The 2012 Olympics (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Is anyone else like me and thinks that the Olympics are a complete waste of time? It is costing us, the tax payer, BILLIONS to put these games on - for what? Two bloody weeks of sports? We will be paying for this for YEARS!! I couldn't believe the UK actually bid for the games at a time when global finance was in such a mess! The anouncement that London had won the bid probably came as a relief to the other countries quietly bidding because they don't have to waste so much money!

gouldberg

From the little I've read on the games the cost to us is less than 0.1% of the total GDP. The £3bn costs sure are a risk, but to be honest that sort of money would barely make a dent in the likes of healthcare or economic stability.

The positives of holding the event include tourism (which in turn massively boosts revenue) and there will also be an influx in jobs created. These jobs will include construction of buildings, maintenance of buildings (this area of new jobs will be long term) plus all the additional short term staff needed during the games. The Olympic village will also be turned into houses after the games, which again means more jobs for the conversion and gained revenue in selling off the land to property developers.

It also could be a small price to pay to 1) help improve the image of our country as we know full well we're currently not too popular and 2) improve the fitness of people in the UK. Holding this sort of event brings sport and fitness activities into the public light like no other event can. Currently obesity costs the NHS around £5bn a year, so if we can get more people active that figure can drop and again we see a positive effect.

The games could be a great opportunity for the UK if we take it properly.

cov_russell

Facebook User
I am of the total opposite opinion. I have absolute Olympic fever. I can obviously appreciate your points but I'd have the games here at any cost.

rob9872

I want to see the 100m final (mens) and probably that's about it.

dutchman

Never mind the rest of the country, Coventry residents will be paying for the "improvements" now being made to public areas in the city for these games for years to come. And the payment will probably be in the form of cutbacks to essential local services.

I'm also sick of the non-stop BBC coverage of an event which hasn't even started yet.

Ernie Machin

I can't wait, you bunch of Negative Nigels!

Should be good craic, it's the Olympics ffs! When you consider how many billions are wasted in both local and national government, a few quid in the direction of one of the poorest areas of the UK doesn't worry me in the slightest.

egastap

I want to see the 100m final (mens) and probably that's about it.

For me the 800 and 1,500 metres ARE the Olympics. Remember when Seb Coe, Steve Ovett and later Steve Cram just about won everything. Alas, 'those were the days, my friend, I thought they'd never end'. [sic]

rob9872

For me the 800 and 1,500 metres ARE the Olympics. Remember when Seb Coe, Steve Ovett and later Steve Cram just about won everything. Alas, 'those were the days, my friend, I thought they'd never end'. [sic]

It kind of was for me, but then it morphed into the rowing, the curling at the winters and more recently cycling. But that 's more of a nationalistic (some say xenephobic :) ) thing as it's all we're good at. But if I'm honest as a neutral the only thing that interests me is how quick the fastest man on the planet can can travel.

One thing that would make it more interesting is Frankie Boyle's suggestion that as they all cheat anyhow, make it open season and let them use whatever drugs they want, because like him I would love to see them run 100m in six seconds :)

rob9872

Yeah everyone beats us at the usual sports now, so we've brought Buster out of retirement to reperesent the nation and bring home Gold next year. His training regime includes a Special Brew diet and the national anthem is to be amended to Ne Ne Na Na Na Na Na Nu.

Marty

I didn't want us to win it and think it's a right waste of money, but we have it so might as well enjoy it for the 2 or so weeks its on.

CovKingChris

Facebook User
Just a waste of money. Like the area by the Lady Godiva statue there. They're renovating it for £7million & all they're doing is getting rid of the bricks & putting concrete slabs down.

Covstu

It will be a great spectical, its creating jobs and we are one of the minority that will continue to use the facilities after the event so i think it makes sense all round! Nice to have a massive event here in the UK albeit mostly London. Have they made Golf an Olympic sport yet?? if so where is this being paid?

egastap

It kind of was for me, but then it morphed into the rowing, the curling at the winters and more recently cycling. But that 's more of a nationalistic (some say xenephobic :) ) thing as it's all we're good at. But if I'm honest as a neutral the only thing that interests me is how quick the fastest man on the planet can can travel.

One thing that would make it more interesting is Frankie Boyle's suggestion that as they all cheat anyhow, make it open season and let them use whatever drugs they want, because like him I would love to see them run 100m in six seconds :)

Rob.......Curling?...... Did you say CURLING?? Isn't that the winter version of lawn green bowling? End-to-End excitement......n'est pas?

Last edited:

huckerby87

As a Londoner I'm very interested in the Olympics. I noticed the Ricoh is hosting some football matches, is anyone going?

blueflint

the 100 mtrs final at 2012 olympics will be like a normal sat night in london a gun shot will be heard and everyone legs it

bamalamafizzfazz

KingChris, that's great how you compare the olympic a worldwide sporting event ot Broadgate in town lol.

I am looking forward to the olympics. I am going to a day at the Ricoh and my mate also scored tickets to the final at Wembley. It would have been amazing to see Usain Bolt but the tickets are just too pricey.

Did anyone know that the Ugandan team are going to be based in Coventry? one of the host Cities and we get Uganda lol

Users who are viewing this thread