The delusion continues (1 Viewer)

smileycov

Facebook User
i think the next 3-4 games will tell us everything we need to know about promotion or not!

Otis

Honestly don't think we will make them,just don't think there's enough goals in us
Armstrong will always get us goals. First priority is to make the defence meaner. Do that and I always fancy us to score at the other end.

You also have to factor in that we just haven't been winning headers in our own penalty box. When you are able to do so you are clearing your lines and also then giving your forward players a chance to break.

We have been terrible at defending our own box of late.

Gazolba

What if....

Armstrong gets injured

Armstrong gets suspended

Armstrong is on International duty

Armstrong is out of form and needs a rest.

Aren't we unbeaten without him?

Brylowes

Armstrong will always get us goals. First priority is to make the defence meaner. Do that and I always fancy us to score at the other end.

You also have to factor in that we just haven't been winning headers in our own penalty box. When you are able to do so you are clearing your lines and also then giving your forward players a chance to break.

We have been terrible at defending our own box of late.
I agree all our troubles stem from the defence,like us watching the rest of the team has no
confidence in it.Hopefully the two new lads will shore things up,allow the midfield to play
with the freedom they were earlier in the season.
We still need a striker to offer us something different,but mainly to take the heat off
Armstrong and share the burden

stupot07

I agree all our troubles stem from the defence,like us watching the rest of the team has no
confidence in it.Hopefully the two new lads will shore things up,allow the midfield to play
with the freedom they were earlier in the season.
We still need a striker to offer us something different,but mainly to take the heat off
Armstrong and share the burden

Not all the troubles are due to the defensive problems. Teams have changed their tactics and were a bit naive at the beginning of the season playing far too open against us. They're now packing the midfield and defending deeper nullifying any space in behind for Armstrong and Murphy. We're being limited to playing 25-30 yards out trying to pick our way through 2 defensive banks then falling in the trap of taking pot shots. Earlier in the season we were winning the ball high up the pitch with the opposition team overcommitted, and hitting them on the break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

st john

Honestly don't think we will make them,just don't think there's enough goals in us

First thing is we need to find more goals from others already in the team. I thing Lorentzon could weigh in with a few, and maybe one or both of the new centre backs will provide some goals from set pieces. I still think that Murphy should be able to get to 15 for the season.

standupforcity

First thing is we need to find more goals from others already in the team. I thing Lorentzon could weigh in with a few, and maybe one or both of the new centre backs will provide some goals from set pieces. I still think that Murphy should be able to get to 15 for the season.

Agreed! Also think the added height we now have in defence will be a major factor...

torchomatic

Southend 3 Coventry 0
Coventry 1 Northampton 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
Plus Scunthorpe of course.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Not all the troubles are due to the defensive problems. Teams have changed their tactics and were a bit naive at the beginning of the season playing far too open against us. They're now packing the midfield and defending deeper nullifying any space in behind for Armstrong and Murphy. We're being limited to playing 25-30 yards out trying to pick our way through 2 defensive banks then falling in the trap of taking pot shots. Earlier in the season we were winning the ball high up the pitch with the opposition team overcommitted, and hitting them on the break.

I agree with all this. There is an argument though that teams would have to come at us a bit more if it wasn't so easy to play through our defence.

ClarkeZ

Agreed! Also think the added height we now have in defence will be a major factor...

Yes it will. If these two have anything about them we will start winning headers again and take some pressure off defensively.
That will frustrate other teams making them commit more players forward to try and get through us instead of over us like they have recently. Thus it opens up counter attacking opportunities and space to run into which Lameiras, Maddison, Armstrong can exploit very dangerously.

stupot07

Yes it will. If these two have anything about them we will start winning headers again and take some pressure off defensively.
That will frustrate other teams making them commit more players forward to try and get through us instead of over us like they have recently. Thus it opens up counter attacking opportunities and space to run into which Lameiras, Maddison, Armstrong can exploit very dangerously.

That depends on how desperate teams are to beat us. Most will be happy to get a point first and foremost when playing a top 6 side. I suspect knowing how good we are / can be on the break, teams will continue to play safety first, and we'll have to score first to draw them out.

fernandopartridge

That depends on how desperate teams are to beat us. Most will be happy to get a point first and foremost when playing a top 6 side. I suspect knowing how good we are / can be on the break, teams will continue to play safety first, and we'll have to score first to draw them out.

That's why we need to come out of the blocks quicker, i just didn't feel we did that vs Scunny

Users who are viewing this thread