, he does not have good communicational skills, he , certainly does not have know-how when it comes to scoring!

Ball is 19, scored same amount than Platt last year in less games, so experienced never mattered then...

Elliott clearly has/had the quality to be a decent champ striker if it weren't for injury whereas Platt has been mediorce ALL his career!

Also, to those fans saying we need a 20+ goal a year striker but wanting to keep Platt? ...

Platt had 1 assist last year so don't even claim he links play! When was the last time he scored more than 10 goals in a season?

Platt does not have experience in getting teams promoted, only mediorcracy, not what we want this year!

Nonleagueherewecome

But a team full of teenagers would not fare better than one with some experienced players. I'm not praising Platt at all. I'm just saying he has more experience than Ball or Elliott, and that experience does have some value.

Mucca Mad Boys

It does, but it counts for nothing if you are simply terrible i.e. Platt

Elliott has more experience in winning at a higher level and I'd rather him to nurture talent than Platt any day of the week!

Grendel

It does, but it counts for nothing if you are simply terrible i.e. Platt

Elliott has more experience in winning at a higher level and I'd rather him to nurture talent than Platt any day of the week!

Imagine the outcry if we announced a new signing as a 35 year old journeyman from the lower leagues to spearhead our front line.

ccfcway

legendary day, that post "Whos Clive Platt, he's in the team photo" on GMK

not too many people believed that !

Grendel

Nonleagueherewecome

Well, we had a squad then..

Mucca Mad Boys

Imagine the outcry if we announced a new signing as a 35 year old journeyman from the lower leagues to spearhead our front line.

I agree, Platt is embarresingly bad, to the point where his 'experience' means * all!

I genuinely think Elliott could be a good signing.

Nonleagueherewecome

My point is more about the squad/team as a whole's experience. Platt probably offered more in the dressing room than he did on the pitch. Nothing lewd insinuated :)

johnwillomagic

Nice decoy from some people in other camp when proven wrong to turn into a is Platt good or not debate. No-one has tackled my point that our squad numbers are healthy for league 1, amongst the strongest in the league no doubt.

I can only assume no squads with more in terms of quality, numbers and depth have been found? :whistle:

Looking forward to all this nonsense subsiding a bit anyhow and seeing the season kick off against Dagenham! PUSB

Nonleagueherewecome

I wasn't debating whether Platt was good, I just said he had experience, and a side/squad needs that. I include "experience in/adaptability to a foreign league" as an important factor that will be tested with our squad. We don't know yet how the overseas signings will fare, or whether they are capable of adapting.

johnwillomagic

Ok like for like then in terms of Age & experience......Platt out Kilbane in........whose career stats make for better viewing?

Grendel

The 2 centre halves are huge unknowns but given that they will I assume earn the wage at least of an average League 1 centre half and one was on trial over here before receiving the nod that they will be good enough. Especially as the manager is a centre half
The squad is much stronger and much better equipped than last season.
If McDonald stays fit the manager believes he will be the leagues top scorer so thats 25 goals.
If we sign Jennings and the other guy we will compared to most teams have strength in depth.
We are equipped for promotion.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Clive Platt has the experience of being relegated three times with MK Dons, Colchester and Coventry. Clive Platt has never been promoted at a club in his career

Nonleagueherewecome

The 2 centre halves are huge unknowns but given that they will I assume earn the wage at least of an average League 1 centre half and one was on trial over here before receiving the nod that they will be good enough. Especially as the manager is a centre half
The squad is much stronger and much better equipped than last season.
If McDonald stays fit the manager believes he will be the leagues top scorer so thats 25 goals.
If we sign Jennings and the other guy we will compared to most teams have strength in depth.
We are equipped for promotion.

Easy there, you're not crediting him with being able to spot a good CB, are you?! Oh, hang on, this is that "sarcasm" stuff, isn't it? You had me there for a second :(

dongonzalos

Nice decoy from some people in other camp when proven wrong to turn into a is Platt good or not debate. No-one has tackled my point that our squad numbers are healthy for league 1, amongst the strongest in the league no doubt.

I can only assume no squads with more in terms of quality, numbers and depth have been found? :whistle:

Looking forward to all this nonsense subsiding a bit anyhow and seeing the season kick off against Dagenham! PUSB

For me that is more of a case of knowing a lot about coventry city players and their strengths and weaknesses and not really knowing anything about the other squads. I could not tell you whose is strong it weak as I don't know enough about their squads.

Users who are viewing this thread