The Ground Deal (2 Viewers)

bigfatronssba

No. It was not. The assets had transferred by the time the loan was discharged. The bond issue was May 2015.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

We’re not talking about the bond. We’re talking about the £14m that ACL owed to CCC

Grendel

Ive heard of Great Man theory of history, you must be the first Shit Man theorist I’ve come across.

The price wasps paid was £5.6 million - you just don’t understand for some reason that rather basic fact. Not £19 million but £5.6 million. It’s a fact. Richardson used the leverage of the grounds valuation to borrow against it to get his money back. Another fact

fernandopartridge

bigfatronssba

Yes, so it was well after the sale of the shares in ACL, ergo was not part of the deal.

They wouldn’t have paid it if they didn’t have to.

ACL was sold with the debt.

DazzleTommyDazzle

When buying a company, the buyer will have a net price that they’re prepared to pay for it. That price will include any debt they take on as part of the transaction.

Companies are often sold on a debt free basis, i.e. the selling company will settle any debts before, or at the time of the transaction.

If debt is left in the company post sale, then the buyer will reduce the price they pay to the seller accordingly.

skybluetony176

Yes, so it was well after the sale of the shares in ACL, ergo was not part of the deal.

Taking on the debt was obviously part of the deal. Otherwise why would they have used the bond money to pay it off? Unless you’re suggesting it was some sort of “charitable” donation to the council that just happened to be equal to the debt I’m not sure what point it is you think you’re making.

skybluetony176

Yes. The deal included no obligation to pay the debt off.

Of course it did. Stop being ridiculous. It didn’t have an obligation to pay it off early but they brought it with a payment plan. Many on here were complaining that they paid it off early because it robbed the taxpayer of the interest payments.

fernandopartridge

Of course it did. Stop being ridiculous. It didn’t have an obligation to pay it off early but they brought it with a payment plan. Many on here were complaining that they paid it off early because it robbed the taxpayer of the interest payments.
Sorry, no obligation to pay it off as part of the price paid. I don't know how many times this needs to be explained. It bought the shares and their assets and liabilities. The deal was not contingent on the debt being settled through the bond issue

chiefdave

I feel like I've stepped back in time in this thread, why are we going on about this again?

Not sure why anyone would count the debt as paid, let alone part of the sale price Wasps paid. They refinanced and then when the time came to pay up on that refinancing they couldn't and went bust

Grendel

Sorry, no obligation to pay it off as part of the price paid. I don't know how many times this needs to be explained. It bought the shares and their assets and liabilities. The deal was not contingent on the debt being settled through the bond issue

yep

skybluetony176

You’ve just said it yourself, they brought the liabilities. I’ve not said it was contingent being repaid though the bond issue. But the liability they brought had a commitment to pay it back. It’s just ridiculous to say otherwise.

oldfiver

it was sold for £5.6m not £19m

Incorrect

WASPS did not buy the Arena per se - they bought the shares of the company that owned the Arena

On the revaluation and subsequent refinancing ACL paid off the CCC debt

The WASPS Group paid £19m in total

All a play on words!

fernandopartridge

You’ve just said it yourself, they brought the liabilities. I’ve not said it was contingent being repaid though the bond issue. But the liability they brought had a commitment to pay it back. It’s just ridiculous to say otherwise.
Not really. They did only insofar as they bought ACL's obligation. The key point is that the deal for the shares in ACL could not have been rescinded if they decided not to pay it at all.

Grendel

Not really. They did only insofar as they bought ACL's obligation. The key point is that the deal for the shares in ACL could not have been rescinded if they decided not to pay it at all.

indeed

DazzleTommyDazzle

But they could have been sued for payment and in the event of non payment wound up. Then they would no longer own the shares.

bigfatronssba

Yes. The deal included no obligation to pay the debt off.

So Wasps gave the city of Coventry £14m out of the goodness of their hearts?

Why the hell do we hate them then?

According to you lot Derek Richardson is the greatest benefactor to Coventry since John Gulson.

Robinson deserves a statue. What a wonderful man.

fernandopartridge

So Wasps gave the city of Coventry £14m out of the goodness of their hearts?

Why the hell do we hate them then?

According to you lot Derek Richardson is the greatest benefactor to Coventry since John Gulson.

Robinson deserves a statue. What a wonderful man.

Where have I said that you

bigfatronssba

Where have I said that you

Well they were either paying down a debt they legally owed or it was a generous donation to the city treasury.

Which was it ?

bigfatronssba

The debt arose specifically from the deal that they signed.

Its amazing how many people think you can buy a business up to its eyeballs in debt but that debt suddenly disappears the second the ownership changes

bigfatronssba

Nobody has said that you utter clown

There's no need to resort to name calling is there?

Also there has been at least one post saying that as new owners they weren't liable for the debt

fernandopartridge

Its amazing how many people think you can buy a business up to its eyeballs in debt but that debt suddenly disappears the second the ownership changes
Christ you are beyond thick.

The deal to buy the shares in ACL and thus the leasehold on the Arena did not include any specific obligation to immediately repay the loan to CCC. This is a demonstrable fact given that ACL only raised the finance (secured against the ACL assets they'd purchased) to discharge the loan some months AFTER they had the shares in ACL. They chose to repay the loan early rather than over its full term.

bigfatronssba

Christ you are beyond thick.

The deal to buy the shares in ACL and thus the leasehold on the Arena did not include any specific obligation to immediately repay the loan to CCC. This is a demonstrable fact given that ACL only raised the finance (secured against the ACL assets they'd purchased) to discharge the loan some months AFTER they had the shares in ACL. They chose to repay the loan early rather than over its full term.

No one is saying it had to be repaid immediately.

What they are saying is that it had to be repaid, either immediately, within the 50 years previously agreed, or somewhere in between.

Either way it had to be repaid. Do you understand now? ACL had a debt of £14m that Wasps became liable for as ACL owners

Users who are viewing this thread