Terry Gibson (1 Viewer)

Paul Jones

My first ever game. Went with my uncle and his Liverpool supporting mates. I often think what would have been if Liverpool had won. All the glory i missed out on 😔

andrew.roberts

Was fortunate enough to have been there that day and distinctly remember Nicky Platnauer scoring with his face from a couple of yards out. Unconventional but effective..

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Agree that is an example of a swap in our favour, although Melrose was hardly a massive success. A hat trick on his home debut but fairly mediocre from then on in my view.

Amazed that English was only 26 when we won the FA cup. He seemed to be playing for us a long time before then but I guess he was very young when he broke into the team. Always thought he was unfairly criticised by a portion of our support (a bit of a Biamou of his time) and maybe that affected his confidence. Having said that he was clearly nowhere near Terry Gibson's level. I think English suffered from comparisons with Ian Wallace which was why some of our fans didn't take to him.

It seemed to be in our favour, but Melrose was trouble.

Tommy was 18 when he made his debut (different times).

I think Tommy was a victim of managerial changes. He thrived under Gordon Milne and he didn't seem to be rated by Dave Sexton. Gordon Milne had gone to Leicester, he needed a replacement for Melrose (who he wanted to move on) and he knew Tommy was not playing here. A swap deal was done. I think Tommy never settled at Leicester or his other clubs (aside from Chelmsford).

DannyThomas_1981

It seemed to be in our favour, but Melrose was trouble.

Tommy was 18 when he made his debut (different times).

I think Tommy was a victim of managerial changes. He thrived under Gordon Milne and he didn't seem to be rated by Dave Sexton. Gordon Milne had gone to Leicester, he needed a replacement for Melrose (who he wanted to move on) and he knew Tommy was not playing here. A swap deal was done. I think Tommy never settled at Leicester or his other clubs (aside from Chelmsford).

Tommy English super confused me when I was a very young kid by being one of the first footballers to dye his hair bleach blond.....I seriously thought we had a new player for the first 45 minutes.

The Great Eastern

Was fortunate enough to have been there that day and distinctly remember Nicky Platnauer scoring with his face from a couple of yards out. Unconventional but effective..

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Gibbos 2nd goal was just before half time and loads of fans in the Kop where I was, had already bought their half time pies and beers to avoid the inevitable rush. First time I had seen many, many beers thrown into the air in celebration. Just coming up to half time and 3-0 up against the mighty Liverpool !

JimmyHillsbeard

On a similar note, anyone else see what Andy Blair did on Cup Final day?

Nope. Remind us! Wasn’t he at Vile at the time? Not convinced he has much love for the club tbh, heard of him tell terrifying stories abt training w Terry Yorath, and he regularly cropped up on CWR as guest summariser when we played Doncaster for whom his son plays.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Nope. Remind us! Wasn’t he at Vile at the time? Not convinced he has much love for the club tbh, heard of him tell terrifying stories abt training w Terry Yorath, and he regularly cropped up on CWR as guest summariser when we played Doncaster for whom his son plays.

He was at Coventry railway station on cup final morning when some nice people brought the overhead power lines down in the Willenhall area. The damage meant that trains were delayed and then diverted via Nuneaton.

Andy Blair stayed at the station until all the Coventry fans were on trains.

Didn't need to do it, decent bloke in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread