The board's view of Thorn (1 Viewer)

Otis

Just wondered today what the club and board think of Thorn.

We have had statements from them saying that they have faith in him and believe he can turn things around and have us staying up.

Pretty much all of us believe we have next to no chance of avoiding relegation and many City fans believe we would go down whoever was in charge with this squad.

Guess the permutations are;

1. They do have faith in Thorn and do believe indeed we can escape this.

2. They have faith in Thorn but have pretty much accepted that we are going down.

3. They don't have faith in Thorn but cutting costs is the number one priority above all others even at the expense of our league standing.

4. They don't have faith in Thorn but cannot afford or will not splash out on another manager.

Personally I don't believe they can have faith in Thorn, but of course if that were true that would make number 1 an out and out lie.

I would think they don't have faith in AT but are either unwilling or cannot afford to bring anyone else in and don't care enough to do anything other than watch us slowly drown in a bowl of our own vomit.

If they do have faith in him, on what do they base this I wonder. If they have faith in the bloke and think we are good enough to stay up then AT is massively underachieving surely!

Be interesting to find out what they really think of the bloke.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Paxman II

I doubt they have faith in Thorn's ability to keep us up. They should be in panic mode yet we are continuing on course for league one without a get out of jail card.
Can they afford to get some one with greater experience in? Yes I would say so but they are not. Clear to me they fully expect to either sell on their interest or they may just be adjusting for league 1 and have written off what ever happens this season.
Afterall men in suits will see this objectively.....a promotion pushing season in league 1 will increase the crowds, lessen the wage bill and get momentum at the club (such has happened to Norwich and almost identically Southampton) and will be seen as the better business option rather than throwing cash at a dead horse that this season has become.
Would they admit that to the supporters? Of course not.

wingy

So how do they generate a promotion push ,on the basis all worthwhile assets are sold,pessimistic of me ,but i expect to see mediocrity ,and crowds of 7-8000,and the standard ,"No Investment"

sylus

i think the board thinks thorn is a :jerkit:. but sayin that the board are :jerkit: to.

ashbyjan

Who is the board this week? Doubt if they even know who AT is let alone have an opinion on him as a manager. Only a matter of time before we are offered an opportunity to text in to a premium number to Yes - Keep AT or No - Sack AT

ICHAN

It is really a puzzle.

Do they not care what happens due to them saying they will only be funding until the end of the year so why should they care what happens regarding which league we are in.

To get rid of AT will cost them money but why spend money if they are going at the end of the season.

Think we need to just come to the conclusion that we are doomed and there will be no changes until they decide to leave at the end of the season when they themselves have said they will only fund till then.

I think their will be no money spent on trying to save us from relegation as they will not be here to take the consequences of Division 1 football and less crowds.

shmmeee

It is really a puzzle.

Do they not care what happens due to them saying they will only be funding until the end of the year so why should they care what happens regarding which league we are in.

To get rid of AT will cost them money but why spend money if they are going at the end of the season.

Think we need to just come to the conclusion that we are doomed and there will be no changes until they decide to leave at the end of the season when they themselves have said they will only fund till then.

I think their will be no money spent on trying to save us from relegation as they will not be here to take the consequences of Division 1 football and less crowds.

Thing is, if that's their thinking, why not sell up now? Less losses, club is worth more to a buyer.

Honestly don't even think there is a strategy. Who would be implementing it if there was? We've got virtually no board left, those that are their are either conspicuous by their absence (Igwe) or just arrived (Fisher and the other one). The whole thing is a shambles.

They must be planning to stick around. We won't sack Thorn as we don't want to waste cash on a replacement (and at this point it would be a waste) as we need players more than we need management.

@richh87

I imagine the board know that they have given Thorn a crap squad and can see that we're not being blown away by any team in this division - when we lose it's always by one goal.

To blame the manager is to ignore the piss poor squad at his disposal. That said he doesn't have bags of experience. It's a difficult one to judge. If Boothroyd or Coleman were in charge I think we'd be performing much worse than this.

stupot07

If they really care about relegation they will stump up the cash to bring in 3/4 players and not sell juke, etc regardless of who the manager is.

Their no 1 priority is cost cutting.

ICHAN

Thing is, if that's their thinking, why not sell up now? Less losses, club is worth more to a buyer.

Honestly don't even think there is a strategy. Who would be implementing it if there was? We've got virtually no board left, those that are their are either conspicuous by their absence (Igwe) or just arrived (Fisher and the other one). The whole thing is a shambles.

They must be planning to stick around. We won't sack Thorn as we don't want to waste cash on a replacement (and at this point it would be a waste) as we need players more than we need management.

Could they have not commited to having to be here until the end of the season, the lack of board members due to winding down?
Who knows as we are all only just guessing and summising on what we think these people could be upto, it is hard to understnad what they are upto.
Maybe they have not sold up because they have not been offered what they want regarding monies they have put into place until the end of the season and so will just leave the club in the shit and the worst possible scenario, these people have no conscience when it comes to the club or the fans, and so maybe saying if you want to save the club give us X amount or you can just pick up the pieces at the end of the season, it is strange that they said there is funding till the end of the season, there in a losing battle anyway so they in a way have the upper hand

shmmeee

If they really care about relegation they will stump up the cash to bring in 3/4 players and not sell juke, etc regardless of who the manager is.

Their no 1 priority is cost cutting.

Not quite. Their primary concern is not lending CCFC any more money until they show they can pay it back.

Stop thinking of SISU as the owners and start thinking of them as a bank lending us money.

shmmeee

Could they have not commited to having to be here until the end of the season, the lack of board members due to winding down?
Who knows as we are all only just guessing and summising on what we think these people could be upto, it is hard to understnad what they are upto.
Maybe they have not sold up because they have not been offered what they want regarding monies they have put into place until the end of the season and so will just leave the club in the shit and the worst possible scenario, these people have no conscience when it comes to the club or the fans, and so maybe saying if you want to save the club give us X amount or you can just pick up the pieces at the end of the season, it is strange that they said there is funding till the end of the season, there in a losing battle anyway so they in a way have the upper hand

I agree for the most part, but they do care about what happens to the club.

If CCFC goes into liquidation SISU are £30m down. They have a vested interest in keeping the club alive long enough to pay what it owes SISU.

That's why I don't get their strategy.

Of course the elephant in the room we are all ignoring is: What if there actually isn't anyone out there willing to buy the club? Hoffman hasn't said a word, everything has been rumour and speculation. Maybe they are willing to sell, but no-one is willing to buy.

With everything i've read and witnessed i've come to the conclusion that SISU don't have a clue full stop.

I don't think they even think about Andy Thorn , I think to them he's just someone on the payroll and he's cheaper than what they should be paying. I think it's got nothing to do with them having faith in him as they don't even turn up and know nothing about football , the're a hedge fund investment group.

I , as you , think there sole interest is in selling what they can. When a car is scrapped don't they call it "breaking for spares or repairs" ? where you just get what you can for the bits and not even bother keeping it ticking over - that's what they seem to be doing with us.

I think if relegation bothered them we would have seen some action by now, we haven't seen any action or development on the signings / manager . So my guess is the're happy to just keep "scrapping the parts" of the club.

stupot07

Not quite. Their primary concern is not lending CCFC any more money until they show they can pay it back.

Stop thinking of SISU as the owners and start thinking of them as a bank lending us money.

That's pretty much what I said - they do not care about relegation, they care about getting their money back. If they cared they would 'lend/gift aid' the club funds to bring in the quality we need to avoid relegation.

Regardless of the type of business they are they own 95% of the shares and are therefore the owners of the club.

Grendel

Who is the board this week? Doubt if they even know who AT is let alone have an opinion on him as a manager. Only a matter of time before we are offered an opportunity to text in to a premium number to Yes - Keep AT or No - Sack AT

I think your comment they don't know who he is is the key to this. The policy makers are now so far removed from the club that the managerial position has become an irrelevance.
We truly live in a bizarre island when it comes to football here. It is a results business and yet here it seems not to matter at all.
There is one certainty in the cut throat world of football where Ferguson and Villas-Boas have been under fire and Pearson is even being abused by fans after 8 games Thorn has the easiest job in the world - lose, lose and lose again and he can shrug his shoulders and say "nothing to do with me, guv", the buck NEVER stops with Andy Thorn.

Grendel

I imagine the board know that they have given Thorn a crap squad and can see that we're not being blown away by any team in this division - when we lose it's always by one goal.

To blame the manager is to ignore the piss poor squad at his disposal. That said he doesn't have bags of experience. It's a difficult one to judge. If Boothroyd or Coleman were in charge I think we'd be performing much worse than this.

Please define "much worse than this"

BANTAM

The Seasons over relegated out of all the cups at the first hurdle his signings are garbagehow could any manager do any worse?

Users who are viewing this thread