The grass was not greener (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Ian Wallace. City superstar and all time legend.

Never hit the same heights at Forest.

No evidence from memory that Ian wanted to move; I guess we needed the cash. I remember he came back to watch a game at HR a few months after he left, hero's welcome in the Main Stand.

Wallace was top scorer for forest for 3 years and pretty popular with the fans

Grendel

Exactly. And this is something in contrast that I really admire about Robins and his team. Totally professional in planning ahead and consistently improving the team through well-judged recruitment. Like every team they don't get all new recruits 100% right but the success rate is very high.

He was sold just before the season started and without the managers knowledge so it’s not the same is it - the manager had to buy quick

Mcbean

I hear what you are saying McBean but not entirely sure on these three.

Bright - he's a real talent, young and has plenty of time left to have a very decent career (10 Bags Bayliss called him the best player he'd ever been on a pitch with)

McNulty - financially I bet he's done well by leaving us and most likely will have a decent top flight career in the Scottish top flight.

Burge - never asked for a move and was clearly told to look elsewhere. In that situation being on the bench for one of the biggest clubs (like it or not) in the same League is not the worst outcome.
Yes agree about Burge - good move for us letting him go is an understatement

I just thought your original post about the grass being greener - McNulty could have stayed but his agent put him into Reading - definitely not greener than being with us hopefully getting into the championship- same with Bright - went and sat on the bench - we could get him on the way up

DannyThomas_1981

Yes agree about Burge - good move for us letting him go is an understatement

I just thought your original post about the grass being greener - McNulty could have stayed but his agent put him into Reading - definitely not greener than being with us hopefully getting into the championship- same with Bright - went and sat on the bench - we could get him on the way up

Fair points McBean.

DannyThomas_1981

He was sold just before the season started and without the managers knowledge so it’s not the same is it - the manager had to buy quick

I certainly see that argument Grendel. Although I do also remember a lot of speculation about McSheffrey's sale before it happened.
I truly believe for what it's worth that in a similar situation that Robins and team would have a Plan B and C ready to go and would not rush into additions to the squad without a great deal of research. Not that they get it right every time - no management team ever does but they have a very high strike rate.

DannyThomas_1981

Wallace was top scorer for forest for 3 years and pretty popular with the fans

I hear that.

Not saying the move was a disaster but at Forest but I think Ian's strike rate was around 1 in 3 there vs. closer to 1 in 2 for us. I think he got off to a slow start at Forest as well (but that's just my memory).

So from a superstar for us he moved down to being pretty popular for Forest as you say.

Grendel

I certainly see that argument Grendel. Although I do also remember a lot of speculation about McSheffrey's sale before it happened.
I truly believe for what it's worth that in a similar situation that Robins and team would have a Plan B and C ready to go and would not rush into additions to the squad without a great deal of research. Not that they get it right every time - no management team ever does but they have a very high strike rate.

Mcginnity was notorious for that sort of thing. It would have been like him selling Godden in January and not telling the manager. As Peter Reid was famously asking where Callum Davenport was and was going to fine him only to be told by Mcginnity - “he’s gone Peter - he’s having a medical”

Grendel

I hear that.

Not saying the move was a disaster but at Forest but I think Ian's strike rate was around 1 in 3 there vs. closer to 1 in 2 for us. I think he got off to a slow start at Forest as well (but that's just my memory).

So from a superstar for us he moved down to being pretty popular for Forest as you say.

Ferguson was the one whose career really bombed

Brighton Sky Blue

Maddison-Got a bank balance too big for his screen

Wilson-Got a cold from being on the coast

Jordan Henderson-Got sore arms holding the CL trophy

Adge

In hindsight that was a terrible deal for the club. We had just finished the previous season well in 8th and announced operation Premiership in the summer. McSheffrey was sold got Blues promoted finishing top scorer and we finished 17th with our replacements Kyle and McKenzie
Not sure he done it on his own-Seb Larsson. Cameron Jerome, Stephen Carr, Liam Ridgewell, Lee Bowyer, Kevin Phillips et al.......

SlowerThanPlatt

Not sure he done it on his own-Seb Larsson. Cameron Jerome, Stephen Carr, Liam Ridgewell, Lee Bowyer, Kevin Phillips et al.......

He got 14 goals and 21 assists that season and got named in the team of the season.

Ridgewell, Bowyer, Phillips and Carr didn’t play a single game for Blues that season partly because they were at other clubs. Bowyer didn’t join Blues until 2009!

Adge

He got 14 goals and 21 assists that season and got named in the team of the season.

Ridgewell, Bowyer, Phillips and Carr didn’t play a single game for Blues that season partly because they were at other clubs. Bowyer didn’t join Blues until 2009!
Didn’t he? Jeez-thought he was there then-my mistake.

DannyThomas_1981

Mcginnity was notorious for that sort of thing. It would have been like him selling Godden in January and not telling the manager. As Peter Reid was famously asking where Callum Davenport was and was going to fine him only to be told by Mcginnity - “he’s gone Peter - he’s having a medical”

I think we can all agree that McGinnity was a total disaster. The appointment of Reid was one of many awful decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread