The clock is ticking again Robins... (1 Viewer)

Otis

Can't blame Robins for the individual mistakes of the players yesterday.

Covstu

Whilst I totally disagree with the OP, it was the manner in which we were schooled yesterday. A game in which we needed/expected three points but got totally bitched. Fair play to Yeovil but I bet they couldn’t believe their eyes as much as we didn’t. We do need a MASSIVE reaction from the players and that would be down to Robins to pick their faces up from the floor and now need to go and get three points at county. We have just made it very difficult for ourselves now

Londonccfcfan

Robins is not at faukt for the individual errors.

But his tactics are questionable.

There isa very fine line, i think he almost pulled off a masterstroke with substitutions and whenwe made it 4 two the momentum and chances we created gilt edged in the next 15 mins should have gone level at least!

But in the in the tactics and formation very questionable.
Its a a fine line. Take the individual errors out and we win that game easy.

Esoterica

Robins is not at faukt for the individual errors.

But his tactics are questionable.

There isa very fine line, i think he almost pulled off a masterstroke with substitutions and whenwe made it 4 two the momentum and chances we created gilt edged in the next 15 mins should have gone level at least!

But in the in the tactics and formation very questionable.
Its a a fine line. Take the individual errors out and we win that game easy.
But you're always going to get individual errors at this level. Getting out of league 2 on the back of 1-0s for 3 quarters of a season is the ultimate defining questionable tactic for me. No coincidence we've had our best run of the season when we've had to be positive and get results and that with 4 key players missing. Yes there's a lot of outrage over yesterday's result but a lot of that is just down to the slight hope of autos getting crushed, the real damage to the autos was the slow bleed of points over the course of the season due to the negative tactics. You might find that this result is a timely kick up the arse and galvanises the team for the rest of the run in. Hopefully we'll then rampage the playoffs and this result and the questionable tactics end up irrelevant.

Mucca Mad Boys

But you're always going to get individual errors at this level. Getting out of league 2 on the back of 1-0s for 3 quarters of a season is the ultimate defining questionable tactic for me. No coincidence we've had our best run of the season when we've had to be positive and get results and that with 4 key players missing. Yes there's a lot of outrage over yesterday's result but a lot of that is just down to the slight hope of autos getting crushed, the real damage to the autos was the slow bleed of points over the course of the season due to the negative tactics. You might find that this result is a timely kick up the arse and galvanises the team for the rest of the run in. Hopefully we'll then rampage the playoffs and this result and the questionable tactics end up irrelevant.

Accrington Stanley seem to be alright with 16 wins by a 1 goal margin, 8 of those being 1-0 wins...

Our problem is that we don’t score enough goals, part of that is tactical. But, it is still the case that, aside from McNulty, Nazon and Jones are our second and third top goal scorers, Jones has been out since game 19 and Nazon left in January.

We need to work on attacking set-pieces for next season. Our defence hasn’t scored a single goal since Grimsby away. That is a problem that needs to be addressed in preseason, irrespective of what league we’re in.

fernandopartridge

I don't think Robins has set out to win 1-0 all season, it's just the nature of teams we face. They have often come to sit behind the ball and been difficult to break down.

Considering we conceded 6 goals yesterday and our midfield was overrun, I think Robins' so called 'negative' tactics are vindicated a little bit.

Hugh Jarse

Robins is 'Marmite' to me but who the hell wants to come to us?

The muppets on the pitch must take 90% of the crap.

Last edited:

Captain Dart

BackRoomRummermill

QUOTE="rupert_bear, post: 1510525, member: 4885"]What will the general reaction be if we fail to qualify for the play-offs ?[/QUOTE]

It’s not the failing to make the play offs but the manner in which we fail

Not good losing 6 -2 against a team at HOME with nothing to play for themselves .

If our manner continues like this and Robins without a plan I believe he needs to be ejected .

However let’s hope it’s a blip , he has done well recently , so hopeful .

steve82

Accrington Stanley seem to be alright with 16 wins by a 1 goal margin, 8 of those being 1-0 wins...

Our problem is that we don’t score enough goals, part of that is tactical. But, it is still the case that, aside from McNulty, Nazon and Jones are our second and third top goal scorers, Jones has been out since game 19 and Nazon left in January.

We need to work on attacking set-pieces for next season. Our defence hasn’t scored a single goal since Grimsby away. That is a problem that needs to be addressed in preseason, irrespective of what league we’re in.

I listed a set piece man in the summer as a essential player to help get out of League two, we signed Andreu who looked like he’d do that but that was cruelly taken away early.

I don’t feel anyone has been able to provide decent set piece balls all season, JJ was often poor and never beat the first man and this hasn’t improved with Kelly or Shipley over the season.

We’ve players who could and should be a threat at corners with the right ball in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

I listed a set piece man in the summer as a essential player to help get out of League two, we signed Andreu who looked like he’d do that but that was cruelty taken away early.

I don’t feel anyone has been able to provide decent set piece balls all season, JJ was often poor and never beat the first man and this hasn’t improved with Kelly or Shipley over the season.

We’ve players who could and should be a threat at corners with the right ball in.

100% agreed mate. However, it’s not just the delivery that’s the problem. We don’t really have anyone attacking the ball from corners — there’s been a few examples; Davies v Stoke and JCH v Brighton. In the league, however, we mainly score direct FKs I.e Shipley + McNulty v Luton (both games).

Luton’s defenders, between them, have got 15+ goals this season. That’s basically a prolific striker over a season. At the RICOH, they scored twice (one being offside) from FKs out of nowhere. It meant we had to stand off them in our half else we risked getting pressured from set piece. However, we don’t put teams under pressure from set piece

Being able to get goals from nowhere is the difference between winning or drawing a game you’re struggling in.

I’m not saying the defence needs to score 15 odd goals a season, but, 1 goal in 40 games between 8 odd players is simply not good enough!

Hobo

QUOTE="rupert_bear, post: 1510525, member: 4885"]What will the general reaction be if we fail to qualify for the play-offs ?

Not good losing 6 -2 against a team at HOME with nothing to play for themselves .

If our manner continues like this and Robins without a plan I believe he needs to be ejected .

However let’s hope it’s a blip , he has done well recently , so hopeful .[/QUOTE]

Your mistake is knee jerking when we still have everything to play for. You are just planting seeds for an I told you so. Thank God you are not our manager; capitulating at every set back.

steve82

100% agreed mate. However, it’s not just the delivery that’s the problem. We don’t really have anyone attacking the ball from corners — there’s been a few examples; Davies v Stoke and JCH v Brighton. In the league, however, we mainly score direct FKs I.e Shipley + McNulty v Luton (both games).

Luton’s defenders, between them, have got 15+ goals this season. That’s basically a prolific striker over a season. At the RICOH, they scored twice (one being offside) from FKs out of nowhere. It meant we had to stand off them in our half else we risked getting pressured from set piece. However, we don’t put teams under pressure from set piece

Being able to get goals from nowhere is the difference between winning or drawing a game you’re struggling in.

I’m not saying the defence needs to score 15 odd goals a season, but, 1 goal in 40 games between 8 odd players is simply not good enough!

It’s certainly a issue and others have the luxury that call in them types of goals, we’ve known it all season but it’s difficult to address everything in one swoop.

We’ve had many issues over the season tho and aspects from tactics, individual errors, collective errors to bad luck on the injury front however were still in the hunt so plenty to be happy with this season and range of positives to take forward depending how the season finishes and are in a far better place on the playing front than 12 months ago going into the summer preparations to take on another promotion push from this crazy league or tackle league one.

Hobo

Your mistake is knee jerking when we still have everything to play for. You are just planting seeds for an I told you so. Thank God you are not our manager; capitulating at every set back.[/QUOTE]

Throwing toys out of the pram and stamping your feet solves nothing. We need to look ahead not backwards.

AVWskyblue

Instead of Barrett for Haynes it should have been Shipley. Then instead of Reid sitting back as a midfielder alongside Doyle he could have pushed on and Shipley could have sat, then we would have been better defensively but still have the change of formation.
That makes a lot of sense Nick

Sent from my 5010X using Tapatalk

BackRoomRummermill

Your mistake is knee jerking when we still have everything to play for. You are just planting seeds for an I told you so. Thank God you are not our manager; capitulating at every set back.[/QUOTE]

How daft you are , the only person planting any seeds is Robins himself .
I could not give a tuppeny fuck about how clever or not I am or you are , or indeed if I was right or wrong

Go and find someone that actually gives a shit

You sound like someone who is a bit insecure

Oh and as for stamping feet that is definitely not me , is it you ?

fernandopartridge

Your mistake is knee jerking when we still have everything to play for. You are just planting seeds for an I told you so. Thank God you are not our manager; capitulating at every set back.
Jamesy Cotter said:
How daft you are , the only person planting any seeds is Robins himself .
I could not give a tuppeny fuck about how clever or not I am or you are , or indeed if I was right or wrong

Go and find someone that actually gives a shit

You sound like someone who is a bit insecure

Oh and as for stamping feet that is definitely not me , is it you ?
We're still in the play off places Jamesy

Londonccfcfan

I hope I’m wrong, but if we just miss out on play offs. Then Robins has to go. He will be sacked by the board. Plain and simple.

He has the budget, actually sod the budget, judge by what we see on the pitch, the players at our disposal, the options MR has. If we don’t make play offs then it has to be classed as major f up of all proportions.

Graham Alexander got sacked whilst they are in the play offs. 5th. But if the board feel you are under achieving then it’s curtains.

I’m afraid if with this squad (yes we have had injuries) we should be in top 7 as a minimum.

Irish Sky Blue

I hope I’m wrong, but if we just miss out on play offs. Then Robins has to go. He will be sacked by the board. Plain and simple.

He has the budget, actually sod the budget, judge by what we see on the pitch, the players at our disposal, the options MR has. If we don’t make play offs then it has to be classed as major f up of all proportions.

Graham Alexander got sacked whilst they are in the play offs. 5th. But if the board feel you are under achieving then it’s curtains.

I’m afraid if with this squad (yes we have had injuries) we should be in top 7 as a minimum.
I usually agree with most of what you post. However we totally disagree on this. We have been around, mostly in, the play off positions all season. If we don’t go up then rather than starting all over again for the umpteenth time, let him build on this season and this team.

Londonccfcfan

I usually agree with most of what you post. However we totally disagree on this. We have been around, mostly in, the play off positions all season. If we don’t go up then rather than starting all over again for the umpteenth time, let him build on this season and this team.
I’m still seething mate and just cannot get yesterday’s result out my system. I’m being very harsh on MR I’m still at post mortem stage. I’m looking too much at yesterday’s one result. I need to get a grip I’m losing the fucking plot. Can’t make sense of this season or league.

Otis

We should.

Not convinced Robins will be sacked though if we fall short.

BackRoomRummermill

We should.

Not convinced Robins will be sacked though if we fall short.

Cov are doomed if there is no promotion

The amount of debt alone will drown the homeless club

Players who are any good will be sold

All this give Robins more time is crap , he has had a good chance and by fuck if he doesn’t take it the fans will be screwed

Any half wit can see it

Mucca Mad Boys

It’s certainly a issue and others have the luxury that call in them types of goals, we’ve known it all season but it’s difficult to address everything in one swoop.

We’ve had many issues over the season tho and aspects from tactics, individual errors, collective errors to bad luck on the injury front however were still in the hunt so plenty to be happy with this season and range of positives to take forward depending how the season finishes and are in a far better place on the playing front than 12 months ago going into the summer preparations to take on another promotion push from this crazy league or tackle league one.

I think we need to put this season into perspective.

We’ve signed, what? 15 odd players? We've totally rebuilt our squad from the bottom up. How many players have remained in the squad from last season? Willis, Burge, Haynes/Stokes and now Reid? I think Robins has signed the right kind of players to get the job done - most of our signings have been very good. Not many teams get promoted back to L1 at the first time of asking; Donny were the first to do it in quite some time. Bradford, Luton, Plymouth and Pompey all had to spend a few seasons before they got it right. The squad that got us relegated was simply not equipped to take us back up. At least now we've got our 'core' players under contract now.

We have been particularly unlucky in regards to injuries, season ending injuries to Andreu and Jones. Jones was on fire this season, and I think he's the missing piece in the team at the minute - we simply haven't managed to fill that RM spot since his injury. I honestly think he's the difference between playoffs and automatics. The only silver lining is that we'll probably keep him for a while now because of such a bad injury.

I think if we make JCH's loan a permanent, Jones and Andreu coming back -- it'll be a completely different side stylistically. I think we'd roughly need about 4-5 players; a striker, 1-2 wingers, a left back and probably a CM. Then automatics have to be minimum requirement (assuming we're in L2).

higgs

I'd give robin's another season in league two if he can add a few in the summer and ship a few out we should be automatic promotion contenders next season. It takes time to build a squad. If he does go in the summer I'd like to see Graham Alexander get the job

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Grendel

I don’t think he’ll be sacked

rupert_bear

He won’t be sacked of that I’m certain, but failure to at the very minimum to get to the play offs will be seen by supporters as a massive failure and it isn’t just the Yeovil debacle. Our squad is as good as any in this division. The managers obsession in the first part of the season to play 7 in defence home or away mystifies me and imo cost us points and while I agree Jodie Jones has been missed it’s since he got injured the manager had to change the format of his team and we became more consistent.
If we stay in this division I think our gates will fall further, but he won’t be sacked.

steve82

I think we need to put this season into perspective.

We’ve signed, what? 15 odd players? We've totally rebuilt our squad from the bottom up. How many players have remained in the squad from last season? Willis, Burge, Haynes/Stokes and now Reid? I think Robins has signed the right kind of players to get the job done - most of our signings have been very good. Not many teams get promoted back to L1 at the first time of asking; Donny were the first to do it in quite some time. Bradford, Luton, Plymouth and Pompey all had to spend a few seasons before they got it right. The squad that got us relegated was simply not equipped to take us back up. At least now we've got our 'core' players under contract now.

We have been particularly unlucky in regards to injuries, season ending injuries to Andreu and Jones. Jones was on fire this season, and I think he's the missing piece in the team at the minute - we simply haven't managed to fill that RM spot since his injury. I honestly think he's the difference between playoffs and automatics. The only silver lining is that we'll probably keep him for a while now because of such a bad injury.

I think if we make JCH's loan a permanent, Jones and Andreu coming back -- it'll be a completely different side stylistically. I think we'd roughly need about 4-5 players; a striker, 1-2 wingers, a left back and probably a CM. Then automatics have to be minimum requirement (assuming we're in L2).

100% in agreement with that.

steve82

Like Irish sky blue said, I generally have similar views to you but not on this one. Monday cut deep in us all but that’s the players collectively destructing not down to the manager.

Graham Alexander was a strange one but I think there was unrest between him and the players what triggered that sacking.

However this season comes to a close I personally think we’re stronger going into the summer and next campaign with MR once again.

Users who are viewing this thread