The Council Question (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

In practical terms it would achieve little other than be a good media story and get someone in the local media raising the issue

youd really also only get one shot at it. It would have to be a high profile candidate and targeting a known name who could realistically be defeated

Well, at least having someone who stands as an independent could raise these issues and get ‘air time’ (be in CET, radio or even social media) to talk about platforms and the situation as a whole.

I’m not saying it’s a winnable fight, but this tactic eventually worked out for Charlton.

shmmeee

Agree on a national basis.

When it comes to elections with lower turnouts, in the high-teens to high-twenties in percentage... An independent with votes could sway the election outcome.

Ultimately, the goal would be to make sitting councillors worry that a potential independent running could cause them to lose their seat. Perhaps this changes some of their attitudes, perhaps not. Either way, it’s worth trying.

True but the issue scales. The real question is how much resource can we get and how best to use it. I agree it’s attitude change you’re after.

If you can get enough manpower and media attention and a convincing enough argument you might break through or do a Charlton, but without that you might be better being mercenaries offering to help whoever signs a pledge or whatever.

I just worry a group that can’t get more than a dozen people to a protest will have trouble impacting an election.

Of course it doesn’t have to be either or. Could work on the complaints route which tackles the issue of it being the unelected staff and a campaign against councillors.

shmmeee

Well, at least having someone who stands as an independent could raise these issues and get ‘air time’ (be in CET, radio or even social media) to talk about platforms and the situation as a whole.

I’m not saying it’s a winnable fight, but this tactic eventually worked out for Charlton.

At the risk of having to don my tin hat. Charlton case was a lot clearer cut. It was a refused planning app. It’s a lot harder to get across what your case is and honestly it comes across as unfocused rage rather than a coherent point most of the time. The layman’s view of this is Sisu are litigious bastards. Going in with “Duggins spoke to Aldi” or “look what this twitter account with 300 followers says” is a lot harder sell than “they turned down a ground extension we need”.

Which is why you need to craft the questions for the council properly to give you that smoking gun if you believe it exists. Currently most people will see you going “CCFC need to be in Cov” and CCC going “yeah I agree” and will look at you like this:

giphy.gif

cov donkey kick

How I wish I was living up there in cov now ,if I was I would organise a group of sky blues supporters alongside myself to stand on a get city home message at the next local elections ,
I would generate national press TV,all forms of other media plus local press.
Then organise church hall,public houses,residential meetings.where normal people congregate and meet and make these meetings an open forum so its all inclusive and everyone at the meetings feel involved.
I would also be asking all sky blue fans writing to anti club forums like CET so there over whelmed by support and as a candidate standing everyone I speak to would ask for there support.
Working in that way with everybody standing and replicating the above actively including everybody in the city you would have a truly elected voice.

shmmeee

How do you get to be Mayor ? As the wicked witch can’t be any help ?

Appointed by the council. So you’d need to win a majority anyway.

Be easier to go for WMCA Mayor, though even Andy Street has just said he won’t be running as an independent because it’s too hard, and he’s a millionaire incumbent!

hill83

Being brutally honest for a minute.

I’m voting for whoever says my bins are getting collected. Any concerted effort in trying to get someone in based around anything to do with Cov city isn’t going anywhere. The majority of our population don’t give a shit as it is. I do give a shit, but I’m still not voting based on that. There’s more important things to worry about unfortunately.

hill83

And to add to that. Even if by some sort of miracle we got Mr West Terrace01 elected nothing would change anyway.
Sort the bins out m8

NorthernWisdom

I’m voting for whoever says my bins are getting collected. Any concerted effort in trying to get someone in based around anything to do with Cov city isn’t going anywhere. The majority of our population don’t give a shit as it is. I do give a shit, but I’m still not voting based on that. There’s more important things to worry about unfortunately.
Agreed, although if you pick one of the councillors who isn't overly active anyway, and campaign hard, you have a fair chance of at least making a dent.

hill83

Agreed, although if you pick one of the councillors who isn't overly active anyway, and campaign hard, you have a fair chance of at least making a dent.

True. Post above adds to what I’ve said and half answers this.

Liquid Gold

We'd only need to get one person elected to stop behind closed doors meetings and shady deals though. One person on the inside will leak everything we deserve to know.

shmmeee

Has anyone brought this up with their councillor at surgery? What was the response?

shmmeee

I sent mine an email a while back, one of the three responded, one is now deceased. Response was stock been instructed not to make a public comment, and they've taken thhat advice.

What would be the penalty for a councillor not complying with that I wonder? Would they be liable themselves?

ccfcway

It’s not mutually exclusive though. One MP may have schools or climate or development as a key policy, coupled with the standard health, bins, mowing the grass etc.

surely no one has voted due to a candidates bin policy ?

hill83

It’s not mutually exclusive though. One MP may have schools or climate or development as a key policy, coupled with the standard health, bins, mowing the grass etc.

surely no one has voted due to a candidates bin policy ?

That’s the point.

Users who are viewing this thread