The Blame Game (1 Viewer)

Taga

I've been giving some thought as to how we have gone from "shopping at Harrods" in 1987 to our current homelessness and destitute state. OK, along the way there has been a few highlights (cup quarter-final, final day survivals, Speedie's chips, Keane's step overs, Dublin and Huckerby) but overall it has been a period of constant decline, both on and off the pitch.

Throughout these 25 or so years, the majority of fingers have been pointed at various owners, chairman and executives; some at landlords; a minority at the manager and staff but no one has (to my recollection) ever pointed a finger at the clubs mains investors.......us.

Maybe we should look at ourselves and consider what we could of done to stop the decline and more importantly, what can we do to rectify our current plight.

How many of us have turned up at Highfield Road or the Ricoh and thought 'There should be more in here today'? I know there has been many times when the team has been playing well or just won a scintillating game the previous week and there is no marked improvement in attendance. Maybe if a few more fans turned up to cheer on the team the finances would be better and maybe even the results...it's a self perpetuating spiral that works in a positive way and as we have seen over the last 25 years.....a negative way.

How many times have we not delivered on our promise? "I'll go when they start winning", "I'll go when they show me they're any good", "I'll go when he's sacked" etc etc.

The problem we've had throughout the years has been in turning fans and followers into supporters and maybe if more kept the promise, we would not be in the situation we find ourselves in today.

There is a high degree of self guilt in writing this post as I have now moved from a supporter to a fan. Yes I still want to go this afternoon and watch my team but I shall listen on the radio and make no investment in my club.........further adding to the clubs decline.

Otis

When we have done badly I have been even more determined to go.

Reverse logic in some ways I guess, but my feeling is, the worst the club are doing the more I feel they need me.

stupot07

Reverse logic in some ways I guess, but my feeling is, the worst the club are doing the more I feel they need me.

Totally agree Otis, i feel the same, if only the majority of cov fans shared your view we probably wouldn't be where we are today.

Ashdown1

It's not just Cov City though is it, for a City of our size we should be getting bigger crowds at all of our sporting sides but as I've said before and been shot down, take a walk around CV1 and you'll quickly discover there are hardly any Coventrians left in the City. Most of the foreign intake and overseas students have very little affinity with the various sporting institutions !

stupot07

It's not just Cov City though is it, for a City of our size we should be getting bigger crowds at all of our sporting sides but as I've said before and been shot down, take a walk around CV1 and you'll quickly discover there are hardly any Coventrians left in the City. Most of the foreign intake and overseas students have very little affinity with the various sporting institutions !

Yep, you are right, you only need to compare the 2001 and 2011 census to see how the city has diversified, nothing wrong with that but the new communities don't have the same affinity for the city and its sporting teams. I can see the city further diversifying in the next 10-20 years.

Taga

Your point is true but my point is that over the last 36 years of supporting City there has been multiple times that there has been no excuse for not going, yet crowds were not as they should have been.

I suppose I'm just trying to point out that some of the responsibility for the decline possibly sits with the followers and fans, who couldn't be arsed to support the club.

theferret

Our attendances are (or rather have been) entirely consistent with our catchment area which is not nearly as big as people think it is. I'm really not sure what crowds people think we should be getting.

Taga

And does that not make you a little frustrated with the followers and fans that drop the club at the first sign of something going wrong?

ccfcway

agree with that, but its the same in most places. Its how you engage with the local population that matters. If we think we have it bad now, imagine what it will be like in the next 5 years (at least) when we don't have a team here. Sad fact is that if you live in the middle of Coventry and are, lets say 10 -16 years old, its both easier and more attractive to go and see Aston Villa v Newcastle than wait for a sunday to try and get to Northanpton to see Coventry v Stevenage

I will always be CCFC, but this move is doing way more damage that SISU realise

Taga

agree with that, but its the same in most places. Its how you engage with the local population that matters. If we think we have it bad now, imagine what it will be like in the next 5 years (at least) when we don't have a team here. Sad fact is that if you live in the middle of Coventry and are, lets say 10 -16 years old, its both easier and more attractive to go and see Aston Villa v Newcastle than wait for a sunday to try and get to Northanpton to see Coventry v Stevenage

A missed generation probably.

Johnnythespider

Under 16's should get in for free, more families will attend, the kids will be hooked and if we are back at the ricoh there is plenty of space.

Users who are viewing this thread