The bigger picture... (1 Viewer)

...The saddest thing about our current demise is that some of our supporters still seem incapable of seeing it.*Many on here seem to be more angry at the manager than they are the owners! It's baffling.

This rot began when SISU decided they were going to stop building our squad and instead strip it of any potential it had. Simply because they had bigger priorities than CCFC.

This being about the time that they sold Scott Dann and Danny Fox.

With the likes of Keiren Westwood, Leon Best, Ben Turner, Aron Gunnarsson, Danny Fox, Scott Dann and Jack Cork we had the making of a decent squad in this league. Not to mention the mooted possible signings of Jordan Henderson and Andy Carroll.

Since then we have lost all of those players added nothing of note and have sunk lower and lower as a consequence. Marlon King's spell at the club served more as a reminder to us of the difference a bit of quality and experience can make to a team.*

The latter being particularly relevant now.

You simply cannot brush aside lack of experience and lack of depth in a squad as 'excuses' for poor results.

Whether people like it or not, these are REASONS for failure not excuses.

AT may be a novice at this stage but no manager could achieve any level of success with our current crop. It is simply too weak a squad.

This summer we were a club that had just finished near the bottom end of the table but instead of trying to stop the rot we lost our best players without replacing them. Is it any wonder the bookies had us down as favourites for the drop?

We all saw this coming, so why are we now blaming the manager?

Just last week we were highlighted on talksport as an example of a terribly run club.

It seems that every f*cker in the country can see why we're struggling apart from our own fans!

Watching us lose to Peterborough yesterday while hearing that Scott Dann, Aron Gunnarsson and Ben Turner were on the score sheet elsewhere was very very depressing...

RogerH

The rot started way before SISU, back in the Richardson era. SISU have just made it much worse and accelerated the decline.

Bennets Afro

My only issue with thorn is his stubbornness to try something different ie. 4-4-2
Our players can't and have never been able to play the diamond.
SISU or not he can try and shake things up a bit, but refuses to

Lord_Nampil

i agree with Benno, also how do we know that this is all we can give this season, that's why i want change i want to prepare for next season nice and early!!!

@richh87

My only issue with thorn is his stubbornness to try something different ie. 4-4-2
Our players can't and have never been able to play the diamond.
SISU or not he can try and shake things up a bit, but refuses to

See I have a problem with this attitude. There's a woman who sits behind me in the Tesco stand who screams "change something Thorn". Stupid cow doesn't know what should be changed just wants 'something' changing.

We cannot play 4-4-2 successfully either. We've all bemoaned the lack of width and pace for years now.

Sometimes people you have to hold your hands up and say - this squad is shit because the owners are c*nts and no matter what system we play we will go down.

Now, i'm not saying Andy Thorn is the best manager in the world - but he certainly isn't the main issue.

I think what angers me the most is that there are fans who won't support the 'SISU out' protests but have the nerve to berate Andy Thorn.*

*This isn't directed at Bennett's Afro - just picked up on the "try something different" part and set me off on one ;):whistle:

blueflint

just a thought could At DO BETTER WITH BETTER PLAYERS we will never know not at city anyway :blue::blue::blue::blue:

Bennets Afro

I think thorn showed last season what he can do with a squad with a bit more quality.
I support the protests and would love for thorn to be successful. But it is all one dimensionable. No plan b, no nothing.
We ain't scoring so lets try something to stop the other team scoring. We get chances, we need to take them and see games out util the end

@richh87

You know what people; everyone agrees that we create chances but can't put them away. All it needs is for SISU to buy a quality striker like we had last season in Marlon King and we'd start putting chances away. There's fuck all wrong with our approach play - we often dominate possession and create more chance than the opposition.

God I hate SISU.

ajsccfc

I wouldn't count Bantam as people personally, he's just a Boggle game filled with swear words. The thing with people concentrating on the manager is that it's an immediate change that can be made, whereas obviously the ownership is a long, arduous ordeal. I don't think there's anyone who thinks that Andy Thorn is Coventry City's sole or even most pressing issue, they'd need their head firmly buried in the sand.

I understand that people say Thorn has his hands tied and he'd do better if we had X, Y and Z but the cold reality is that we don't.

The CableGuy

The opening post sums up my thoughts on the matter. Seriously, what did people expect?

AT is a rookie manager....yet people seem baffled that he makes (gasp) rookie mistakes? So would any of us if we were given the job, regardless of how many hours had been logged on Football Manager for the PC. That's before people waffle on about the diamond not working while forgetting we lack any pace to make 4-4-2 work effectively, thanks SISU.

As I've said elsewhere: Rookie Manager. Rookie Players. 11 players out. 3 in. There's a reason why the bookies had us going down before a ball had been kicked.

Last edited:

Astute

I might just give in and lick Thorns hoop like everyone else, seems easier

So it is AT's fault that all our players except for one that could score goals left our club and then not replaced? :facepalm:

Colonel Mustard

Get real. Everybody knows that AT has little to work with.

That does not mean that he is beyond criticism for poor tactics, failure to extract every bead of sweat from his soldiers, or his dodgy assessment of most games.

There is no harm in trying a different manager to at least see if they could get squeeze more out of this rabble. No harm whatsoever!

Voice_of_Reason

...The saddest thing about our current demise is that some of our supporters still seem incapable of seeing it.*Many on here seem to be more angry at the manager than they are the owners! It's baffling.

This rot began when SISU decided they were going to stop building our squad and instead strip it of any potential it had. Simply because they had bigger priorities than CCFC.

This being about the time that they sold Scott Dann and Danny Fox.

With the likes of Keiren Westwood, Leon Best, Ben Turner, Aron Gunnarsson, Danny Fox, Scott Dann and Jack Cork we had the making of a decent squad in this league. Not to mention the mooted possible signings of Jordan Henderson and Andy Carroll.

Since then we have lost all of those players added nothing of note and have sunk lower and lower as a consequence. Marlon King's spell at the club served more as a reminder to us of the difference a bit of quality and experience can make to a team.*

The latter being particularly relevant now.

You simply cannot brush aside lack of experience and lack of depth in a squad as 'excuses' for poor results.

Whether people like it or not, these are REASONS for failure not excuses.

AT may be a novice at this stage but no manager could achieve any level of success with our current crop. It is simply too weak a squad.

This summer we were a club that had just finished near the bottom end of the table but instead of trying to stop the rot we lost our best players without replacing them. Is it any wonder the bookies had us down as favourites for the drop?

Just last week we were highlighted on talksport as an example of a terribly run club.

It seems that every f*cker in the country can see why we're struggling apart from our own fans!

Watching us lose to Peterborough yesterday while hearing that Scott Dann, Aron Gunnarsson and Ben Turner were on the score sheet elsewhere was very very depressing...[/QUOTE

..... and seeing Fox and Cork in a successful Southampton team makes you wonder -- if only we had kept them and Westwood !!!

Macca

So it is AT's fault that all our players except for one that could score goals left our club and then not replaced? :facepalm:

Save the facepalm for next to thorns stats! Nah seriously I ve given up. Keep him for ten years for all I care. At least we ll get the stability that everyone craves. I m not supporting an outfit that's accepted failure. When the club and fans decide to take things seriously again so will i

Moff

Save the facepalm for next to thorns stats! Nah seriously I ve given up. Keep him for ten years for all I care. At least we ll get the stability that everyone craves. I m not supporting an outfit that's accepted failure. When the club and fans decide to take things seriously again so will i

Macca is right.

Yes its a sob story over what AT has to work with, and yes the situation is hardly his fault, but he seems bereft of ideas, cant seem to motivate the team, they lack fitness, he lacks the ability to change the team or tactics when needed and he has the air of someone who cant make the slightest difference now and is resigned to our fate.

I expect relegation now, but am not paid by the club to do something about it, which he is.

If he cant do a decent job even with the poor tools he has then maybe just maybe it might be time to give someone else a chance to see if they can do better, or if not accept the abject cr*p that we are served every week, and hope we might get another two wins by the end of the season.

I for one like thorn, but feel it times to try something new.

ajsccfc

So it's not his fault that the players we have left have lost points from winning or even drawing positions? Or that they've failed to adapt to changes in the opposition? Or that there appears to be no plan B from the steadfast footballing philosophy that's yielded two wins?

How long will his blameless ride be extended because some players left exactly? I hope we're not sitting in League 2 hearing that 'the diamond will come good once we've got a bit of luck' while people excuse his failings because Marlon King walked in 2011.

Taken from http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/13476-SO-IS-THAT-IT-THEN-Carry-On-Regardless

Some people don't see the bigger picture - exactly what Ginetta is getting at. Some are just morons.

My thread was just an observation as to AT's stubbornness to utilise his existing squad to their varying abilities and skills and having the nous to make changes when needed. Poor team selection, poor tactics, playing players out of position have all contributed to our demise of just 2 wins all season.

In 1983 Bobby Gould took over CCFC when threequarters of his first team left and he had to recruit, in about four weeks flat, a brand new team purchased from the lower divisions to contest the best league in Europe.

By Dec 83 due to his MAN MANAGEMENT SKILLS of less "capable" players he achieved 4th in the league, which is the very point I am making - it can be done.

AT please utilise what you have got its been done before - its nothing new - its called management !!!

PUSB

ccfc2011

The rot started way before SISU

dadgad

i agree with Benno, also how do we know that this is all we can give this season, that's why i want change i want to prepare for next season nice and early!!!

But even this decision is down to SISU......you cannot have it both ways.
The original poster is correct. Everything is down to the owners......whoever they are?
The ONLY way we can start with a clean slate is to start again with new people at the top......which is why it is important to unite behind the protest. No scabs allowed, thank you.:eek::wave:

stupot07

My thread was just an observation as to AT's stubbornness to utilise his existing squad to their varying abilities and skills and having the nous to make changes when needed. Poor team selection, poor tactics, playing players out of position have all contributed to our demise of just 2 wins all season.

In 1983 Bobby Gould took over CCFC when threequarters of his first team left and he had to recruit, in about four weeks flat, a brand new team purchased from the lower divisions to contest the best league in Europe.

By Dec 83 due to his MAN MANAGEMENT SKILLS of less "capable" players he achieved 4th in the league, which is the very point I am making - it can be done.

AT please utilise what you have got its been done before - its nothing new - its called management !!!

PUSB

Was that before the usual second half of the season slump that saw us finish one place outside of the relegation zone?

Macca

But even this decision is down to SISU......you cannot have it both ways.
The original poster is correct. Everything is down to the owners......whoever they are?
The ONLY way we can start with a clean slate is to start again with new people at the top......which is why it is important to unite behind the protest. No scabs allowed, thank you.:eek::wave:

I m sure as hell not going to protest against the worse owners we ever had while backing the worse manager

Grendel

What I can never understand is the notion that anyone who dares to criticise Thorn is immediatly tagged with the pro-SISU tag. This is ridiculous, annoying and ironic. Why ironic? Because only SISU would ever have considered a man so clearly incapable of management as their manager.
Even SISU recognise this to an extent as if he was half decent they would get him on a contract as they would then get compensation when other clubs come in for him. Of course no-one will come in for him and I wonder why? His contract will not be renewed and so he will definately be gone.
I have not seen any threads giving any positives about Thorn just some silly notion that he is standing alone against SISU. What sad nonsence as without SISU we would never have been subjected to this pethetic parody of football management.

Was that before the usual second half of the season slump that saw us finish one place outside of the relegation zone?

Yes but that was the Premier League equivalent surely a much bigger achievement to survive than our current league.

And BG finished with a win ratio of 31% not the current season to date of a pathetic 9% - just about the worse ANYWHERE.

How much lower in results performance do we have to go before even the AT diehards might start criticising AT's record - it can't get much lower ???

PUSB

Macca

my confusion for the day. The mere mention of SISU turns people into rabid axe murderers ( and rightly so) yet they support their appointed cheap option manager who knew exactly who he was getting into bed with

Users who are viewing this thread