The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (26 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clint van damme

What fly to the US via Dublin & add an hr or two. This is a favourite German pass time is it? Thought Germans were supposed to be efficient?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

you haven't included the whole itinerary there. A lot of people then fly back to London and get the plane to the States from there! Seems like a lot of effort to me though I know people that do it whenever they go to the States.

fernandopartridge

you haven't included the whole itinerary there. A lot of people then fly back to London and get the plane to the States from there! Seems like a lot of effort to me though I know people that do it whenever they go to the States.

Yeah, better value to go via London some of the time as the frequency of flights from Heathrow to the US is far higher. Other national airlines around Europe do similar through their hubs. I came back from NYC to Manchester via Iceland, the journey was at most an hour longer but excellent value, Premium Economy for Economy price.

eastwoodsdustman

Construction sector.
Not a good sign as one of the economic barometers.
Jaguar hesitating over investment, not a good sign for this City .

I think Jaguars production has been slowing down for a while. Not sure Brexit is the main reason though. On the plus side though, I don't think they'll want to pay too much to have full naming rights at the Arena.

wingy

I think Jaguars production has been slowing down for a while. Not sure Brexit is the main reason though. On the plus side though, I don't think they'll want to pay too much to have full naming rights at the Arena.
The head honcho at the Geneva Motor Show referenced the lack of clarity .
However I feel the Govt comments on deisel have harmed their product range severely and caught them with pants down over switching to battery power, really unhelpful and vague,seriously damaging to the sector.

Sick Boy

David Davis talked about staying in the customs union just before the referendum. To say it was clear Brexit meant leaving the CU is absolute nonsense.

There were about 10 different leave campaign groups all with different agendas.
I asked the question before and no one answered, do people seriously believe that Aaron Banks vision for Brexit is the same as George Galloways?

Davis kept telling us we could agree trade deals with individual countries, then he actually started talks and found out how the EU worked. The word incompetent doesn't do this Government justice.

clint van damme

there are 3 or 4 reasons and Brexit is one of them but it's not solely responsible.

Sick Boy

It has nothing to do with it

Do you accept it has had negative consequences elsewhere? Digital Marketing has slowed right down since the vote and the uncertainty is making it worse, especially since it was stated the UK will be leaving the digital single market as well.

clint van damme

Out of interest, what is the problem? I have 2,5 years of my lease contracts to go for my Discovery. What happens then? Do I get a New Diesel engine which emits less Nitrogen Oxide / Sickoxid?

i think that there won't be any more diesel engines developed after 2020, if they're already in production then I think they can carry on selling them but I'm not 100% sure.
I should know as I work in the industry but I hope to be out in a few years and really couldn't give a toss to be honest!

wingy

It has nothing to do with it
You could at least say why.
The Chief Executive has cited the uncertainty as a brake to making decisions on investment.
That does leave me wondering why the two Japanese producers have ploughed ahead .
What gives them the confidence given that they pitched up here to exploit a backdoor route into supply ?

martcov

i think that there won't be any more diesel engines developed after 2020, if they're already in production then I think they can carry on selling them but I'm not 100% sure.
I should know as I work in the industry but I hope to be out in a few years and really couldn't give a toss to be honest!

I need a good towing vehicle. Am very happy with my discovery, but there all sorts of bans and restrictions coming up. Cities can choose to shut off certain areas to Diesels in Germany. Has just been decided. Could cause problems.

skybluetony176

I heard it was because some of their “top” executives spend more time on social media than they do doing their paid job. Surely not.

skybluetony176

Davis kept telling us we could agree trade deals with individual countries, then he actually started talks and found out how the EU worked. The word incompetent doesn't do this Government justice.
Liam Fox was being reminded that he was making the same claim during the leave campaign just last night on Question Time.

NorthernWisdom

You could at least say why.
The Chief Executive has cited the uncertainty as a brake to making decisions on investment.
That does leave me wondering why the two Japanese producers have ploughed ahead .
What gives them the confidence given that they pitched up here to exploit a backdoor route into supply ?
Nissan for one got the suitably enigmatic assurances from the government. I suspect that means if any Brexit deal isn't as good as hoped, the government agree to underwrite any unexpected costs - could be expensive!

Still, at least state aid would be allowed after Brexit... even if there might be the risk of tariffs as a result.

NorthernWisdom

I need a good towing vehicle. Am very happy with my discovery, but there all sorts of bans and restrictions coming up. Cities can choose to shut off certain areas to Diesels in Germany. Has just been decided. Could cause problems.
Ridiculous really, that they turn so quickly after hyping up diesels. New diesels aren't even that bad, and natural wastage will get rid of the older ones soon enough.

martcov

Nissan for one got the suitably enigmatic assurances from the government. I suspect that means if any Brexit deal isn't as good as hoped, the government agree to underwrite any unexpected costs - could be expensive!

Still, at least state aid would be allowed after Brexit... even if there might be the risk of tariffs as a result.

We had state aid with Jaguar, Triumph Meriden and British Leyland. It didn't solve the basic problems. We were too inefficient ( too many man hours to produce cars/ motorbikes ) and the cars were unreliable or deliveries of finished cars were often late because of strike action.

NorthernWisdom

We had state aid with Jaguar, Triumph Meriden and British Leyland. It didn't solve the basic problems. We were too inefficient ( too many man hours to produce cars/ motorbikes ) and the cars were unreliable or deliveries of finished cars were often late because of strike action.
Not really my point but... arguably the BL problem was state aid stopped too early. BL were a very similar company to Renault, and the French government ploughed through to see them hit some kind of viability. We, meanwhile, cut the funding just when we had about sorted things out. The major problem then was we had some cars which were reasonable dynamically (Maestro, Montego) but appallingly styled. What they needed above all was a re-skin, and there was no cash for that.

So we sold to British Aerospace with the commitment they didn't sell for a set period... upon which they promptly sold. No investment in the engineering, more a partnership with Honda which was fine when it lasted... but when they sold to BMW instead of Honda (a private company taking, quite rightly, the better financial deal, but not the best deal for the company) it meant they had limited engineering base and had to start from scratch. Cue massive losses while developing some half decent cars and, again, the plug being pulled at just the wrong moment really, when they had their new mid range car all set to go... along with the Mini of course, which BMW kept.

A bit of strength of will, and BL could have been the ones buying shares in Nissan and controlling their destiny.

skybluetony176

Unwillingness to move with the times was another issue, certainly with Triumph motorcycles anyway. I read an article in a classic bike magazine some years ago and it was talking about how Triumph lost scores of talented designers to Japanese manufacturers not because of money but because they were frustrated at Triumph being stuck on one philosophy on how to build a motorcycle and not taking their designs forward. Apparently there’s only so many times you can redesign a triple before you feel creatively frustrated. So off they went to the land of the rising sun and to have their creativity met with enthusiasm.

fernandopartridge

No we didn't. The state was a shareholder in BL, it wasn't a private entity in receipt of state aid.

fernandopartridge

Unwillingness to move with the times was another issue, certainly with Triumph motorcycles anyway. I read an article in a classic bike magazine some years ago and it was talking about how Triumph lost scores of talented designers to Japanese manufacturers not because of money but because they were frustrated at Triumph being stuck on one philosophy on how to build a motorcycle and not taking their designs forward. Apparently there’s only so many times you can redesign a triple before you feel creatively frustrated. So off they went to the land of the rising sun and to have their creativity met with enthusiasm.
That's the UK (and EU) all over. Pig headed entitled morons making decisions on behalf of experts

SkyblueBazza

Do you accept it has had negative consequences elsewhere? Digital Marketing has slowed right down since the vote and the uncertainty is making it worse, especially since it was stated the UK will be leaving the digital single market as well.
It is the uncertainty - and it is probably affecting other companies around the EU too atm.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Grendel

It wasn’t state aid - it was state ownership and jaguar was part of BL

clint van damme

Boris changed his position on an issue again, this time the Irish border.
Man is an absolute buffoon.
What fucks me off is as much as I dislike the tories I have to admit they have people in their party who have the talent to be foreign Secretary, (I particularly rate Rory Stewart, ex soldier and diplomat with a high level of understanding of middle eastern issues), but because boris was a Bullingdon boy he gets the gig.

It's shameful, elitist, and just proves they only look after each other and don't give a fuck about the country.

fernandopartridge

Sorry Tony, I was wrong about the state aid to BL. The state aid rules have become more stringent over time (as the EU drives its neo liberal agenda). It looks as if the government got EC clearance to invest in BL in the 70s and 80s. Looks like they spent nearly £4bn!

Grendel

Sorry Tony, I was wrong about the state aid to BL. The state aid rules have become more stringent over time (as the EU drives its neo liberal agenda). It looks as if the government got EC clearance to invest in BL in the 70s and 80s. Looks like they spent nearly £4bn!

They owned a holding company to the original private company which effectively was nationalisation.

martcov

Which appears to be Corbyn‘s gripe with the EU. Sort of scuppers his nationalisation plans. The EU wants a level playing field and state aid or ownership could distort that. With a single market you cannot put tariffs on goods to counter state subsidies. So they have to control or ban state aid/ subsidies.

NorthernWisdom

Boris changed his position on an issue again, this time the Irish border.
Man is an absolute buffoon.
What fucks me off is as much as I dislike the tories I have to admit they have people in their party who have the talent to be foreign Secretary, (I particularly rate Rory Stewart, ex soldier and diplomat with a high level of understanding of middle eastern issues), but because boris was a Bullingdon boy he gets the gig.

It's shameful, elitist, and just proves they only look after each other and don't give a fuck about the country.
Boris gets the gig to keep him close I assume, rather than talent.

On the plus side, it ought to stop him becoming leader too, as his great pretence of not being part of the establishment gets blown out the water, and his buffoonery gets to be seen on a global scale.

Mind you... hasn't stopped Trump I guess...!

Users who are viewing this thread