The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (58 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The simple fact that intelligent posters acknowledge we have to leave and it’s the type of leave that needs to be decided

Another referendum just continues a civil war

Even leaving won't stop the civil war. Remainers will look for every opportunity to show how Britain has become worse for leaving, Leavers will look for every opportunity to show it's better.

It'll still be civil war, just it won't be stopping leaving it'll be we should go back in. People won't just shut up and go away because the actual process of leaving is completed.

We decided far more decisively to join in 1973, but since then there has been people arguing we should leave. This will be no different.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Again irrelevant and shows how embarrassingly out of touch you now are on here

To be fair I don't think you can call one of the primary industries of the country irrelevant. It's got far more clout and influence than I'd like but the fact is it is a major part of the economic make-up of Britain's biggest economic region.

martcov

Our of interest, the greens are the rising star in Germany. Where I live they got 37%. In the state of Schleswig-Holstein as a whole they got 29.1%, AfD 7,4% and FDP Liberals 5,9%. West Germany AfD 8,8%, East Germany 19,57%. Greens, West 22,01%, East 13,78%. Liberals West, 5,64%, East 4,55%. Glad I live in the West. In Görlitz, by the Polish border, 36,4% voted AfD. The battle for the next state votes is in the East. 3 States are voting this year. It’s Greens v AfD for the State Parliaments.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Again the point sales over your head

I believe the point they're making is that the poster believes that Leave would win in another referendum, and probably by a larger margin. If that is the case what is there to fear from another vote? If you're that confident all a second referendum will do is confirm the leave position and give it an even greater mandate.

It'd be like a boxer winning a title on points and the opponent saying 'rematch'. If the boxer is that confident they'd win, they'd accept the rematch to prove they were worthy winners and show than can win more comprehensively next time and put the matter to bed. The only reason they wouldn't agree is if they thought they might lose. Think Froch v Groves.

Edit: I know Froch didn't win his first match on points.

Last edited:

martcov

To be fair I don't think you can call one of the primary industries of the country irrelevant. It's got far more clout and influence than I'd like but the fact is it is a major part of the economic make-up of Britain's biggest economic region.

The tax revenue is very significant as are the well paid City jobs. Leavers keep on about getting our fishing rights back ( which have been largely sold to big Danish firms anyway ). If the trade off is fish against losing City influence, then we are losing more than we are gaining.

Astute

Kind of my point. Those most willing to leave the EU are over 60 and hence financially safe. It’s all very well saying it isn’t about economics but it’s economics that puts good in people’s mouths and pays their mortgage. When politics exists in a vacuum without the context of the real world it’s just ideology.

Ideology is trampling over economics and we will all suffer the consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you trying to make out that 52% of the population are over 60 and all of them voted leave?

Anti EU sentiment is growing throughout the EU. All the countries leaders want reforms to be made. But they can't get the power back off those running the EU. It is jobs for the boys. They won't allow things to change. They even go against the rules, regulations and laws to keep it going. And when they get caught out they carry on regardless. That is a major problem.

martcov

Are you trying to make out that 52% of the population are over 60 and all of them voted leave?

Anti EU sentiment is growing throughout the EU. All the countries leaders want reforms to be made. But they can't get the power back off those running the EU. It is jobs for the boys. They won't allow things to change. They even go against the rules, regulations and laws to keep it going. And when they get caught out they carry on regardless. That is a major problem.

All the countries leaders are the EU and have the ultimate say via the EU council. Yes, of course some abuse the system and some break the rules, but the system is rule based and functions.

fernandopartridge

Erm no. The average age of the population who voted in the GE is higher than the average generally. The turnout was 72% so leave voters represent 52% of that.
Older people were twice as likely to vote leave than young people so are likely to make up a significant proportion of leave voters, worth looking at the constituencies voting remain, generally they're of a lower average age.

martcov

Anti EU sentiment is not growing everywhere. e.g. Ireland pro EU 90%, Germany anti EU 10%. Italy lowest pro EU at around 50%. EU acceptance has actually gone up since Brexit. Why do you think that is?

Sick Boy

Anti EU sentiment is not growing everywhere. e.g. Ireland pro EU 90%, Germany anti EU 10%. Italy lowest pro EU at around 50%. EU acceptance has actually gone up since Brexit. Why do you think that is?

Even Le Penn doesn’t want to leave the EU now and La Lega Nord don’t have it on their agenda either. La Lega voters I’ve spoken with aren’t keen on the EU at the moment but see Britain leaving as a pretty extreme reaction.

Astute

Strange as the leave campaigners repeatedly stressed what a good deal we would get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The leave campaigners? So all of them said the same?

I suppose you would also say all the remain campaigners lied as well?

So who was it that stressed this before the referendum?

Astute

Not at all. Leaving is now the legal default unless we negotiate an extension.
Negotiate an extension? The EU will most probably want this farce over with more than having Farage and the Brexit lot in the EU causing havoc.

Astute

Erm no. The average age of the population who voted in the GE is higher than the average generally. The turnout was 72% so leave voters represent 52% of that.
Older people were twice as likely to vote leave than young people so are likely to make up a significant proportion of leave voters, worth looking at the constituencies voting remain, generally they're of a lower average age.
Agreed. But the post I replied to said something different.

Astute

All the countries leaders are the EU and have the ultimate say via the EU council. Yes, of course some abuse the system and some break the rules, but the system is rule based and functions.
And it is those who are in charge of the EU that do the rule breaking.

Astute

And in more important news Boris looks like he will end up in court over his comments that we pay 350m a week into the EU and that it could go into the NHS instead.

Sick Boy

So why have they extended each time so far?

Each time?

Because the UK is a member of the EU and they have been trying to find a mutually beneficial arrangement. Outside of the UK Brexit is not seen as a key issue, there is more interest in moving on from it as it’s seen as a distraction.

Ashdown

Because they have closed ranks and made it almost impossible to Leave on decent terms ?

Astute

Each time?

Because the UK is a member of the EU and they have been trying to find a mutually beneficial arrangement. Outside of the UK Brexit is not seen as a key issue, there is more interest in moving on from it as it’s seen as a distraction.
Brexit is massive to the EU and the countries in the EU. More money to put in/less to take out. Nearly every country sells more to us than they buy from us. Those who work in tourism are worried. And I could go on.

Users who are viewing this thread