The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (11 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chiefdave

One of the government's solicitors has resigned over Johnson and co trying to amend the withdrawal agreement.
I understand that we voted to leave and therefore we're going to leave but is there really that many people who can't understand that in the middle of economic meltdown and a pandemic it might be worth pushing it back 12 months?

Interesting thread of MPs, including Johnson and Gove, declaring no deal to be a disaster scenario, click on it to get the full thread.

fernandopartridge

I can't really work out what the objective of the hard brexit crowd is now? If they're disaster capitalists looking to prosper from a catastrophic moment then Covid has beaten Brexit to the punch. Is it all just political rhetoric to keep the plebs that vote for them angry?

shmmeee

I think people need to accept that Johnson has been given a blank cheque by his voters. No matter what he does it’s the right thing and best for Brexit and that’s all they care about. The more Remainers moaning the better.

clint van damme

I think people need to accept that Johnson has been given a blank cheque by his voters. No matter what he does it’s the right thing and best for Brexit and that’s all they care about. The more Remainers moaning the better.

Probably a bit before your time and I've tried tracking it down and can't find it but years ago there was an episode of comic strip where they elected some fella as PM, I think his name was Nosher and no matter what he did the public lapped it up. It's turning out pretty prophetic.

shmmeee

Probably a bit before your time and I've tried tracking it down and can't find it but years ago there was an episode of comic strip where they elected some fella as PM, I think his name was Nosher and no matter what he did the public lapped it up. It's turning out pretty prophetic.

Most people vote with their gut and back rationalise everything else. Look at Trump fans and the crap they’ll come out with. Not exclusive to the right. Corbyn has his fair share and sensible centrists aren’t exempt.

Johnson has always cultivated this sort of cult following since school apparently. Hence the whole Boris persona. I’ll never understand it personally, but he’s got charisma. It’s going to take something huge to chip away at that 40% or so support.

The worst thing is he’s there mostly to “deliver Brexit” which handily is basically whatever the fuck he says it is.

You can bring up video after video of him contradicting himself, point to the WA and what’s been agreed back what’s been said at various points and it doesn’t even touch the sides. You’re a whiny Remoaner and are just bitter, whatever Boris said this week is pure Brexit and always has been and is just what we voted for and how dare you patronise us.

Like all woo it both gives the believers a sense of higher knowledge (against these uppity educated types), but also hands huge power to the creator of the nonsense.

It worries me greatly that seemingly the only thing between us and a complete disintegration of democratic norms is Boris Johnson’s (therefore Dominic Cummings’) conscience. We need a written constitution ASAP when/if we ever get a competent government in.

clint van damme

Most people vote with their gut and back rationalise everything else. Look at Trump fans and the crap they’ll come out with. Not exclusive to the right. Corbyn has his fair share and sensible centrists aren’t exempt.

Johnson has always cultivated this sort of cult following since school apparently. Hence the whole Boris persona. I’ll never understand it personally, but he’s got charisma. It’s going to take something huge to chip away at that 40% or so support.

The worst thing is he’s there mostly to “deliver Brexit” which handily is basically whatever the fuck he says it is.

You can bring up video after video of him contradicting himself, point to the WA and what’s been agreed back what’s been said at various points and it doesn’t even touch the sides. You’re a whiny Remoaner and are just bitter, whatever Boris said this week is pure Brexit and always has been and is just what we voted for and how dare you patronise us.

Like all woo it both gives the believers a sense of higher knowledge (against these uppity educated types), but also hands huge power to the creator of the nonsense.

It worries me greatly that seemingly the only thing between us and a complete disintegration of democratic norms is Boris Johnson’s (therefore Dominic Cummings’) conscience. We need a written constitution ASAP when/if we ever get a competent government in.

Great post. Totally agree about the written constitution though as the States is currently proving probably isn't quite as bomb proof as people think though nothing is perfect

skybluetony176

A bit before your time though mate surely?!
What can I say, I’ve aged well. The comic strip came on TV just as me and my brother were given a tv for our bedroom. We used to watch it with the volume down low as we were supposed to be asleep. Used to be on a Sunday night IIRC. Supergrass was my personal favourite, Jennifer Saunders breasts might have had something to do with it.

skybluetony176

It’s pretty clear what the government are doing. They’re trying to get the EU to walk away so the government can point the finger at them, look it’s all their fault.
The British Public are stupid enough to buy it too.

skybluetony176

There’s a lot of noise from the US and specifically the Republican Party that if Boris goes down this route then that basically ends the chances of a US/U.K. trade deal. There’s a big Irish lobby in the US and even without that the US and even the Republican Party under Trump take the GFA very seriously.

wingy

If we have a few frigates in the channel they won't be stopping dinghies but trawlers.
Hope we've got the western flank Covered , that's a lot of 40 Tonner's coming in unchecked.

clint van damme

The devolved governments not liking this bill either. Boris seems determined to break up the Union.

It's got Cummings hands all over it.
I can't see Johnson lasting long. I wonder when it will start dawning on him that he's going to pay the price for his SPADs hubris?

Brighton Sky Blue

The devolved governments not liking this bill either. Boris seems determined to break up the Union.

I said when that twat got elected that it was a race between Scotland and NI to see who breaks off first, then when one does the rest will follow suit and we'll be stuck in a Tory rump. He's done nothing to dispel that feeling. Would be nice having a pick of better places to go afterwards mind

skybluetony176

I said when that twat got elected that it was a race between Scotland and NI to see who breaks off first, then when one does the rest will follow suit and we'll be stuck in a Tory rump. He's done nothing to dispel that feeling. Would be nice having a pick of better places to go afterwards mind
If the people of Northern Ireland haven’t got the message yet the U.K. government couldn’t give a fuck about you.

skybluetony176

If people who claim to care about the union haven't got the message yet the Conservative and Unionist Party are doing more to destabilise it than Gerry Adams could have dreamed
Boris is doing the bidding of the SNP and Sinn Fein. It was joked about the other week that if Boris keeps following Sturgeons lead he’ll be campaigning for Scottish independence by Christmas. Didn’t even take that long.

Brighton Sky Blue

Boris is doing the bidding of the SNP and Sinn Fein. It was joked about the other week that if Boris keeps following Sturgeons lead he’ll be campaigning for Scottish independence by Christmas. Didn’t even take that long.

I now look to see what's going on in Scottish schools to see what we'll be doing in a few weeks' time. It's embarrassing that Sturgeon and the shower of shite that have wrecked education up there are still ahead of Williamson.

I didn't realise that when he said he was a One Nation Tory that he meant there'd only be one nation left at the end

Evo1883

By the looks of it, Boris is doing the opposite of beating the SNP drum, he's Trying to crush them and their relevance... He will probably succeed when devolved powers are pretty much wiped away as his new bill will pass through easily ... Rightly or wrongly

Brighton Sky Blue

By the looks of it, Boris is doing the opposite of beating the SNP drum, he's Trying to crush them and their relevance... He will probably succeed when devolved powers are pretty much wiped away... Rightly or wrongly

By doing a really shit job on Brexit and Covid he has sent support for independence through the roof

Users who are viewing this thread