The Club, The Owners, The Landlord and our Local Media (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

Is it me, or has our local media done a poor job on the whole rent-saga?

Wasn't it OSB who discovered the AVRO connection? And who had to tell the CT, who then ran it as an 'exclusive' in the next day's paper?

Didn't the (now former) editor of the CT once tweet about 'the biggest City story in years? Only in tomorrow's CT!' - that turned out to be more speculation about City buying back their half of the Arena. Suffice to say that didn't come to much and the Editor was later dismissed due to 'improper use of Twitter'.

As for CWR - Mr Linnell (good evening Stuart if you're reading this, bet you can't wait for Monday's post match phone-in!) has badly let down the rest of the staff there - regardless of what people think of ACL/SISU or 'which side their on' (surely that's CCFC?) - BBC staff have to fair and balanced and report both sides of the story, regardless of personal opinion. After all, we pay their wages via the licence fee.

More then that, there's been interviews where incorrect facts and statements haven't been challenged or questioned (Paul Fletcher interview comes to mind - and, to be fair, could the same be said for ACL's on-air interviews?). Also, why over the past year or so hasn't there been more effort by CT and CWR to get to the bottom of what the bloody heck is going on with our club? Is there a ban on investigative reporting in Coventry?

I swear I've read more facts and reliable info on SBT then I have read or heard from the local media. Even some of the national media (articles on the Daily Mail or Guardian websites) seem to be more clued up at times then media closer to home.

Our club needs to be sorted out. Perhaps our local media should perform the same self-examination.

TurkeyTrot

Is it me, or has our local media done a poor job on the whole rent-saga?

Wasn't it OSB who discovered the AVRO connection? And who had to tell the CT, who then ran it as an 'exclusive' in the next day's paper?

Didn't the (now former) editor of the CT once tweet about 'the biggest City story in years? Only in tomorrow's CT!' - that turned out to be more speculation about City buying back their half of the Arena. Suffice to say that didn't come to much and the Editor was later dismissed due to 'improper use of Twitter'.

As for CWR - Mr Linnell (good evening Stuart if you're reading this, bet you can't wait for Monday's post match phone-in!) has badly let down the rest of the staff there - regardless of what people think of ACL/SISU or 'which side their on' (surely that's CCFC?) - BBC staff have to fair and balanced and report both sides of the story, regardless of personal opinion. After all, we pay their wages via the licence fee.

More then that, there's been interviews where incorrect facts and statements haven't been challenged or questioned (Paul Fletcher interview comes to mind - and, to be fair, could the same be said for ACL's on-air interviews?). Also, why over the past year or so hasn't there been more effort by CT and CWR to get to the bottom of what the bloody heck is going on with our club? Is there a ban on investigative reporting in Coventry?

I swear I've read more facts and reliable info on SBT then I have read or heard from the local media. Even some of the national media (articles on the Daily Mail or Guardian websites) seem to be more clued up at times then media closer to home.

Our club needs to be sorted out. Perhaps our local media should perform the same self-examination.

Not going to disagree with you on all counts however, I would imagine they are trying to ensure they keep their avenues of contact open and not want bridges burnt or doors slammed when they want their interviews.
Moving away from the debacle at the moment. Can you ever recall one of the above criticizing a manager while he was in charge even when the majority of fans have called for his head?

luwalla

Trouble with CWR is that they get the same old people on after each match , so your not getting a true perspective if the fans view.. Your getting half a dozen people's view.

Don't want to get into the whole linnell argument again.. But he moaned on his show that his site wasn't really a true picture of all fans views.. But then he lets the same bunch on the post match phone in for his show each week! At least there are hundreds posting on here , not just Nigel and the other dozen callers... Half of which, in sure have been watchig a diffrent game!

The CableGuy

Not going to disagree with you on all counts however, I would imagine they are trying to ensure they keep their avenues of contact open and not want bridges burnt or doors slammed when they want their interviews.
Moving away from the debacle at the moment. Can you ever recall one of the above criticizing a manager while he was in charge even when the majority of fans have called for his head?

Not so much, but I'm sure that there's been cases when the Birmingham Post has let it known when they're not happy with whoever's in charge at Villa at the time.

Senior Vick from Alicante

If the local media had any thing about them now is the perfect time to ask questions, all though its 4 years too late. ACL will not ban them from the ground, and neither will the administrator. I am sure the fans will forgoe a 5 minute sound bite from the manager to get some real answers, but Mr Linell will only sit on his side of the fence, if he went down the John Gaunt route people would give him a bit more respect. The telegraph are just as culpable with poor reporting of second hand information instead of being propper journo's and digging out the real story's.

Steve.B50

As a relatively new-comer to forums I believe I get more information from SBT than I do from local media.

covhead1

i can't remember the last time i bought a newspaper it was that long ago and i really only listen to CWR on match day when i can't go.
so i only tune in to listen to the match and not really to get the latest off pitch news.
for that kind of stuff i find it on here and the internet in general.

blueskythinking

I think the point being made by this thread is spot on - we listen to susi's latest rep, then the council's latest rep and then ACL's and they all seem to tell me that it's this mess is the OTHER SIDE'S FAULT, and not there's - seems pretty straight forward for me to decide NO ONE'S TELLING THE TRUTH about the games being played out by these suits - i was sure that I heard the guy from the council on CWR say they/ACL/whoever took it to Court for 'the good of the club' to get new owners - even though he said they didn't have new owners lined up - well thank fuck for that kind of support then - ten points gone and no chance of promotion - but who's going to tell me what really going on?????
it should be surely be an independent press doing some digging?????

ps. When i buy by pie and pint i want most of my cash to go to the club

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

So would I but unfortunately thlub is SISU would all the revenue from the Ricoh put a dent in the 60 million debt no it would go into their pockets its loose change you all need to get real this is nothing to do with the F+B

RPHunt

As a relatively new-comer to forums I believe I get more information from SBT than I do from local media.

Exactly.

It's been a long time since I lived in Coventry and I have to rely on the internet for news of what is happening at the club. I gave up on the CET long ago (worst website in the world) so have been lurking here for a couple of years and have been most grateful for some of the news, analysis and rumours.

georgehudson

we, the mere supporters, are fed with morcels,
this whole facade is being played out via the courts,
doubtless the 'club' will be given a series of penalties,
but that will never hide the historic misdemeanors of previous incunbents,
if only,
those who have erred could face real justice,

Baginton

The local media report news, you want someone like Alex Thomson from Channel4, Martin Samuel of the Daily Mail or David Conn of the Guardian if you want journalistic rooting about.

Ive seen it at Luton, the same useless media non probing.

Users who are viewing this thread