The Bradford Fire (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Shocking, if true.

Horrible, if true.

Bradford really does seem to get lost among Hillsborough and the like but to me... it's one of my earlier football memories, the fallout of it. Still brings a chill.

bigfatronssba

If true it would suggest either massive incompetence at best on behalf of the police, or something much more sinister. It's unbelievable that they never investigated a man who suffered 8 fires in his businesses.

The one thing that does make me doubt it is all his other building were empty at the time of the fires, so if they were deliberate, the person that started them obviously had at least some concern about people getting hurt. You would think then that if the Valley Parade fire was deliberate, it would have been done when the ground was empty?

Covstu

Hearing about this on talk sport, this would be unbelievable if true. Surely the police would have checked this out being his history?

hutch1972

If true it would suggest either massive incompetence at best on behalf of the police, or something much more sinister. It's unbelievable that they never investigated a man who suffered 8 fires in his businesses.

The one thing that does make me doubt it is all his other building were empty at the time of the fires, so if they were deliberate, the person that started them obviously had at least some concern about people getting hurt. You would think then that if the Valley Parade fire was deliberate, it would have been done when the ground was empty?
It just seems inconceivable that one man could be so unlucky.
Any insurance pay outs should be easy to confirm as would be info on the going concern of his businesses at the time of the fires.
Shamefully this has never had the same media time as the Hillsborough 96 so i am hoping this is fully investigated.

jimmyhillsfanclub

The Hillsborough tragedy has always received more press coverage for obvious reasons......

...It was an FA Cup SF, it was live on telly, it involved the nations biggest & most successful club at the time, more people died.......and critically, the fans knew from day one that the police were lying their fucking arses off.....

Back on topic, I can't believe this arson theory for one minute.....surely not....not during the final game of the season with a bumper crowd to celebrate them as 3rd div. champions.....no way.

chiefdave

I can imagine someone burning a factory or something down for insurance but a football stand during a match? Surely if he wanted it burnt down a mysterious fire during the close season would have done the trick.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
[video=youtube;v6iTSAwGo1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6iTSAwGo1Y[/video]

For those of you who are too young to remember this tradegy, please watch. It took approximately SIX minutes to destroy the stand. A terrible day for all concerned. RIP to those who lost their lives.

lewys33

For those of you who are too young to remember this tradegy, please watch. It took approximately SIX minutes to destroy the stand. A terrible day for all concerned. RIP to those who lost their lives.

I knew about it, saw pictures, but never saw quite how bad it was. Just shows how quickly fire spreads although I can imagine it wasn't the most fire proof stand in the world - the guardian article confirms that. The footage at 6:00 minutes is quite surreal.

Otis

I knew about it, saw pictures, but never saw quite how bad it was. Just shows how quickly fire spreads although I can imagine it wasn't the most fire proof stand in the world - the guardian article confirms that. The footage at 6:00 minutes is quite surreal.

I think there is some other footage somewhere. I thought it was this, but there is an old guy walking round the pitch with his head on fire. Could be the same poor man as in this clip, but the clip I saw showed him walking round the touchline for several seconds with his head on fire. I think the shock just took over him.

Makes me weep every time I see that.

so sad.

duffer

I can imagine someone burning a factory or something down for insurance but a football stand during a match? Surely if he wanted it burnt down a mysterious fire during the close season would have done the trick.

You'd think that, but maybe the crowd provided the perfect cover via the discarded cigarette argument that the investigator accepted.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/15/bradford-fire-martin-fletcher-stafford-heginbotham

I don't know the truth of it, I don't think anyone does, but it is horribly suspicious.

bigfatronssba

What on earth were all those people on the pitch cheering and jumping about for?

Even if you consider they might not have known people were dying in there, surely one of your stands burning down is nothing to celebrate?

One thing I find interesting with the Valley Parade fire, its clear, that had there been fences in front of that stand, the death toll would have been easily in the hundreds, if not thousands. So why on earth were fences still up years after this? Surely someone must have looked at this and thought "good job there wasn't a fence here, best take them down at every ground in case it happens again".

M&B Stand

What on earth were all those people on the pitch cheering and jumping about for?

Even if you consider they might not have known people were dying in there, surely one of your stands burning down is nothing to celebrate?

One thing I find interesting with the Valley Parade fire, its clear, that had there been fences in front of that stand, the death toll would have been easily in the hundreds, if not thousands. So why on earth were fences still up years after this? Surely someone must have looked at this and thought "good job there wasn't a fence here, best take them down at every ground in case it happens again".

Good point regarding fences.
Some of those that did die went down to exits that were locked shut. You can only imagine what a shockingly awful death they had.

Users who are viewing this thread