The disgusting thing about these 'players'... (1 Viewer)

CCFC123

...is they ARE good enough, they do posseses the qualitys of good players but they SIMPLY WONT PLAY/CARE ENOUGH ABOUT THE CLUB.

There simply here to get a salary and will play lip service to the supporters about bad luck/injuries/lack of form etc etc. There spinless and after today I've removed the title professional from there job titles. Spineless, idle, uncaring, wasters who should (but wont be) ashamed of themselfs. I would have a guess that the only discussion on the way down the M6 was which bar to hit tonight.

I hope the new boss tosses a few out if he can and start again. I would rather sacrifice a top 6 finish and have a good base for next season withou some of these wasters.

Where's McSheffery and Kilbane been this season as senior pro's?

They should hold there heads in shame... sadly they dont give a toss.

How fuckin dare they do this to those supporters who have suffered so much for so little return....

Didge76

Tell u what it's about time a few of the fans were given access to these underachieving tossers. Maybe it's time a couple of fans were given a chance to tell them what it means to them. I know it won't happen but they need to know because at the minuite it really looks like they don't give two shits!!!!!!!!!!!

CJparker

How do you really know they don't care? Did you ask each of them?

For me, it's a lack of tactics, direction and self-belief.

cloughie

how about motivating themselfs and stop looking excuses... i'm sick of excuses every time.... there weak.

Thats why they need motivating they are weak otherwise they would be playing at a higher level

Sick Boy

Most professional footballers couldn't care less about the supporters, some don't like them at all. It is probably a bit hard for supporters to believe as they like to see themselves at the centre of the football club.

percy

OR, they arent being motivated ?

if they need someone else to motivate them to try their best then i think they need to be moved on. these players are supposed to be pro's, with hopefully a desire to do their best at training and in games. if not then they are not only letting themselves down massively but also their families, teammates (especially the younger players) and us fans.

stupot07

I've got a theory.....it's a little bit left field so bear with me......

.......perhaps the players aren't actually as good as we thought they are...?

AFCCOVENTRY

Have we actually managed to assemble a squad with no mental strength?

These are the weakest and most pathetic bunch of players I have witnessed ever at CCFC.

CCFC123

that old statement of pro footballers never going out to not do there best has been well and truly blown out the window with this lot of wasters....

Black6Osprey

Including cup games we've played 9 now and only played well in 1 game and had a few moments in a couple of others. We have had some games with very poor effort levels but many more games where we haven't taken chances and continue to let in poor goals. This comes down to ability. It's a poor squad and someone has clearly made a huge mistake in agreeing to pay salaries well over what they are worth. I don't believe a new manager will turn this lot into promotion candidates as I don't believe they have enough ability, mental strength and desire to do it. I hope I am totally wrong but law of averages tells me I'm not.

Diehard Si

Yeah in a nutshell.

We've ALL seen them dominate teams for part of games, let a goal in a panic sets in. Fear. Pure fear and panic. Suddenly they can't pass the ball to someone 10 metres away.

SkyBlueScottie

how about motivating themselfs and stop looking excuses... i'm sick of excuses every time.... there weak.

How do you really know they don't care? Did you ask each of them?

Do you know, that over time I have tried to refrain from commenting on what I think the players are feeling or what they are trying to do, mainly for fear of making statements which are not true and based on my own limited opinion of watching and playing football whether it be in the playground at school, on a parks pitch or a 5 a side pitch, however todays performances and subsequent comments from Baker have led me to post my thoughts on our current situation.

CCFC123 in my mind is correct, however I ask a question of you all. Are professional footballers (mainly the ones we are playing against) that good, that our squad cant pull a performance out of the bag every now and again? Are the opposition that good that they can effectively stop say Baker / Barton from influencing a game if they are self motivated enough to try and run a game? While thinking to themselves, do you know what, I want to win today.

I know from my own personal experience like I say very limited that there are times when you can influence games and your team mates by your actions.

Tactics, do we as mere fans place too much importance on them? How difficult is it for a player to understand that when defending a corner / free kick they go an mark player x or they stand against the post, I would suggest not that hard as watching City we seem to be ok at organising ourselves however it comes rather undone at the point our opponents decide to try and influence the game by moving around.

The comments I referred to from Baker were made after the game when he announced on the radio that the players were hoping Shaw and Carse were appointed as they liked them. To me that gives the biggest insight to the current frame of mind at our club, apparently the players are happy under Shaw, where are the performances which show that? Some people have rumoured players did not like Thorn and comments were made in the press to try and gloss over disharmony in the squad, however Birmingham aside we have not seen anything different in the performances under Shaw to suggest any seismic changes have occurred at the training ground.

I believe the time is now for a player / s at the club to truely take a long look at themselves and to make a concious decision to stop hiding behind soundbites and excuses to show a bit of the desire / talent they have previously showed to secure themselves a career in professional football. For once ( in fact for the next 40 league games) I expect them to think about the game, not just run around a bit and point to the opta stats which suggest they have tried hard, I want them to be brave on and off the ball. I want them to try and influence the game and their teammates and I want them to be able to truthful unto themselves, and think actually there was nothing more I could out there.

cloughie

Do you know, that over time I have tried to refrain from commenting on what I think the players are feeling or what they are trying to do, mainly for fear of making statements which are not true and based on my own limited opinion of watching and playing football whether it be in the playground at school, on a parks pitch or a 5 a side pitch, however todays performances and subsequent comments from Baker have led me to post my thoughts on our current situation.

CCFC123 in my mind is correct, however I ask a question of you all. Are professional footballers (mainly the ones we are playing against) that good, that our squad cant pull a performance out of the bag every now and again? Are the opposition that good that they can effectively stop say Baker / Barton from influencing a game if they are self motivated enough to try and run a game? While thinking to themselves, do you know what, I want to win today.

I know from my own personal experience like I say very limited that there are times when you can influence games and your team mates by your actions.

Tactics, do we as mere fans place too much importance on them? How difficult is it for a player to understand that when defending a corner / free kick they go an mark player x or they stand against the post, I would suggest not that hard as watching City we seem to be ok at organising ourselves however it comes rather undone at the point our opponents decide to try and influence the game by moving around.

The comments I referred to from Baker were made after the game when he announced on the radio that the players were hoping Shaw and Carse were appointed as they liked them. To me that gives the biggest insight to the current frame of mind at our club, apparently the players are happy under Shaw, where are the performances which show that? Some people have rumoured players did not like Thorn and comments were made in the press to try and gloss over disharmony in the squad, however Birmingham aside we have not seen anything different in the performances under Shaw to suggest any seismic changes have occurred at the training ground.

I believe the time is now for a player / s at the club to truely take a long look at themselves and to make a concious decision to stop hiding behind soundbites and excuses to show a bit of the desire / talent they have previously showed to secure themselves a career in professional football. For once ( in fact for the next 40 league games) I expect them to think about the game, not just run around a bit and point to the opta stats which suggest they have tried hard, I want them to be brave on and off the ball. I want them to try and influence the game and their teammates and I want them to be able to truthful unto themselves, and think actually there was nothing more I could out there.

Agreed as you say the players like shaw and carsley

NO NO NO They should RESPECT them with a bit of fear in their bones

Thats the type of manager we need , but sadly I doubt that will happen

Diehard Si

That's a good post Scottie, but I'd also consider this self belief element. Both individually and the team belief as a whole. Its just non existent. This is a scared team. You can see it in the way they drop their heads.

They are clearly affected by the bad form. It just goes to pot when we concede.

Wins aside it's got to come from 3 areas:

1. Manager - Clearly we don't have one
2. Leader on the pitch - this gets said a lot but worryingly we don't have one. Anyone can lead when the going is good.
3. The individual players themselves - unfortunately they do seem very wet. We've got a team of youngsters and some who've gone astray in their career a bit, looking to get back on track. We don't have 'battle hardened veterans' out there.

It's going to have to come from a new manager getting some results. Once it starts we then have to go for the snowball effect.

SkyblueBazza

We are all human beings & have certain common behavioural traits.
In every walk of life behaviour/performance/effectiveness/outcomes are influenced by 3 things personal to each of us: -
Knowledge: do we know what we are supposed/need to do to achieve the outcome we want? (These are professional players, so we should be able to assume they DO have the knowledge)
Skills: knowing how to do something is entirely different to doing it...that takes skill - & ability...I know how to fly - you flap your wings! I cannot fly because I don't have wings! I know how to play snooker, but I am very poor because I do not have the skill! (These are professional able bodied players & again, we should expect them to be able to perform at the right level to at least occasionally achieve the desired outcome)
ATTITUDE: we choose this for ourselves at the end of the day - but sometimes others can influence our attitude to get us to over or under perform. Sometimes I get out of bed & cannot be arsed with stuff that needs doing, & no matter how I try - some of it ends up not being done or I's well-late. (there is some reason(s) that the attitude of our players are not achieving the desired outcome(s) demanded of them)

I personally think when there is such a high level of under performance there are multiple reasons at work. In football I am thinking a not exhaustive list might include: -
Poor management
Poor motivation (i.e. What's in it for me?..bonus & salary downgrades maybe?)
Poor attitude of others (teamwork! Did Shaw &/or Carsley have this impact during Thorn's last games? Is Carsley doing likewise now to give himself a chance at the job? Or Kilblane? Could he be seeing this as an opportunity? Or McSheff' is he disrupting things post a bonus/salary reduction? The possibilities & permutations are endless)

As fans - we also choose our own attitude to our plight. At the moment I think the booing & deriding of players is a contributing NEGATIVE factor...I accept this is a result of the on & off-pitch frustrations which began many years back (well before SISU even). We are in a downward spiral & drastic measures will possibly be needed to rectify things. No idea what measures exactly will work - but Fisher & Waggot are at present our only hope as they know what's happening on all sides of the equation.
(I need a lie down now!)

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Yeah in a nutshell.

We've ALL seen them dominate teams for part of games, let a goal in a panic sets in. Fear. Pure fear and panic. Suddenly they can't pass the ball to someone 10 metres away.

Sounds like almost every game!

Black6Osprey

That's a good post Scottie, but I'd also consider this self belief element. Both individually and the team belief as a whole. Its just non existent. This is a scared team. You can see it in the way they drop their heads.

2. Leader on the pitch - this gets said a lot but worryingly we don't have one. Anyone can lead when the going is good.
3. The individual players themselves - unfortunately they do seem very wet. We've got a team of youngsters and some who've gone astray in their career a bit, looking to get back on track. We don't have 'battle hardened veterans' out there.

It's going to have to come from a new manager getting some results. Once it starts we then have to go for the snowball effect.

I agree we do lack some self belief with individuals but what disturbs me is we lacked it at Yeovil and when we played the first half against Sheff Utd (Our first home game of the season). Now I can understand our belief draining away now after 6 games without a win, but in our first game and then first home game. I doesn't make sense to me how this can be.

Nonleagueherewecome

I'd rather play and win under the 'Hairdryer' than under a manager I like

If we win under a manager, any manager-even one with a horrific history of war crimes, woman-beating and general moral bankruptcy...even if he loves fake tan, I'll love him.

sky_blue_up_north

Thought Kilbane had a shocker again yesterday.

SkyBlueScottie

During our tenure at the Ricoh we have had all the different types of manager out there.

Adams, worked on a shoestring, proven that he was able to achieve promotion, Mickey Adams also had an affilliation with the club from his playing career and was very passionate about our underachieving and how we should get out of it.

Dowie, another who had acheived promotion, again with a clear work ethic, expected nothing less 100% from his players, ultimately he failed.

Coleman more of a thinking mans manager, supposedly a touch of class, not a grafter in the sense of Adams and Dowie, ultimately he failed.

Boothroyd, a bloke with nous, a forward thinking coach who liked his athletes, he preferred to play in the final 3rd, achieved wonders at Watford, had the players going until a rather bizarre decision to seemingly let / make Turner play on with a busted knee against Leeds, up until that point we showed heart and desire a willingness to run and run, we had got rid of the soft underbelly for a while, Mcsheffrey seemingly didnt like being dropped, he returned with a goal against Doncaster and then faded into obscurity for a while, dropped, came back and played well for a game.... you get the gist, players stopped playing for him.

Thorn, we know what happened here, and just as we thought it ould not get worse the players put in a fine performance against Brum (with a point to prove) since then aside from 10 or 20 mins here or there have been abysmal.

Since Coleman the core of the squad have been around here for a while, yes players have moved on and come in yet the core remains the same. They have had different managers, the majority came with decent CV's yet the results have gradullay gotten worse over time.

Looking at the stats on Wiki the above named managers have been in charge over a period presiding of 353 games, of those we have 108, drawn 104 and lost 141 that speaks volumes.

SkyBlueArmy12

OR, they arent being motivated ?

LOL these footballers are not 9-10 years old, they don't need motivating. They are professionals, and I for one as soon as I step on to a pitch i am constantly motivated to perform so it's not down to motivation it's down to having the desire to play.

CCFC123

LOL these footballers are not 9-10 years old, they don't need motivating. They are professionals, and I for one as soon as I step on to a pitch i am constantly motivated to perform so it's not down to motivation it's down to having the desire to play.

As I stated before no longer am I calling them professional... there not. They have no desire or the will to play for this club despite having the ability (i believe they do have the ability). If they had applied anything like an effort they would be in the top 6.

There a f*****n disgrace to themselfs, family and the club. If I was a parent of these idle wasters I would be reading the riot act for cheating.

CCFC123

If any of the wasters does read this board then here is the worst that can be thrown at a footballer.... CHEATS. All of them are CHEATS.

Feel better for that.....

SkyblueBazza

You cannot say what anyone elses motivation is...for example what motivated you to make a posting about this thread...but not others? Only you know the true answer to that question.
Something (or some things) has got the players' attitude to a bad place. Could be salary/bonus issues, formation, don't like the new away kit, etc.

SkyBlueArmy12

Passion made me comment on this thread, something our players are lacking. Salary?, ask the majority of the individuals on this forum, if you got paid what they do to play "football" how we do week in week out I sure as hell would not be in a bad place son. I can't help but think it's laziness, lack of committment and disgusting attitudes from players who think they don't need to perform to the best of their ability for this club.

Colonel Mustard

It is such a bogus argument to claim that fans would give more effort because they "love" football. Footballers love football! That is why they are where they are. Their love of the game inspired them to play whenever and wherever they could as kids, and that is what eventually led to careers as, yes, professional footballers. The average fan isn't a professional footballer precisely because they didn't love/work as hard/dedicate themselves to the game as the guys on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread