The Bookies Don't Give us a Chance (1 Viewer)

tippex9

This reminds me of Preston last year and Blackpool the year before. Both odds on to go down from day one! Wonder which fate awaits us.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
No sweat! We're stayin' up AND challenging for the Premiership!! PUSB!!!!!!
Wonder what the odds are for us gaining promotion? Might have a tenner on it!

tippex9

100-1 to be champs, 18-1 to go up & Andy Thorn to win sack race 10-1 joint fav.

(Paddy Power)

Nonleagueherewecome

So we probably as fans are now realistically, in terms of both odds and the manager at the helm, in the best position we've ever been in to bet on promotion via the playoffs! We've never been written off so much before, yet I'm confident that we have our best manager in 20 years at the helm.

I thought we were looking bad, but Peterboro, Bristol C, Burnley, Millwall and in particular Barnsley have signed mainly dross. Certainly nobody in Gael Bigirimanas' class IMO, as I hope he gets the chance to show tomorrow. Plus Palace and Doncaster look weak, and Leeds are on a downward spiral under the parsimonious ken Bates. Reading are weakened, and we showed we can match them (now there is a role model of a club for us). Lots of fuss about Brighton-but they've spent big on a guy who didn't keep Peterboro up last time and also lost their 2 best players. Southampton are relying mainly on last years side plus Jack Cork-haven't made the moves Norwich did last year.

Still think we can't expect to finish above anyone bar those sides I mention as we need a striker-but think we should fear none of those. At least until the injuries bite, then SISUs folly will become clear.

I think the odds are probably massively influenced by the bad publicity. Things like Clems' comment on R5 this week and some of the things Keys has said really impact upon these odds, however silly that sounds-the bookies react to the media, as they know punters do.

Astute

add-bet-basket.gif
Coventry7/4 7/4 6/4 7/4 7/4 7/4 6/4 7/4 13/8 7/4 19/10
add-bet-basket.gif
Barnsley19/10 7/4 9/5 7/4 7/4 7/4 7/4 15/8 13/8 18/10
add-bet-basket.gif
Doncaster15/8 15/8 7/4 7/4 7/4 7/4 13/8
add-bet-basket.gif
Peterborough21/10 9/4 5/2 21/10 9/4 21/10 5/2 5/2 46/25
add-bet-basket.gif
Crystal Palace9/4 9/4 9/4 9/4 5/2 9/4 9/4 9/4 9/4 9/4
add-bet-basket.gif
Watford5/2 13/5 5/2 5/2 5/2 5/2 5/2 5/ 9/4
add-bet-basket.gif
Bristol City11/2 11/2 11/2 9/2 11/2 9/2 11/2 23/10
add-bet-basket.gif
Portsmouth11/2 11/2 11/2 11/2 11/2 11/2 7/2 32/10
add-bet-basket.gif
Derby6 5 5 5 9/2 6 9/2 6 6 4 19/5 7
add-bet-basket.gif
Millwall5 11/2 6 11/2 5 11/2 11/2 11/2 11/2 9/2 21/5 8
add-bet-basket.gif
Birmingham City9/2 5 6 7 4 4 4 4 4 5 21/5

You can get odds as low as 4/1 or lower on 11 teams. If we still had CC in charge then I would put us as near favourites for the drop. We now have AT. The players like him. The players like the way he likes them to play. He got the job through his knowledge of the game. We already have players that are at the club because he wanted them here. With his knowledge of the game and also as a scout we will not be bringing in any more overated players that are shite. They will be brought in to do a job and be capable of doing that job. We have some good youth players coming into the team. To the bookies we have an untried manager. We have lost good players. We look skint. Maybe we are skint.

Two seasons ago I bought a car. Over half of the cost of it was won on football bets on betfair in the first couple of months of the season. It is easy to win money at football. Bookies have to lay odds in advance on all games. Then injuries and suspensions come into it. You can be a bookie on betfair. Choose the games and the bets. If anyone wants to bet on us going down I will cover it at 2/1. This is better odds than with any bookie. I see it as an easy earner. We can have the money secured until the end of the season. We are going to have less chances to score this season, but would say they will be better chances. Nearly every team in this division seems to have a weaker squad this season. Most on here are only looking at our own team. I am not saying we are going to be near the top of the table. I also do not think we are going to be at the bottom.

Last edited:

Astute

The odds today on betfair so far is 4 for us to win, 2.1 for fester to win and 3.5 for the draw. The first point is your bet you have placed. 3/1 for a home game at the start of the season is generous. A lot of it will be down to fitness and how quickly the teams gel. Also how much can they take from the training ground to the game.

Users who are viewing this thread