the housing market (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Random question: anyone know how hard it is to buy land off the council (Nuneaton & Bedworth before they jokes start)? There’s some scrub land behind the house that looks like it used to have garages on it, I’d love to buy a chunk of it and extend the garden.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Can't answer the question I'm afraid but will need to do the searches first etc to make sure there's no rights of way or anything on it. No point trying to extend the garden if any Tom Dick or Harry can walk around it. Also check it is council land, not private. When you say garages are they ones that were used by the houses there and could be accessed by an entry? If so that land may be owned by the properties anyway, but can't be turned into extended gardens because it inhibits access further down the entry.

shmmeee

Can't answer the question I'm afraid but will need to do the searches first etc to make sure there's no rights of way or anything on it. No point trying to extend the garden if any Tom Dick or Harry can walk around it. Also check it is council land, not private. When you say garages are they ones that were used by the houses there and could be accessed by an entry? If so that land may be owned by the properties anyway, but can't be turned into extended gardens because it inhibits access further down the entry.

It’s owned by the council. It’s scrub land but it looks like concrete bases for garages are there. There’s no right of way but there is access. They could possibly build on it, but me and my neighbour would complain if they put a block of flats at the bottom of the garden. I just want the corner so they could sell and still develop I reckon.

Ive emailed them and will see what happens. As I’ve always said my understanding is buying from the council is about the hardest land purchase you can make so not getting my hopes up.

NorthernWisdom

It’s owned by the council. It’s scrub land but it looks like concrete bases for garages are there. There’s no right of way but there is access. They could possibly build on it, but me and my neighbour would complain if they put a block of flats at the bottom of the garden. I just want the corner so they could sell and still develop I reckon.

Ive emailed them and will see what happens. As I’ve always said my understanding is buying from the council is about the hardest land purchase you can make so not getting my hopes up.
Think it depends on their policies at the time, too.

fernandopartridge

They're waiting for a displaced family from London to make an offer first

Winny the Bish

Looking at buying my first house next year. Currently renting and our contract runs out in April...9 days after the stamp duty reduction ends. Cheers.

But fuck me is this all intimidating. Our budget is £345k max and trying to find a house me and the gf like, that you could raise a family in, near where we currently are in Kent yet still close enough for me to travel to London for work is an absolute nightmare. Seems like my two options are: hour and a half commute one way to work every day, or small terraced house in shady area.

fernandopartridge

Looking at buying my first house next year. Currently renting and our contract runs out in April...9 days after the stamp duty reduction ends. Cheers.

But fuck me is this all intimidating. Our budget is £345k max and trying to find a house me and the gf like, that you could raise a family in, near where we currently are in Kent yet still close enough for me to travel to London for work is an absolute nightmare. Seems like my two options are: hour and a half commute one way to work every day, or small terraced house in shady area.

You can buy your house earlier, you don't need to move in when you complete.

£345k, London and the South East is ridiculous

Winny the Bish

tbf if that's the budget for your first house, it suggests living there also helps your salary.

That, or you have generous parents ;)
It's mostly inheritance/gifts from grandparents and a little bit of money I've scrimped together. But it's not enough to make this an easy process sadly.

shmmeee

Honestly with that budget I’d move out of the South East. You’d live like kings anywhere else in the country.

Users who are viewing this thread