Thanks Luton... (1 Viewer)

CharlesMore

After 24 painful years,every third round day we have had to put up with ridicule about Sutton United being the last non league club to beat a top flight side.

Finally the pain is over!!!

Well done Luton.

CovMatt1987

Id just read this, then flicked on to ESPN for the Man United game - and they had a little shot of the guy who scored against us for Sutton. Media - bloody let it go!

Steve.B50

Do you recall who Sutton played in next round after they knocked us out?

Norwich away, they lost 6-0 I think

CJparker

Good that the Sutton monkey has jumped off our backs....but, Luton are a big club really, whereas as Sutton are teeny. Luton got to some major finals in the 88-90 time and also were in the top flight around the same time, they had David Pleat, they were in the Championship until relatively recently - it was the catastrophic financial mismanagement that has seen them get relegated repeatedly (and their inability to get a new ground) - they are "non-league" in name only, really, given their support base. They will be back in the league soon, whereas Sutton are nothing.

Losing to Luton is bad for Norwich. Losing to Sutton was pathetic. I know which I'd rather pick!

CharlesMore

We went to Norwich the week after Sutton, we were taunted all game,were a goal down for most of the game,then Speedo scored that chip to win it 2-1.

Seems like yesterday.

Baginton

Good that the Sutton monkey has jumped off our backs....but, Luton are a big club really, whereas as Sutton are teeny. Luton got to some major finals in the 88-90 time and also were in the top flight around the same time, they had David Pleat, they were in the Championship until relatively recently - it was the catastrophic financial mismanagement that has seen them get relegated repeatedly (and their inability to get a new ground) - they are "non-league" in name only, really, given their support base. They will be back in the league soon, whereas Sutton are nothing.

Losing to Luton is bad for Norwich. Losing to Sutton was pathetic. I know which I'd rather pick!

Corrupt owners who pocketed £14m trying to build warehouses/ground on land they owned, (
Then the FL /FA kicking smaller teams when they are down (-30 points) while others have got away scot free for worse offences since!

But they have good owners now and will be back :claping hands:

Fantastic result again today, hope they get a big club away from home.

Sky Blues

The record has gone, but I think Sutton will still be considered the bigger upset sadly.
Sutton were a real non-league side with a ground that was just a metal bar around most of the pitch. Luton should be at least a League 1 club, but are languishing beneath their station.
Luton have been FA Cup finalists and League Cup winners. Sutton's biggest cup wins at the time were the Anglo-Italian Cup and the Isthmian League Cup.
Coventry had won the cup just two years earlier. Norwich were last semi-finalists in 1992.
There were 98 league places between Sutton and Coventry. Luton are 85 spots behind Norwich.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
The record has gone, but I think Sutton will still be considered the bigger upset sadly.
Sutton were a real non-league side with a ground that was just a metal bar around most of the pitch. Luton should be at least a League 1 club, but are languishing beneath their station.
Luton have been FA Cup finalists and League Cup winners. Sutton's biggest cup wins at the time were the Anglo-Italian Cup and the Isthmian League Cup.
Coventry had won the cup just two years earlier. Norwich were last semi-finalists in 1992.
There were 98 league places between Sutton and Coventry. Luton are 85 spots behind Norwich.

Newcastle v Hereford will always be the biggest shock because of THAT Radford goal. We will now be part of a list and because we're not the last on that list, we won't get talked about as much. And that's why I'll be eternally grateful to Luton.

skybluelee

But norwich were at home so therefore this is the bigger shock.

Sky Blues

Newcastle v Hereford will always be the biggest shock because of THAT Radford goal. We will now be part of a list and because we're not the last on that list, we won't get talked about as much. And that's why I'll be eternally grateful to Luton.

I agree that Newcastle - Hereford game is the king of cup upsets. I was just comparing the two games being discussed, not the entire history of giant killings. The Newcastle - Hereford game demonstrates that the very biggest upsets (like Sutton) don't depart quickly from the public's memory, but it is good Luton will push the Sutton result down the chronological list.

ampthill_sba

Living close to Luton and MK there's quite a lot of smiling faces about today in Bedfordshire... Just wish we had tighter marking at PNE so my smile could have been as wide as theirs.

CJparker

True, but Luton are a professional team who get gates of over 5k for a typical home game - they are not the Dog and Duck 2nd XI, they are a proper long-established League club who have had some harsh points deductions forcing them into the 5th tier - they are still full time, unlike Sutton

CJparker

And to Norwich! :claping hands:

hutch1972

Think Norwich are only the 3rd top div team to lose at home to non league opp , i remember brum in the mid 80s losing at home to altrincham .
One record i dont think we will ever lose is the fact we were 4th in the league, therefore the highest placed team to lose to non league opp.

hutch1972

Think Norwich are only the 3rd top div team to lose at home to non league opp , i remember brum in the mid 80s losing at home to altrincham .
One record i dont think we will ever lose is the fact we were 4th in the league, therefore the highest placed team to lose to non league opp.

Not that i'm proud of it btw.

clerkin61

I especially hate all the Sutton coverage - guess where I live!!!!! yep, Sutton and every year that bloody loss comes back to haunt me.

Users who are viewing this thread