The Brewer and Baker (1 Viewer)

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Yeah the Vauxhall Tavern was flats when I moved round there. 1992.

Just looking at the buildings from the outside, the student accommodation version of the Vauxhall Tavern looks like a palace compared to what they have done to the Brewer and Baker. The Brewer and Baker was never great looking, but now it looks properly crap - like the house where the Young Ones would have lived in 1980.

The Elastic Inn has gone too...

Brylowes

As a kid my dad would take me up I always remember how busy football was back then around Highfield Road...the sky blue tavern was it that the pub on the corner was called ? Always mobbed
Not sure which pub the first pic was taken in but the second was taken in the Sky Blue Tavern (Mercers Arms)
taken before the opening fixture of the season 2000-01, lost 3 - 1 to Middlesbrough.
Im on the far right of both pics, pretty apt for a loony leftie :giggle:
Great memories.
1609719037225.jpeg CF6EC74E-2718-47D8-928C-87C6A54981A0.jpeg

fernandopartridge

This forum cracks me up; reminds me of the banter in the old days before the match at the Brewer with my Dad, my brother and about 30 mates and the odd away fan who dared. Actually it reminds me more of the banter after the game - the more beers the more it sounded like this forum. Anybody else used to drink there ? Great pork and apple sauce rolls and a pool table right in the middle of the crowded bar; a real football pub
Yep, loved a pork batch in there. I really miss the array of pubs around Highfield Rd.

Last time I was in the Brewer was 10 years or maybe longer ago. I came home with some cheap aftershave I'd obviously bought from somebody

cc84cov

The first pic was actually taken in Cov city center later that night, if you look at my trousers you can see I’m soaking wet on account of my mates having just thrown me in a fountain 😳 found out later I’d cracked my shoulder in the process Lol
View attachment 18116View attachment 18117
Not many of us around the town back then that didn’t end up in that fountain weekends lol Coventry was just a different place back then we actually had nightlife it’s shocking how it’s all fell away.

ccfc1234

As a kid my dad would take me up I always remember how busy football was back then around Highfield Road...the sky blue tavern was it that the pub on the corner was called ? Always mobbed
The benefit of inner city grounds. Creates a atmosphere and pub crawl.possibility

clint van damme

No one mentioned the Spittlemoor. Remember going in there on a Tuesday or Wednesday night after a youth game and rolling out at 4 in the morning.

fernandopartridge

No one mentioned the Spittlemoor. Remember going in there on a Tuesday or Wednesday night after a youth game and rolling out at 4 in the morning.

I've been in there for a late one midweek as well. Used to get the ladies of the night coming in for shelter.

All of the below pubs were I'd say within a similar walking distance from the Ricoh to the Wheatsheaf or around 10-15 minutes say.

Rose and Crown
Hastings
Old Ball
Sky Blue Tavern
Old Red Horse
Binley Oak
Brewer and Baker
Vauxhall Tavern
Spittlemoor
Foresters
Elastic Inn
Gosford Arms
Hertford Arms / Phat Larry's
Hand & Heart
Beer Engine
Peacock
Hare and Hounds

Brylowes

I've been in there for a late one midweek as well. Used to get the ladies of the night coming in for shelter.

All of the below pubs were I'd say within a similar walking distance from the Ricoh to the Wheatsheaf or around 10-15 minutes say.

Rose and Crown
Hastings
Old Ball
Sky Blue Tavern
Old Red Horse
Binley Oak
Brewer and Baker
Vauxhall Tavern
Spittlemoor
Foresters
Elastic Inn
Gosford Arms
Hand & Heart
Beer Engine
Peacock
Hare and Hounds
Was there a CCFC supporters club in Hillfields as as well FP ? Seem to remember being taken in there a couple of times as a kid.
Also me and my brother ducked into a little pub to escape a sudden downpour while walking back to the city center after a game once, it was on the right before the ring road, bit rough round the edges with a few customers who we’re clearly seasoned piss heads, but very welcoming all the same.
The Landlord was a huge Irish man and the Guinness was excellent, any ideas ?

fernandopartridge

Was there a CCFC supporters club in Hillfields as as well FP ? Seem to remember being taken in there a couple of times as a kid.
Also me and my brother ducked into a little pub to escape a sudden downpour while walking back to the city center after a game once, it was on the right before the ring road, bit rough round the edges with a few customers who we’re clearly seasoned piss heads, but very welcoming all the same.
The Landlord was a huge Irish man and the Guinness was excellent, any ideas ?

Yeah, the supporter's club is on Freehold St, it's still there as far as I'm aware. I only ever went once to a football presentation night as a kid!

The pub you're describing sounds like the Spittlemoor, on the right hand side from the bottom of Sky Blue Way, it's the building on the corner in the right of this shot:

1609759949855.png

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Yeah, the supporter's club is on Freehold St, it's still there as far as I'm aware. I only ever went once to a football presentation night as a kid!

The pub you're describing sounds like the Spittlemoor, on the right hand side from the bottom of Sky Blue Way, it's the building on the corner in the right of this shot:

View attachment 18127
Not been around Coventry for years, so this is all new to me! Anyways, here's a couple of pictures I have of the Spittlemoor....
Spittlemoor 1.jpg
Spittlemoor 2.jpg

Brylowes

This was our first port of call on that weekend, the Greyhound at Hawkesbury junction, seemed only right as when I lived in Coventry it was only a couple of hundred yards from here in Blackhorse Rd, though when growing up down there my Dads local was always The Boat rather than the Greyhound ‘We went there next.
Great weekend that was.
F65CDC8F-DF28-41DF-98FC-98D9435F966A.jpeg 7D3C5844-8B8B-486E-BFC3-C8B10E0AFA48.jpeg 465AEBAE-B0FF-4A01-AACF-8CF0337FA580.jpeg

Last edited:

edgy

Did have one pretty bad experience in there before a night game against Stoke. Was near the pool table when a load of Stoke blokes walked in. Started chanting a load of racist shit and squaring up to everyone. Caused a bit of commotion.

Brylowes

View attachment 18127
Not been around Coventry for years, so this is all new to me! Anyways, here's a couple of pictures I have of the Spittlemoor....
View attachment 18129
View attachment 18130
Yeah cheers, I’m sure that’s the one based on Houch’s photos, the landlord was a hulking great Irish bloke who I would imagine you would have to be beyond daft to mess with, remember commenting to my brother that it would probably need a Landlord like that to keep that place in check.

Mcbean

Went to a few World Cup ? European champs games in some club with a connection to the football club late 80s can’t remember where but a social club of some type - was a little wild at times 🤣

It’sabatch87

Rose and Crown
Hastings
Old Ball
Sky Blue Tavern
Old Red Horse
Binley Oak
Brewer and Baker
Vauxhall Tavern
Spittlemoor
Foresters
Elastic Inn
Gosford Arms
Hand & Heart
Beer Engine
Peacock
Hare and Hounds
I’ve been in all of those,Do I get a medal?
Some good pub crawls on the way to HR I must admit.
Happy days!!!🍺🍺🍺🐘⚽️👍🤣

Major Tom

Rose and Crown
Hastings
Old Ball
Sky Blue Tavern
Old Red Horse
Binley Oak
Brewer and Baker
Vauxhall Tavern
Spittlemoor
Foresters
Elastic Inn
Gosford Arms
Hand & Heart
Beer Engine
Peacock
Hare and Hounds
The Peacock was our main pub for a few years, good stop off before you hit Gosford St.
Anybody remember the name of the Irish pub in Hillfields top of King William st, just up from the supermarket. Had a big room at the the back. Guinness was a great pint 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread