The CCFC Curse vs Shite Owners - A Personal Ramble (1 Viewer)

Diogenes

In the light of yesterdays champions league final win against Real Incester a lot of us are in reflective mood about just how far we have progressed the last 6 years. I think we are in the healthiest position the club has been in, probably since the start of the prem days.

I started following City in the mid/late 90s. My first game was a pre season friendly against a Spanish team in 1999 - Espanyol i think? Then started regularly going in the 99/00 season. My first full season was a mix of excitement, hope, and ultimately disappointment as our away day hoodoo hamstrung our league position and the promising future we saw in Keane was snatched away.

That failure to win away from home was the start of a long list of things that made me come to the conclusion that we were cursed.

You know the score - if a team is on a bad run and comes up against us, we are guaranteed to gift them the three points. This has happened repeatedly and so disproportionate - when did we ever do the same to others?

You know everything that's happened since 2001 - you know what rotten "luck" we have bad.

On a personal level - I live up north and after the 2001 relegation attended 6-10 games a year. Between 2001 and 2009 I didn't see city win a single game in the flesh. It was soul destroying.

I saw mediocre clubs bypass us, and get promoted to the prem multiple times whilst we just festered. They made it look so easy, why not us?

Is city just a club for losers? Am I the loser? Am I the Curse?

These were the thoughts constantly going through my mind about football and it had an effect, I had to take a step back. I didn't bother with football at all for years and I just blocked it out for the most part.

Since then I watch city from afar, the people I used to go with are dead or too ill to go now. I've watched the Wembley finals and soaked up the success of the past few seasons as an armchair fan.

The Robins revolution has reinvigorated my passion, but beyond that it's not just what Robins and Co are doing on the pitch. It's how the club are being governed. I'm sure King has many faults, but for the first time in all of my life as a city fan it feels like the people running the club are doing so with its interests at heart.

Even just the retro shirts that have come out, they are a way to connect with our past. The club has no museum, the stuff in the shop until this year was tat only, we could have been founded in 2020 with the total lack of heritage displayed. Theres a long way to go, but thats clearly changing. Then there's the statue, the training ground, the signings strategy....So much positive long term thinking.

All of it in complete opposite to how the club has been run the last 30 years. I think what I'm trying to say is that only since King has come in, am I starting to understand the colossal scale of mismanagement (and worse) that took place at least from the mid 90s onwards.

The way the club and its fans have been treated is nothing short of criminal. Though that surely, is what has made it what it is today. Would we have the second highest away following in the league, or 25k home average without our abusive past? I think not.

So when Leicester, Leeds, Sunderland disparage us and refer to it as our cup final I cant help but smile. After all, maybe it is? Since looking into the abyss every game at this level is a bonus, we know how quickly that can be taken away from us. So let's enjoy the ride whilst it lasts.

Should Reading ever come back from their current predicament and be hammering us in a few years, I certainly won't be looking down my nose at them.

Skyblue Bangkok

In the light of yesterdays champions league final win against Real Incester a lot of us are in reflective mood about just how far we have progressed the last 6 years. I think we are in the healthiest position the club has been in, probably since the start of the prem days.

I started following City in the mid/late 90s. My first game was a pre season friendly against a Spanish team in 1999 - Espanyol i think? Then started regularly going in the 99/00 season. My first full season was a mix of excitement, hope, and ultimately disappointment as our away day hoodoo hamstrung our league position and the promising future we saw in Keane was snatched away.

That failure to win away from home was the start of a long list of things that made me come to the conclusion that we were cursed.

You know the score - if a team is on a bad run and comes up against us, we are guaranteed to gift them the three points. This has happened repeatedly and so disproportionate - when did we ever do the same to others?

You know everything that's happened since 2001 - you know what rotten "luck" we have bad.

On a personal level - I live up north and after the 2001 relegation attended 6-10 games a year. Between 2001 and 2009 I didn't see city win a single game in the flesh. It was soul destroying.

I saw mediocre clubs bypass us, and get promoted to the prem multiple times whilst we just festered. They made it look so easy, why not us?

These were the thoughts constantly going through my mind about football and it had an effect, I had to take a step back. I didn't bother with football at all for years and I just blocked it out for the most part.

Since then I watch city from afar, the people I used to go with are dead or too ill to go now. I've watched the Wembley finals and soaked up the success of the past few seasons as an armchair fan.

The Robins revolution has reinvigorated my passion, but beyond that it's not just what Robins and Co are doing on the pitch. It's how the club are being governed. I'm sure King has many faults, but for the first time in all of my life as a city fan it feels like the people running the club are doing so with its interests at heart.

Even just the retro shirts that have come out, they are a way to connect with our past. The club has no museum, the stuff in the shop until this year was tat only, we could have been founded in 2020 with the total lack of heritage displayed. Theres a long way to go, but thats clearly changing. Then there's the statue, the training ground, the signings strategy....So much positive long term thinking.

All of it in complete opposite to how the club has been run the last 30 years. I think what I'm trying to say is that only since King has come in, am I starting to understand the colossal scale of mismanagement (and worse) that took place at least from the mid 90s onwards.

The way the club and its fans have been treated is nothing short of criminal. Though that surely, is what has made it what it is today. Would we have the second highest away following in the league, or 25k home average without our abusive past? I think not.

So when Leicester, Leeds, Sunderland disparage us and refer to it as our cup final I cant help but smile. After all, maybe it is? Since looking into the abyss every game at this level is a bonus, we know how quickly that can be taken away from us. So let's enjoy the ride whilst it lasts.

Should Reading ever come back from their current predicament and be hammering us in a few years, I certainly won't be looking down my nose at them.
Great post, for those Lesta fans going on about our " Cup final " you try playing 3 seasons away from your home city.

HadjiChippo

Might have some details wrong as it’s been years but we got relegated from the Prem at the worst time. Basically missed out on the big, big foreign tv deals that were around the corner, huge influx of cash and massively helpful parachute payments to stop relegated clubs going broke(05ish?). We also dropped down before Prem would give solidarity payments to the lower leagues.

We got relegated from what was about to become a billion pound league and financial juggernaut, to a million pound league that was about to get fucked over by ITV digital going under. Monumentally bad timing.

We obviously didn’t help ourselves with poor signings, poor managers, poor decisions etc., in the years that followed (sacked Eric Black for Peter Reid who gave his mate Tim Sherwood a massive pay day at our expense)

Last edited:

Flying Fokker

Espanyol. Dear oh dear. That was a bugger.

covcity4life

Amazing post OP

And it does make me think. For so long I just accepted my fate as cov fan. I support a cursed club. I don't get to enjoy nice moments. That's for other clubs and their lucky fans.

Now I'm starting to realise what we missed out. Rather than be regretful for last 20 years I'm just trying to be thankful it's happening again in my lifetime

Skyblue Bangkok

We played a pre season friendly against Benfica I think ( I was there ) when big Ron was manger. They beat us something like 7-2 ,they played with no recognized forward and our defence didn't know what to do as their midfield broke with pace and artistry. Think it was also the day we announced the signing of a Croatian player who did not play for us and then joined Real Madrid .

Diogenes

Amazing post OP

And it does make me think. For so long I just accepted my fate as cov fan. I support a cursed club. I don't get to enjoy nice moments. That's for other clubs and their lucky fans.

Now I'm starting to realise what we missed out. Rather than be regretful for last 20 years I'm just trying to be thankful it's happening again in my lifetime

I remember those post relegation years as being what felt like a parade of humiliation. Remember this one being particularly hard to take.

What really hit me, is that city seemed to have a default league position (just above relegation zone) whatever level we dropped to. At one point I really thought we would drop out of the league entirely. The club was in a coma.

Whether or not we go up or not too isn't really the point either. If we do go up, theres a good chance we do a burnley or sheff utd. Obviously i do want us back in the prem, but but for the first time we have got our club back, it's competitive, and is finding its soul again. That's what's important- and what will keep us going in the years to come.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240114_160004_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114_160004_Samsung Internet.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 56

slowpoke

We scored first too Dion I think then Benfica gave us a football lesson, they had Rui Costa and Jao Pinta gave us a goal start and ripped us to bits, I think they might have scored 8.

As an aside I was a steward on the players tunnel at the time and Pinta gave me his hat.

Skyblue Bangkok

We scored first too Dion I think then Benfica gave us a football lesson, they had Rui Costa and Jao Pinta gave us a goal start and ripped us to bits, I think they might have scored 8.

As an aside I was a steward on the players tunnel at the time and Pinta gave me his hat.
What a player Rui Costa was , I was at the game in Lisbon when he scored a belter for Portugal v England. Dion missed a pen in that friendly too. You may be right that it was 8-2.

Skyblue Bangkok

What a player Rui Costa was , I was at the game in Lisbon when he scored a belter for Portugal v England. Dion missed a pen in that friendly too. You may be right that it was 8-2.
Actually it as 7-2 just saw some of the goals on a terrible quality YouTube footage of the game. We also played Ajax at HR in a pre season friendly and they bought loads of fans along

letsallsingtogether

We played a pre season friendly against Benfica I think ( I was there ) when big Ron was manger. They beat us something like 7-2 ,they played with no recognized forward and our defence didn't know what to do as their midfield broke with pace and artistry. Think it was also the day we announced the signing of a Croatian player who did not play for us and then joined Real Madrid .
Robert Jarni

TomRad85

The owner and the manager are big, but I think almost as important is no longer playing second fiddle to a parasite Rugby team in a ground made for us. I kind of hated going there all the time it belonged to them and their demise brings me almost as much joy as our rise. Its like a weight has been lifted from around the neck of the club and the fact those wank stain owners of ours pissed off around the same as Wasps died was the icing on the cake.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

I remember their shooting practice before the game and knew we were in trouble.

Adge

The owner and the manager are big, but I think almost as important is no longer playing second fiddle to a parasite Rugby team in a ground made for us. I kind of hated going there all the time it belonged to them and their demise brings me almost as much joy as our rise. Its like a weight has been lifted from around the neck of the club and the fact those wank stain owners of ours pissed off around the same as Wasps died was the icing on the cake.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Particularly the manager. I remember when he first came back and we were at a fans meeting with him at Warwick University. I asked him what has he got that others didn’t have (managers) when trying to clean the corridors of the cancer and stench of negativity and losing mentality that has haunted us for years?
He replied that it’s amazing what can be achieved if everyone is on the same hymn sheet and pulling in the same direction…….,,

LastGarrison

Actually it as 7-2 just saw some of the goals on a terrible quality YouTube footage of the game. We also played Ajax at HR in a pre season friendly and they bought loads of fans along
Either my memory is deceiving me (absolutely could be) or our definition of ‘loads’ is different as I seem to remember they didn’t bring many but the ones that they did bring were loud.

In fact I remember an old boy with a scarf around his wrist singing at us in English about how shit our support was.

Just googled it. 24 years ago. 🙈

Gynnsthetonic

Either my memory is deceiving me (absolutely could be) or our definition of ‘loads’ is different as I seem to remember they didn’t bring many but the ones that they did bring were loud.

In fact I remember an old boy with a scarf around his wrist singing at us in English about how shit our support was.

Just googled it. 24 years ago. 🙈
Wasn't it Feyenoord we played

South West Sky Blue

We were 2-1 up and it ended 7-2. Could have been 15.
Think we were 1up, 2-1 down then levelled it. We got a bit “physical” so they pissed all over us (from memory).

I was a teenager and had a family friend get me in the player’s bar afterwards. An adult tried to educate me that Benfica had all these amazing players whose signatures I could get. Instead I harassed Andy Ducros and every Cov player for theirs.
Still no regrets!

kg82

I was also at that game. Quite young, so I only really remember it was a rout. Pretty sure Isaias was playing for us. But it was about 2/3 years before the Jarni transfer - Strachan was manager then.

In reply to the OP, that is quite some personal stat about not seeing us win in the flesh for 8 years! But, I can beat it! I’ve been supporting city since the early 90s. First game was away at Forest around 87 or 88, very young and didn’t particularly like all the noise!! Next went for my first game at HR against Luton, which we won 5-0, and I was hooked from then. That was 92, I think. So 32 years. In all that time, my Dad and I have been to a number of away games, impossible to remember how many exactly, but must be bearing on 50. Out of all of those away games with my Dad, I have seen us win zero!! That includes in the L1 winning season! I’ve been on my own and with mates and seen us win loads of times… but not with my Dad! Not one for superstitions, but I’m absolutely certain we shouldn’t ever go to another away match together ever again!

junglej13

Excellent post. The only thing I'd also add is the improvements to the match day experience. There have been gradual improvements since we returned to the Arena post COVID but the last few home games last season and all of this it really seems like people are getting hooked again and genuinely loving the whole experience.

Skyblue Bangkok

Excellent post. The only thing I'd also add is the improvements to the match day experience. There have been gradual improvements since we returned to the Arena post COVID but the last few home games last season and all of this it really seems like people are getting hooked again and genuinely loving the whole experience.
Benfica game was in 1996 , and Jarni was " signed " on the performance of his 1998 games games. Read an article saying his family preferred to move to Spain plus but hard to resist the temptation of Real Madrid.

JohnWH

I remember those post relegation years as being what felt like a parade of humiliation. Remember this one being particularly hard to take.

What really hit me, is that city seemed to have a default league position (just above relegation zone) whatever level we dropped to. At one point I really thought we would drop out of the league entirely. The club was in a coma.

Whether or not we go up or not too isn't really the point either. If we do go up, theres a good chance we do a burnley or sheff utd. Obviously i do want us back in the prem, but but for the first time we have got our club back, it's competitive, and is finding its soul again. That's what's important- and what will keep us going in the years to come.

Definitely since I've been following for decades.
Seemed normal I suppose. Anticipate a relegation battle every season--even now still which might just show the psychology it still holds. Actually winning games looking forward rather than expecting the drop, will continue to take some time to get used-to

Happy_Martian

We participated in a preseason 4 team tournament in Birmingham mid 90s. Ourselves and Birmingham were joined by Real Mallorca and an Italian club (may have been Brescia). Some very good football on display. Over the two days, Real and Brescia ended up battling for 3rd and 4th places. Birmingham fans took to supporting Brescia so we began chanting for Real. Great fun (why don't we do this any more ? Prem clubs do) and the last day, Real players came over and applauded the Cov fans. No animosity, just a celebration of football.

Can't remember the final result. Either we or Birmingham won but it wasn't about winning or losing.

Users who are viewing this thread