The EFL & the warning to Charlton & CCFC (1 Viewer)

georgehudson

Following the protest by Charlton Athletic & Coventry City fans in mid-October involving plastic pigs,
I believe the EFL issued a warning with regard to this incident.

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, this was a warning of a heavy fine & a points deduction.

Imagine my chagrin, therefore, when on the 26th October 2016, in the EFL Cup, West Ham United & Chelsea fans are, in their hundreds, reported to have been hurling plastic bottles, parts of broken seats, & coins at each other.
Is it therefore safe to assume that Martin Glenn, Greg Clarke, & the other EFL persons will take appropriate action, i.e. a very heavy fine, plus expulsion from cup competitions ?

After all, I'd consider hurling seats, coins & bottles, much more serious than a lot of miniature plastic pigs, even though they were stress pigs.
So, over to the EFL to prove their worth, I wonder why I'm not holding my breath though.

PUSB

rupert_bear

Following the protest by Charlton Athletic & Coventry City fans in mid-October involving plastic pigs,

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, this was a warning of a heavy fine & a points deduction.

Imagine my chagrin, therefore, when on the 26th October 2016, in the EFL Cup, West Ham United & Chelsea fans are, in their hundreds, reported to have been hurling plastic bottles, parts of broken seats, & coins at each other.
Is it therefore safe to assume that Martin Glenn, Greg Clarke, & the other EFL persons will take appropriate action, i.e. a very heavy fine, plus expulsion from cup competitions ?

After all, I'd consider hurling seats, coins & bottles, much more serious than a lot of miniature plastic pigs, even though they were stress pigs.
So, over to the EFL to prove their worth, I wonder why I'm not holding my breath though.

PUSB
In a word no, that is the property of the Premiership and FA not the EFL.

georgehudson

Even though, this was in the EFL cup ?
Still I'm sure we can rely upon the Premiership to be strong in this regard.
I'm not being pedantic,
I leave that province to others, btw, no rhyme or reason

rupert_bear

Even though, this was in the EFL cup ?
Still I'm sure we can rely upon the Premiership to be strong in this regard.
I'm not being pedantic,
I leave that province to others, btw, no rhyme or reason
I suppose as it was the EFL cup the FL might impose penalties for fan misbehaviour or is that an FA issue ? nothing more than a fine and a warning though. I suppose the points deduction threat in the pig throwing issue is to stop continuation of disrupting games in that manner. It made its mark at the time

tim07

Hmm.....was this warning made in secret, I can find no EFL reference to it?
Or is it (more likely) a myth generated by club owners/directors with a reputation for blag and bullshit when they're on the ropes?

Can't think who I might be referring to here.

Fishy Tim ~TYFO

Last edited:

CJ_covblaze

IMG_0120.JPG IMG_0114.JPG IMG_0113.JPG Was there last night and it was a disgrace both inside and outside. The fans behaved like animals. It was mostly down to Chelsea and West Ham retaliated (understandable to an extent but shouldn't happen).

The stadium is awful. The sections that are covered are the lower tier seats for athletics and it looks like the away stand at Gillingham. Seems temporary. Another issue is the segregation. The home fans have to walk through the away concourse with a few stewards making a path. The trouble inside the ground was caused by virtually none existent segregation in the area just above the lower tier seating. There is no barrier. Again just a few stewards to keep the two sets of fans apart. A couple of Chelsea fans managed to slip into the home end unnoticed and started to cause trouble. The reaction was always going to happen. I know it has to be multi purpose and some say it'll take time to iron out the creases but some can not be ironed out. They're stuck with them for good. It's been thrown together on a Friday afternoon. It's like the builders think they've finished it, someone has noticed the issues and they've thought "oh crap, what to we do with that" so they brought in Ken and Dave from down the pub to fix it all.

CJ_covblaze

I feel dizzy after looking at the photos above

That's another problem. The photos don't do the distance from the pitch justice. Likewise from the benches. Good job we're not playing there. It'd take half an hour for some our lot to reach the touch line when they're brought on with the speed they move. The atmosphere was ok but they were comfortably beating one their fiercest rivals. It should be better than 'ok'. Was talking to one of their fans and I said "it's just not the Boleyn is it?". He replied "it's just not West Ham either any more". Very sad.

CJ_covblaze

If we build upside down at the butts we might be able to fit a stadium on the site .

Oh I get it now. They look the right way up here! Nick why are they ok to me but not to others?

CJ_covblaze

Ok for me on iPhone and Mac.

Monners

I have been there for athletics and there was no trouble that day. Not the stadiums fault that morons can't behave. The point about viewing distance is valid though.

Skybluefaz

I have been there for athletics and there was no trouble that day. Not the stadiums fault that morons can't behave. The point about viewing distance is valid though.
The people planning the segregation and organisation should consider that football fans are not going to be behaving like athletics fans though. Surely that should be an obvious consideration .

fernandopartridge

PUSB

CCFC haven't been punished. What a silly post.

fernandopartridge

After seeing CJ's pictures there, I've heard that Lionel Richie has booked in a gig there. The first place where he could actually Dance of the Ceiling.

Monners

The people planning the segregation and organisation should consider that football fans are not going to be behaving like athletics fans though. Surely that should be an obvious consideration .
I take your point - but I manage to follow both without causing trouble.

CJ_covblaze

This is the important bit. Football and Rugby to an extent is tribal and the atmosphere will always be a bit more intense than if the same group of people went to watch a big bloke throw a shot putt around. At the end of the game the home and away fans are filtered into the same areas. It's a recipe for trouble. That trouble shouldn't happen but the reality is, it will given the opportunity. Especially when it takes so long to get back to Stratford Station, which is where both sets of fans will be heading.

AngryAnt

This is why it should never have been given to a football club. It wasn't designed to be a football stadium (and we all know just how shocking the procedure of giving it to West Ham was).
It should have stayed a national stadium, concerts, athletics, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread