The Hundred (1 Viewer)

Covstu

see that it is getting a lot of flak from the cricket purists on radio, websites etc. Don’t think they have helped themselves with the crisp sponsorships which was just weird and the kits are very loud, Birmingham’s looks like a fruit salad wrapper!

I am mixed about it to be honest, pleased it is on terrestrial TV so will get some good coverage and there isn’t a better time to build this up straight after the World Cup. I love test cricket over everything but it needs some proper reform so maybe the ECB could have spent more energy on looking at that format rather than creating a new one?
Must admit I am mixed about it, I will certainly watch it and go to any game at edgbaston if it’s reasonably priced.

Any thoughts?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Horrible idea, the only hope is they have to rebrand the B bears back into Warwickshire Bears as it should be

They're called Birmingham Phoenix. Supposed to be city-based teams (even though there's a team called Southern, one called Northern and another called Welsh which kind of defeats the purpose).

chiefdave

They're called Birmingham Phoenix. Supposed to be city-based teams (even though there's a team called Southern, one called Northern and another called Welsh which kind of defeats the purpose).
The whole thing is a shambles. The ECB don't seem to know who their target market is.

When it was first announced they claimed there was an audience of people who don't normally watch cricket as its too long who would suddenly all turn up if T20 games were 20 balls shorter.

Having said its not something aimed at existing fans they've done all their marketing to exiting fans. They claim the new teams are separate to the current counties yet have those counties tweeting out about their nearest team. It's supposed to be regional but you have teams named after cities. Why is any Worcester fan going to come and support a Birmingham team. Even worse the Birmingham Women will be playing at New Road, how many people are they expecting to turn up for that? That's before you even consider there's two Birmingham teams now, hopefully this means the Bears go back to being Warwickshire.

The logos and kits are terrible. The draft is a mess. Drafting England players who won't be able to play most of the games and rigging the draft so they mostly go their 'home' team.

The fixture calendar is now so congested you'll have The Hundred games going on at the same time as country games. Warwickshire are planning to move their county games to the training ground next to Edgbaston so Birmingham Phoenix can play their games.

The only positive is cricket on terrestrial tv but even that could be counter productive if they're showing games in empty grounds. Would be much better moving some of the existing T20 games to terrestrial. You'd have to get Sky onside but it would basically be free advertising for something they show. Sweeten the deal by changing the schedule so the centrally contracts players are available for T20 games and everyone would be happy.

Brighton Sky Blue

The names and logos were made up on the back of a fag packet. Could only have been better with ‘Northern Powerhouse’ and ‘Midlands Engine’

tisza

Stupid concept.
maybe they figure it's cheaper than getting sides to invest in star 20/20 talent to improve that competition.
If it's about improved commercial incomes then improve the 20/20 appeal.
i fail to see that there is enough differences between this and 20/20 to make it more appealling to the public.
As stated the one saving grace is terrestrial TV but again surely allowing Sky to pick the top 20/20 games and allowing BBC to screen some other 20/20 fixtures could achieve the same effect.

Users who are viewing this thread