The Championship's well run clubs (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueGuy

... Apparently we now considered amongst them! What ever your feelings regarding the owners, its certainly nice to be on the right side of this list for a change.

shmmeee

My thinking went along a similar route after posting. Would we be where we are without Robins? Probably not.

That said, we do at least seem to be employing a sustainable model now, which gives me more confidence in the long term future of the club

Aren’t we in as much debt as before Sisu took over with more added each year?

pusbccfc

We are in the top 10 on a small budget. In that sense we are ran fairly well.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Aren’t we in as much debt as before Sisu took over with more added each year?
I don't know if it is as high as when they arrived but it is certainly substantial and increasing. The level of interest charged is high, though i'm not sure what you'd realistically compare it to if trying to qork out if we're being exploited or not.

I haven't read the article but i'd have thought we are being run 'better than most of the shitshows in the division' as opposed to 'well'.

shmmeee

I don't know if it is as high as when they arrived but it is certainly substantial and increasing. The level of interest charged is high, though i'm not sure what you'd realistically compare it to if trying to qork out if we're being exploited or not.

I haven't read the article but i'd have thought we are being run 'better than most of the shitshows in the division' as opposed to 'well'.

It was more the word “sustainable” I had an issue with. We’re about as sustainable as my daughter is self sufficient, in that she is until I get sick of her and make her actually support herself. Not a worry while she’s six, but when she’s thirty I may have a very different view. And of course I have a plan to ensure my daughter does get to self sufficiency before then, which I’ve not seen from Sisu.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

It was more the word “sustainable” I had an issue with. We’re about as sustainable as my daughter is self sufficient, in that she is until I get sick of her and make her actually support herself. Not a worry while she’s six, but when she’s thirty I may have a very different view. And of course I have a plan to ensure my daughter does get to self sufficiency before then, which I’ve not seen from Sisu.

Id have to go looking for some comparisons across the division but i suspect loads of teams need money putting in from the ownership, cant see many being sustainable from that point of view. I find the lack of a clear long-term plan for the future troubling too, how long is a hedge-fund content to cover losses at high interest rates? Or is that the plan now? If so, doesn't suggest we're ever likely to be set up for 'success'

steve cooper

Id have to go looking for some comparisons across the division but i suspect loads of teams need money putting in from the ownership, cant see many being sustainable from that point of view. I find the lack of a clear long-term plan for the future troubling too, how long is a hedge-fund content to cover losses at high interest rates? Or is that the plan now? If so, doesn't suggest we're ever likely to be set up for 'success'
While they are paying their investors a much higher interest rate than they can get elsewhere, I guess they are relying on them never asking for their investment back

Grendel

It reads like things changed when Boddy came in.

That should get someone going at least....

Well yes we moved to Birmingham - Daves speciality is moving clubs around

rob9872

I was expecting this to be a very short list. The fact we're considered among them is beyond parody.

christonabike

Sisu can load as much debt as they like on the club. It doesnt matter what they say it owes them, the club will have a value and thats it. Robins has worked miracles and steadily setting long term foundations. Long may he continue.

Grendel

Not convinced 'we chat about building a new stadium now and again' is a reason for a tick in the 'well run' box...

A well run club that has no assets and no leaseholder value. Yeah how convincing

Skyblueweeman

List Boddys achievements

I'm not his biographer.

I did however mention on another thread the other day how I feel the club has progressed in his time here. Is he responsible for all of it - no. Should he take some credit as the CEO - yes. Has he/the club go everything right in the last 5 years - no? Are we as a football club (not a business) in a better position than 5 years ago - yes.

Crack open your spreadsheet - you should find it in seconds.

Skyblueweeman

Astonishing turn around really
Don't know why anyone would have it in for Boddy
He's only an employee and on balance has done a good job

'Yeah but there was this one time where he did a bad thing at another club, and he was solely responsible for St Andrews and he's not paid off our debts yet...."

Some people will always find the negatives. Fair enough.

skybluesam66

we know there is the debt and the interest etc - but there is no doubt that the model is a lot better than it has been and a lot better than other clubs . Very few football clubs are run well, but we are certainly nowhere near the relegation zone

We are certainly in a better position now than we were when SISU took over - i guess against that, is the competition has moved on in terms of quality and spending power etc which unfortunately leaves us further away from the promised land

Grendel

we know there is the debt and the interest etc - but there is no doubt that the model is a lot better than it has been and a lot better than other clubs . Very few football clubs are run well, but we are certainly nowhere near the relegation zone

We are certainly in a better position now than we were when SISU took over - i guess against that, is the competition has moved on in terms of quality and spending power etc which unfortunately leaves us further away from the promised land

In what ways are we in a better position?

Grendel

Astonishing turn around really
Don't know why anyone would have it in for Boddy
He's only an employee and on balance has done a good job

He has a title of CEO - that’s a bit more than just an employee

Grendel

I'm not his biographer.

I did however mention on another thread the other day how I feel the club has progressed in his time here. Is he responsible for all of it - no. Should he take some credit as the CEO - yes. Has he/the club go everything right in the last 5 years - no? Are we as a football club (not a business) in a better position than 5 years ago - yes.

Crack open your spreadsheet - you should find it in seconds.

So fisher I assume should take even more credit?

Skyblueweeman

So fisher I assume should take even more credit?

I've not got the time nor the desire to apportion percentages but on said thread the other day, @NorthernWisdom asked me directly if Fisher should take some credit as well to which I replied, yes, he should.

MR isn't the only person responsible for the last few years on the pitch - he's got a great team around him that have helped.
Boddy isn't the only person responsible for what I, and seemingly a few others see, as the club being run in a better manner in the last few years. Others involved in the day to day decision making of the club or the running of the club, deserve some credit as well. Fisher falls into that bracket.

MalcSB

I read an article today that said Burnley were being charged 9% interest on their loans.

Happy_Martian

Well yes we moved to Birmingham - Daves speciality is moving clubs around

But it wasn't Boddy's fault we moved to Northampton. Fisher was the culprit then. Whoever was at fault for forcing the departure, at least Boddy got us a decent ground closer than The Cobblers.

rob9872

But it wasn't Boddy's fault we moved to Northampton. Fisher was the culprit then. Whoever was at fault for forcing the departure, at least Boddy got us a decent ground closer than The Cobblers.
Tbf that was a very last minute thing. I had very close info at the time that it 100% wasn't going to be Birmingham and that came from Boddy. Whatever the rights and wrongs of what happened (and I'm not getting into the pissing contest between you, G or anyone one else) I do know that we already had an agreement with Burton to share that had been sanctioned by the EFL. Goodness only knows where we would be now had that happened.

Users who are viewing this thread