The collective expertise of SBT required (1 Viewer)

Covkid1968#

It’s well known that this forum has a mixture of the following in equal proportions

1. Halfwits and simpletons (most seemingly oblivious to their condition)
2. People with Great insight and common sense
3. Thoughtfulness and caring
4. Comedy genius
5. Expertise on all subjects ..and I mean all

But no matter which group you belong to we all have an amount of knowledge about our great club going back decades. It is this I now call on to help solve my problem!!
I tried posting a picture before but misplaced it. But lockdown has helped me find it.
I have a football that I need to date.....I tried the club historian but it was not his thing... so my last hope is SBT.
Do you recognise any of these signatures /autographs so I can put a year/season to a football won years ago in an auction

Thanks all for any help you can give

Attachments

• 89628BAA-EA03-4E97-AB33-0C25CA8AA86E.jpeg
    89628BAA-EA03-4E97-AB33-0C25CA8AA86E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 249

clint van damme

It’s well known that this forum has a mixture of the following in equal proportions

4. Comedy genius

But no matter which group you belong to we all have an amount of knowledge about our great club going back decades. It is this I now call on to help solve my problem!!
I tried posting a picture before but misplaced it. But lockdown has helped me find it.
I have a football that I need to date.....I tried the club historian but it was not his thing... so my last hope is SBT.
Do you recognise any of these signatures /autographs so I can put a year/season to a football won years ago in an auction

I'd like to see a Venn diagram displaying 1 and 5

rob9872

Reading their website, I'd say that's a retro ball post 1990 under the new ownership. There is a story about the history. In fairness for an old looking ball, it does look in remarkably good condition and I'm not sure the signing of new balls was a thing back in the day, so I'd guess much newer, but have been known to be wrong before and on any given day, could comfortably fit into all 5 of the categories of poster listed above :)
http://www.seanarnoldantiques.co.uk/page19.html

Alan Dugdales Moustache

That autograph clearly says Dula Zulu, if that's any help.
I had Peter Hindley's autograph several times from the 1970s and for some reason he always wrote "Tits Wilderley"

Brighton Sky Blue

4. Comedy genius

Could you put up pictures of some of the other signatures?

Otis

ccfc1970.png

This I guess is around 1970-72. All white balls. Has to be 1960's at the very latest, but I am thinking maybe before that.

Can't make that signature out at all. Maybe if you show a few we might pick one up.

Covkid1968#

Sorry my internet crashed .... I’ll add some more

Attachments

• 19923BB2-948D-4117-9D2B-B5C4E4C1E8EC.jpeg
    19923BB2-948D-4117-9D2B-B5C4E4C1E8EC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 120

shmmeee

I'd like to see a Venn diagram displaying 1 and 5

giphy.gif

Covkid1968#

And some more....thanks for the responses guys

Attachments

• 60E561F4-CEA0-4BD0-BA18-809B6E68D79F.jpeg
    60E561F4-CEA0-4BD0-BA18-809B6E68D79F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 148

Sbarcher

View attachment 14852

This I guess is around 1970-72. All white balls. Has to be 1960's at the very latest, but I am thinking maybe before that.

Can't make that signature out at all. Maybe if you show a few we might pick one up.
Can't ever remember them playing in school socks.

shepardo01

Right, have done no research into the ball manufacturer but;
Looking at the picture and the hand in comparison, the ball does not look like a size 5, even deflated.
Suggests it could be a souvenir ball, old school style.
Also, looks like a marker/sharpie type signature, suggesting it *could* be an old style replica ball with a couple of recent (ish) signatures on it. No idea who though.....

Covkid1968#

Thought this was PUSB written incorrectly!!!

Attachments

• 91DCD2E3-72CD-4C99-A3B7-2E3B6F564FA7.jpeg
    91DCD2E3-72CD-4C99-A3B7-2E3B6F564FA7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88

Covkid1968#

One last one

Attachments

• 52E62B0C-D64D-4B1D-942A-131D5DF6481B.jpeg
    52E62B0C-D64D-4B1D-942A-131D5DF6481B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 121

Covkid1968#

The fact they have included numbers next to signatures also suggests these are recent...only really done this since squad numbers have been at thing....
That’s what I thought.... but I’m struggling to pick out any names. And why get modern players to sign a replica old football.... and then why auction it in front of an idiot like me who cant handle his beer and buys any old tat after a few beers.

Covkid1968#

Yep
Patrick Suffo (8)?
good call Jack!

Thanks SBT ..... not quite what I’d hoped but you lot nailed it as expected!!! PUSB

oscillatewildly

Yep

good call Jack!

Thanks SBT ..... not quite what I’d hoped but you lot nailed it as expected!!! PUSB
Where/when was the auction held? If it was a well known auction company how about archiving their past auctions for lot details? A lot of them do keep this info on their official sites.

shepardo01

That’s what I thought.... but I’m struggling to pick out any names. And why get modern players to sign a replica old football.... and then why auction it in front of an idiot like me who cant handle his beer and buys any old tat after a few beers.
Thought that the "vintage look" might have been more appealing than one of those cheap, plastic looking white autograph balls that you see knocking about.... it obviously worked too!...lol..

Covkid1968#

Thought that the "vintage look" might have been more appealing than one of those cheap, plastic looking white autograph balls that you see knocking about.... it obviously worked too!...lol..
I have vague recollections of paying £100 .... pfffffffffffff

TTG

Squad numbers were introduced early-mid 90s so would have to be pretty recent

Covkid1968#

Hmmm. Another appears to be 'Fred West' and if I'm not mistaken, another the 'Boston Strangler'. Where did you get this ball, Covkid?
Right place right time for Fred.... grabbed him just before he was cremated at Canley. You’ve rumbled me on the other autograph though ....that Boston strangler one is 100% fake, I asked a complete stranger from a small town in Lincs to sign it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread